Love Is All in the Past

Chapter 1 (Time Travel sucks!)
“Katelyn come on!” A girl called. I turned around and saw my roommate/ best friend running to me. We were supposed to go to the movies and see some horror, drug filled film and she was running late as per usual. She finally reached me breathing heavily from pushing through hundreds of bodies on the New York street.
“Finally where the hell were you?” I huffed. Hey it may not be the nicest greeting, but if you were in New York in December in one black leather jacket, a pair of dark denim skinny jeans, black boots with grey fur trimming with heels, and a form fitting red shirt saying “Sleep all day, Party all night,” in gold curly writing I wasn’t exactly the warmest but cutest yes. Now don’t get me wrong I’m not those types of girls who fawn over their looks and care what people think about them, but I do like to look semi-decent. With my mid back chocolate colored hair, hazel eyes, fair skin, and 5’3 height I would sound pretty cute. Not what people think when they see me. I’m not skinny. I’m not fat either, but being a size 13 in jeans with a chest sized with the initials of Daisy Duke I even out. Don’t get me wrong I’m not ugly the only problem is my weight. I’m still no Jessica Alba though and lets face it…guys these days want hot girls with hot bodies with IQs of a squirrel. And compared to my friend Elle I’m the cute one next to the super model. She’s 5’6 with shoulder length light brown hair, green eyes, and an athletic figure shes the eye candy in the group. *Sigh* Ok enough of my sad love life and back to me freezing my ass off.
We were walking to the theater and watching people pass by with bags of Christmas decorating or presents so you could feel the holiday spirit. The snow had been falling since Monday, and that was 3 days ago, so the snow was piling up along side the side walk. Then Elle pulled me down an alley way claiming a “shortcut”. Only one problem. What usually happens when 2 girls walk down an alley way in the night in movies? Any Guesses? Well lets just say we aren’t getting to that movie tonight.
A group of 6 maybe 7 guys were hanging out at the other end drinking and smoking when we stumbled upon them. They all glanced up when I accidently kicked a beer can out of the way. I’ve always had bad luck with a lot of things, so of course it was me that made our presence known. We just stared at each other in the dark and scummy alleyway. Then the worst happened. Well worst for Elle, good for me. The men started walking up to us and grinning evilly when everything just stopped. The men walking, Elle backing up, and the cars passing by. Kinda like when someone hits pause on a remote. It just…stopped. I started to wave my hand in front of Elle’s face and smacking her in the head. Really, really hard too!
The only thing that accomplished is my hand throbbing in pain (I must have broke something) and a chuckle. Wait? A chuckle? From who? I looked around and saw a figure at the end of the alley where we were heading. The only thing I could make out was that it was female, but I couldn’t see a face in the shadow. She walked…no glided to where I stood and stopped about a foot in front of me. She was gorgeous, almost like an angel but with more grace and power.
“Who are you? What are you? What happened to my fri-?” I started babbling, but she grabbed my hand the one I had sprained or fractured and lightly touched it. I flinched from the touched not because she intended to hurt me but because her hands were cold. She seemed deep in though and murmured something in another language. It was beautiful though I couldn’t understand what was being spoken. For all I know she could be contemplating on how to chop my hand off without causing a mess. Then she looked up at me and smiled. Her blue eyes looked old and wise but she couldn’t be more then 30 and with her long golden curly hair it deducted even more years from her face. And her ears were pointed? What the hell did I come across?
She continued to stare at me and then she spoke. Or more like thought. “Hello Katelyn,” said a smooth and velvety voice and somehow I knew it was her, “I’ve come to you from the past in another world.”
“What world? And how are you talking to me in my head?” I asked hoping to sound calm and collected. Yeah that didn’t work out. My voice sounded and felt rough and almost like I am recovering from having my tonsils taken out. I flushed from embarrassment at how different we were. She’s this tall graceful beautiful woman, and I’m…well I’m not. I looked down in shame and felt the back of my eyes starting to sting indicating I’m about cry. I’ve always been sensitive when it came to comparing myself to other girls. ‘Great know she gonna call me a wuss and a child. You would think since I’m 19 and in college I would have grown up by now.’ She continued to stare still and there was a sadness to them, but no pity.
“Katelyn you are beautiful whether you see it or not. I do not think you a child but a sensitive young woman just discovering new things in life. You are also destined for great things and you personally will change the way people think and feel. So do not doubt yourself so greatly.” She smiled a little more and seemed to look off into space as she gazed over my head, which shouldn’t be very hard considering she had to be what 5’8? 5’9?
