‹ Prequel: Something Else

Coin Laundry

second

It turned out that Pat wasn't one of those guys that waited a few days to call a girl. The morning after we met in the coin laundry, he texted me. He asked if it was okay for him to call, because he didn't know if I was working, or at school. I told him it was fine, because I was sitting by myself in the coffee shop on campus and didn't have anyone to talk to. My cell rang a minute later.

"Hey," I answered, felling a slight blush creep up to my cheeks.

"Hey, Ellie. How are you?" Pat was almost whispering when he spoke.

"I'm okay, I guess. I'm glad you called. Gives me a reason to take a study break."

"What are you studying?" he asked. He sounded genuinely interested.

I told Pat about my sociology class, which I took on a whim this semester, just to make sure I would be busy. We talked about school for a while, and then I asked him where he went, assuming that we were close in age. He told me that he didn't go to college, that he was currently touring the United States with his band. It came as a bit of a shock, but I decided that I liked that Pat was a musician.

"So that's why you weren't in town long, I guess," I said, sipping the cappuccino that I had just paid for.

"Yeah. I do live in Arizona though - in Tempe. Have you always lived in Tucson?"

"No, actually. I'm originally from Avra Valley. It's on the very outskirts of the city, right up interstate 10, near Marana. It's very small and very dry, even for Arizona."

Our conversation hit all the topics that help you get to know someone. Pat and I touched on family, hobbies, childhood, future career plans. We talked about music the longest though. I think Pat was afraid I might get tired of it, because he kept catching himself mentioning his band and would apologize. I thought it was interesting though, and always told him to continue. He seemed to really love what he was doing and it was refreshing to hear someone talk so passionately about their career.

"Okay, this time I'm not going to talk about the band. Tell me something else about you. What book were you reading yesterday? You looked completely engrossed in it when I walked in."

We had been talking for a long time, and I had already walked back to my dorm. My roommate, Lisa, was gone, which made me feel better about the stupid smile that I couldn't seem to wipe off my face. At least she wasn't there to bother me about it. I was sitting on my bed with my bag next to me, still full of books I should have been looking at.

"It was book of Greek myths. I really enjoy Greek mythology. I can't tell you how many books I have on it."

"Why aren't you taking a class on mythology, then?" Pat asked. He was still speaking quietly, almost whispering.

"Can't go anywhere with a degree in mythology, can I?"

"I guess not."

"Hey, where are you right now?" I questioned, curious.

"We just crossed Nevada's state line," he answered. "We're playing a show in Vegas tonight."

"Well, I meant that question on a smaller scale, but I take it you're driving then."

"Yeah, I'm in my bunk."

"I was just wondering if you were whispering because you didn't want to wake up your band or something."

"Sort of, the only one sleeping is John. I just didn't want the guys to start asking questions. It's been a while since I've called a girl while I was on tour. They'd make a big deal out of it."

"Oh," I said, not knowing how else I should respond. Pat seemed to think he said something wrong, because he apologized quickly.

"I didn't mean that I'm, um, ashamed of talking to you or anything. I just don't want the guys harassing you and scaring you away."

"No, no. I didn't take it like that. I just didn't know how to take it."

I let out an embarrassed chuckle and I heard Pat laugh softly. Our conversation flowed back easily and we spoke for another hour until Pat said they'd arrived at the venue and he had to go. We said our goodbyes and Pat promised to call me again tomorrow. To say I was excited was an understatement.

~ ~ ~

Pat did call me the next day, but our conversation was short because he'd only had time call right before his set. I wished him luck on stage and we both said goodbye. For the next few weeks, Pat called almost everyday. Surprisingly, we never ran out of things to talk about. We would always start the same way. We'd say hello, I'd ask about how tour was going, and Pat would ask about school, but that was the only thing that stayed the same.

I was always surprised that Pat took such an interest in me. I didn't understand why he continued to call and listen to me tell him stupid stories about my day and which professor I hated the most that week. Whenever we spoke it was always a treat for me, but I'd always though of myself as boring or plain. I didn't know what I was doing to keep Pat around. I didn't know what he found so interesting.

About three weeks after the first call, Pat told me that he'd be back in Arizona soon. I was excited to say the least. I hadn't actually seen him since the first time we met. We'd developed something teetering on the line between friends and something more through our phone calls. Pat had taken to telling me he missed me before we hung up, and I always told him I couldn't wait to see him again. I was a bit worried that I had developed some kind of feelings for a boy I only spoke to on the phone, and that I had developed them so quickly.

"I'll have to stop home first, the guys have to go home and I should see my family, but then I'm coming to see you."

"I'm excited to see you," I said, blushing. "I feel like I'm starting to forget what you look like. I don't like it."

Pat laughed. "I think I can be there in four days. I just have to figure out where I'm staying."

"I wish I could offer you a place to stay. I still haven't found an apartment I can afford. I'm actually looking online right now."

I was sitting at my desk in my dorm room. My laptop was on, and I was looking at apartments near campus. I had been planning to move out of my dorm at the end of the semester and go back home before moving into an apartment just before the fall semester started. The problem was my two part-time jobs didn't pay very much.

"Don't worry about it, Ellie. I'll make sure to stay somewhere close to the campus so we can hang out all the time."

"I really can't wait until you get here." I sighed and clicked on another apartment.

"It's only four days. You'll have to show me what being a college student is like when I get there," Pat suggested. I heard some muffled voices on his side and Pat apologized for his band mates being so loud. "I should go, actually. We have to head inside the venue and there's no service inside."

"Okay," I said, my face dropping into a frown.

"Don't sound all sad like that. It makes me sad," Pat ordered playfully. I could almost imagine the exaggerated pout on his face.

"Sorry," I said, smiling again. "We'll talk tomorrow?"

"Definitely. We'll be driving all day. I'll have nothing else to do."

"Okay. Bye Patty."

"Bye Ellie. I miss you."

My heart fluttered and I almost forgot to end the call.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's past midnight and I'm too lazy to review.
So I apologize for any mistakes.
Comment and subscribe!