Status: Completed!

Come One, Come All to This Tragic Affair

Your Betrayal

These past two months have been hectic since we starting writing the album. I haven’t been able to check up on Jaden lately and I was starting to get worried.
Until Gerard mentioned he was looking for a gallery to put his art into and I remembered that Jaden owned one.
So he agreed to talk to her and then have me come pick him up so I could see her.
This is bordering on stalker behavior but I need to see how she’s doing and I’m not home enough during the day to knock on her door and ask.
My phone rang and I grabbed it.
“Hey man, can you come get me? We’re wrapping it up.” Gerard said.
“Be right there.” In five minutes I was walking up to Jaden’s gallery. I didn’t pay attention to any of the art hanging on the walls and headed back to where the secretary was sitting.
“Hi, I’m Gerard’s ride home.” I said to the blonde girl at the desk. She nodded and got up to open a door I assumed led to Jaden’s office.
“Mr. Way, I think your ride is here.” She said, sticking her head into the office. I walked in and Jaden almost choked on whatever was in that cup.
I waited quietly while she got her breath back. She brushed her hair out of her eyes and I followed the movement of her hand.
She blushed bright red when she caught me staring and looked down.
“It’s nice to see you again.” I said softly. I leaned against the desk, hovering over her.
“I haven’t gone anywhere.” Her voice was almost as quiet as mine as she looked up at me from under her bangs.
“That’s true.” I’ve never wanted a girl as bad as I want Jaden. “Shall I apologize?” I leaned closer, close enough that I could feel her breath on my face.
Close enough to kiss if she moved forward at all.
“Stop smoking.” She blurted out. “My husband passed from lung cancer.”
The mention of her husband brought me back to earth. I can’t go about my usual way of getting a girl to like me with Jaden. I have to go slow, be careful.
She’s not a bimbo like most of the girls I date.
“No promises.” I chucked her under the chin gently before walking out, Gerard close behind me.
“Is she always like that?” He asked once we were out of the building.
“Like what?” My mind was still on Jaden.
“She doesn’t smile. At all.”
“Her husband died, give her a break.”
“You’ve got it pretty bad for her don’t you?”
“There’s just something about her. I can’t explain it.” Something about Jaden makes me want to protect her, want to pull her into my arms and never let go.
--
I came home later to find another one of Jaden’s neon blue notes on my door.
You, me, Lord of the Rings marathon at eight?
-J
It was seven-forty right now, so I took the fastest shower of my life, changed into clean clothes and grabbed a six pack of beer from my fridge.
She opened the door and if I didn’t know about her husband, I would have kissed her right then. She was wearing a tight-fitting Green Day t-shirt, jeans and purple socks.
“Oh good, now I don’t have to get my own beer.” She took it out of my hand and I admit it, I checked her out as she walked away.
Calm down Frank. Remember you have to go slowly.
“There’s pizza in the kitchen if you want some. Sorry it’s all veggie, I’m a vegetarian.” She came back in munching on a slice.
“Me too.” I grinned and her face twitched like she was trying to smile. She grabbed two plates and passed one to me. Then she took two beers out of the fridge and handed one to me.
“I met someone who could crack these open with his eye.” In the time she’d dug around a drawer looking for a bottle opener I’d opened my beer and her’s.
“Jaden.” She looked up and saw the open bottle I was holding out to her.
“Thanks.” She took a long swig of it.
Why is it that I’m finding everything she does attractive?
I must not have gotten laid in a long ass time.
Or maybe it’s just her.
“Oh, it’s starting.” She jumped onto the couch and sat down Indian style, her plate on her lap. I sat on the other side of the couch, not trusting myself to sit closer.
“I didn’t peg you for a LOTR fan-girl.” I remarked after a while.
“There’s a lot you don’t know about me.” She tipped the bottle back and drained it.
“There’s a lot I’d like to know.” I said before I thought about it. She turned to look at me, sadness clouding her eyes.
“I’m gonna get another beer. You want one?” I shook my head and she got one for herself. “Okay magic boy, open this one.” I popped it open for her and she took a swig.
“Not to sound like a killjoy, but go easy on that stuff.”
“I’m fine.” She shrugged. “But thanks for actually giving a shit.”
Halfway through The Two Towers Jaden had drunk three beers total and was lying down with her head on my leg.
I’d completely frozen up when she lay down but had started to relax again when she showed no signs of moving.
“Can I ask you a question?” I asked.
“Shoot.” Her eyes were closed and I noticed how long her eyelashes were.
“If we had met under different circumstances would you be interested in me?” Her eyes opened slowly and she looked up at me for a long moment.
“I would be interested. Either way.” Her voice was so soft I almost didn’t hear it. “And I hate myself for it.”
“Why?”
“Because I’m betraying my fucking husband.” She sat up and ran one hand through her hair, her wedding ring glinting in the light. “Can you just, give me a minute?”
“Take all the time you need Jaden.” I squeezed her hand and left.
I don’t know whether to feel happy that she’s attracted to me or like an ass because it’s hurting her.