I started to really calculate the situation I’m currently in. In a dark alleyway, at 10ish, with everything on pause, with a beautiful…what is she anyways there is no way she is human? She was dressed in a long flowing white dress with sleeves that seemed stretched out. She shook her head a little and looked back at me with a certain serious and determined expression.
“You are right I’m not human, but a She-Elf,” She stated. And I must have looked like a fool because my mouth dropped open and it was my turn to stare. “You’re kidding right?”
She looked amused at my reaction and I would to. “No I am not ‘kidding’ as you humans call it. I am here to ask you to aid a group of people and creatures to destroy evil and restore peace.” And here I am thinking I was gonna be bored tonight watching a movie. The thing though is I believe her. There was something about her that seemed to be telling the truth and not just some crack pot trying to kill me or something along those lines.
She chuckled again. “Yes I am aware of how things work in this society, but I must ask you something serious. It will be dangerous and risky but I must ask.” She said quietly, “will you come back to my world and help change the course of history?”
I wondered what it would be like in her world. Are there such things as cell phones, computers, cars? Do they dress like us, or would I be considered a freak. But hey what the hell why not, I don’t have much for me going on here and I always said if I could I would go back in time before pollution and deconstruction of our historic rainforests.
“When would I leave?” I asked excitedly. I was almost jumping up and down on my toes and an extreme adrenalin rush was coursing through my veins. “It will be dangerous and you could be risking your life.” She repeated.
I looked at her, “I think I’m ready for this.”
“Then I suggest you start packing.” She grinned at my excitement. I started to run away when I turned around and spoke to her. “Um, what should I pack? And whats going to happen to Elle?” She looked guilty and a little depressed. “She is going to be severely hurt and traumatized but other than that she should be fine. As for packing, well, the essentials would be needed and maybe a few changes of clothes that are, uh, dressy.” She had a look in her eye that said something was up.
“Why?” I questioned. She just smiled. Ok what is going to happen? Oh, whatever let’s get this show on the road so I can have some fun in my life BEFORE I die. I proceeded to cross the road and walked a few blocks east to my apartment. The lady followed me soundlessly and without effort. I unlocked my door and turned the corner to my room and entered. “You know I still don’t know your name.” I asked while pulling my volleyball bag from high school out from underneath my queen sized bed. Silence. I sighed as I grabbed the important things like tooth brush, toothpaste, razor, shampoo, conditioner, brush, tampons, pads, make up just in case I needed it, and deodorant. Then I started on the clothes from undergarments to jeans and shirts to a couple of dresses that I have gotten from going to parties like prom and fundraisers and on the few dates I have actually been asked to go on. I turned to her and she was just gazing around my room with mild interest in her eyes. I cleared my throat to get her attention.
“Um, one is it cold where I’m going, two I don’t know how to fight or defend myself in any way shape or form, and three I STILL don’t know your name.” She just smiled again. Grr, that is really starting to annoy the shit out of me. “One yes it is so bring warm garments, two already taken care of, and three all in good time.” Hm, interesting on the fighting, am I maybe getting a knight and shining armor or a dashing prince with his own fighting skills. Theres that Goddamned chuckle again. “All in good time my dear, all in good time.” She repeated.
I took a quick look around my room for anything I might have missed and grabbed my journal off my night stand. As I did that something fell out. It was my diamond heart necklace with my mothers wedding and engagement ring on the end. I felt a quick pang of sadness at remembering that night and shoved it aside. I put the necklace on over my head and it rested on my chest. It was one of those long chains that girls wear to attract eyes down to their cleavage but when I wear it, it just disappears down there. Ha ha right? It was my mothers and she passed it on to me and for 4 years its been my ‘good’ luck charm. I tucked my journal into the side zipper of my bag so I could record everything that will happen while I’m there. I looked at my walls covered in posters of bands, movies, and paintings. My walls were painted a light green, while the bedspread is a medium color pink. I had pictures everywhere of family and friends throughout the years and my computer stand is covered in school books, CD’s, DVD’s, and my laptop. Over in the corner was a book shelf covered from top to bottom in my favorite books. I grabbed a ‘Go Green’ backpack and shoved as many of my most wanted books into it and swung it onto my back with the other bag on my shoulder going across my chest and back.
“Traveling light are we?” she questioned.
