Status: Completed!

Come One, Come All to This Tragic Affair

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

I spotted Gerard and made my way over to him.
“Hey man, where’ve you been?” Gee asked, glancing at the time. I was nearly an hour late.
“I met a girl.” I began.
“Now I know why you were late.” He smirked. “Too busy banging?”
“I was in my apartment getting ready to leave when I heard a crash. So I look outside and this girl had dropped all her groceries. I asked if she needed help and she fucking fainted. So I took her inside, made her some tea and checked the bump on her head.”
“She your next conquest?” Gee knows me well enough to know that if I’m telling him about a girl, I’m interested.
“There’s just one problem.” I tapped my left ring finger.
“She’s married?” I shook my head.
“Her husband passed away last year. I was gonna leave and I offered to call her husband and she said she didn’t have one. So I asked about the wedding ring she was wearing, she kinda burst into tears and that’s why I’m late.”
“What’s her name?”
“Jaden.” It took everything I had to not sigh like a chick when I said her name. “I didn’t get a last name but she had an accent like my aunt Rosa so I’m guessing she’s Italian.”
“Aww, Frankie has a crush.” Gee said in a high pitched voice. I swatted at him and changed the subject but my mind was still on Jaden.
I saw the neon blue Post it note on my door as soon as the elevator doors opened. I was curious to see what it said so I sped up my pace.
Thanks for taking care of me.
-J
I smiled and unlocked the door, hunting for a Post it note of my own. I finally found a boring yellow one and a pen.
Any time.
-F
I stuck it to her door before settling down with my guitar.
But my thoughts kept wandering to Jaden.
What must it be like to lose a husband that young? She couldn’t have been older than 25 or 26.
Aw shit.
I’ve got a crush on a girl who probably wants absolutely nothing to do with any guy.
She just lost her husband you fucktard. Don’t try and get down her pants.
I’ll just make sure she’s okay.
Often.
And in depth.
Oh who am I kidding?
There’s something about Jaden that makes me want to protect her. I could probably tuck her under my chin and hide her whole body in my jacket she was so small.
And considering how short I am that’s saying something.
--
My good deed for today is complete. I put a whole bag of fruits and vegetables in front of Jaden’s door. I’d had to go to the store anyway and I hadn’t seen any food in her apartment aside from the bags she’d dropped in the hallway.
Someone knocked on my door and I figured it was Jaden, coming to say thank you.
It was Jaden.
But she didn’t look like she was going to say thank you.
"I don’t know if it’s because you know about Danny or because you think I’m a poor little woman who can’t take care of herself, but I don’t need your fucking charity.” She spat, shoving the bag into my arms before spinning around and disappearing into her apartment.
I stood there for another shell shocked heartbeat before closing the door and putting the bag into my fridge.
The next morning I would find another note on my door.
I’m sorry. It was his birthday yesterday
-J