“Well I love to read and since I’m going back in time I know that there’s no electricity. And besides I’ve carried more, this is nothing compared to what I have to carry around the college.” I giggled at remember my first day and all the books, folders, notebooks, and laptop equipment I had to lug around all day.
“There will be a lot of walking and you’re going to have to carry it all by yourself.” She continued. So I just humored her and put a few back.
“Happy? Now who knows, maybe I’ll go insane slowly with boredom.” I mumbled. I made sure I had Pride and Prejudice still in there along with Romeo and Juliet. I had a few other classic love stories in there. What? I’m a sucker for love since my life lacks it. Can you blame me? I took one last glance around and turned toward my new travel agent.
“Ok lead the way Obi one Kenobi.” As I gestured toward her I noticed my right hand. It was swollen and turning a faint purple. Great I’m going somewhere dangerous and my dominate hand is broken. Just flipping great.
She glanced at my hand and said “when you get there, someone will help you with that. You can trust him with your life, but you have to earn his trust.”
“Who is he?” I questioned I’m sorry to admit rather rudely. I must be PMS’ing. Or its just the fact that I’m tired, hungry, and have a broken hand.
“A ranger from the north that goes by Strider. He will come in a few days after you get there. That is all I can tell you. After this I can no longer help you. Only you can along with the friends you will meet along the way.” Great I’m going to an Era that doesn’t exist in my world without maps or guidance. Lovely. Note the sarcasm.
“Ok I’m ready,” as ready as I’ll ever be. She just stood there and looked me up and down. If I didn’t know better I’d say she was sizing me but I could tell that was not the case. She looked me in the eyes then. Blue to Hazel. “You really will make a difference. You will see just how much one person can change the course of time. There will be hard ship and conflicts but I believe you will be able to overcome them.” And as an after thought, “Oh, and Katelyn?” I nodded for her to continue, “Don’t let the attention go to your head and keep your mind focused on the mission at hand.” I looked at her strangely almost as if I was questioning her sanity. “What attention and why wouldn’t I keep my mind the mission?” She turned around and slightly glanced back.
“I know you won’t do those dear. I’m just saying just in case it does happen.”
“In case what happens?” I urged her to go on.
“Good bye my beautiful and wise wolf and have a safe journey.” She ignored my question and waved her hand almost as if she was swatting a fly away. My room started to spin really fast but I wasn’t moving. The last thing I heard before everything stopped was the she-elf saying to stay off the road and look for Frodo Baggins in the Shire.
When everything stopped I looked around. I was in a forest or type of woods and everything was bright, beautiful, and clean. I breathed in deeply and the fresh air was almost like a shock to my lungs. I smiled and looked straight. Then left. Then Right. Um, which way do I go? I spun in a circle to look for any type of life besides birds. Nothing. Now I was really getting nervous and scared. I started to fidget and snap my fingers just so that I would be doing something. After about an hour of walking around. I was near hysteria. I hate being by myself. I hate not knowing where to go. And I hate myself for freaking out so easily. Snap.
I whipped around to see a fox just staring at me. Then It ran up ahead and looked back at me. I of course being the idiot that I am didn’t understand what it wanted. It ran back my way stopped about 20 feet in front of me. Twitched its tail and ran back the other way looking back at me again. Did It want me to follow it? Can I trust it? “Well here goes nothing.” Great I’m talking to myself, next thing you know I’m going to answer myself. So I followed the glossy looking fox for about 20 minutes before it disappeared. CRAP! ‘Where are you foxy foxy foxy.’ As I walked forward I stumbled down a steep hill onto rocks that littered the stream. And off the record OUCH!!!!! I got up and looked at my jeans not dirty. Hm, I could come to like this place. My hand on the other hand (ha no pun intended) was cut and really broken this time. Great not only is it swollen to three times it size but its cut also maybe needing stitches and my index and thumb are pointing at angles I’m sure their not supposed to face. This just keeps getting better and better doesn’t it. I had to cross the steam to get to the other side since there was no bridge. Instead there where rocks and let me tell you walking in 3 inch heels on rocks across water…not easy. I got it though and then I pushed a bunch of shrubs asides and came across a little village of huts inside hills. They were cute don’t get me wrong, it reminded me of something the seven dwarfs might use as a home. However these were small homes with huge round doors. And as I got closer I noticed people. And now I understand why the house were small. These people came up to my stomach, and I’m short as it is! Little people with hairy feet that looked at me as if I was the circus that came to town.
What did I get myself into now?