Love Is All in the Past

Love Is All In The Past (A Legolas/Aragorn Love Story) Chapter 3

Chapter 3 (The Ranger From The North)
We finally reached Bree and it was pouring. I was wearing a cloak Gandalf had given me and it wasn’t really helping matters much. My hair had fallen out of my ponytail while we were running for our lives and the water was making it curl. I love my hair on most days but now not so much. Since there are no straightening irons I’m going to have to go with my naturally curly. We looked around before we ran up to a wooden wall with a door in it and knocked. It took a moment but finally someone answered…by opening a piece in the door to look out. It was to high up even for the man to see me. I blushed at that since I didn’t really like being short. He closed that and opened on that was lower and saw us finally.
“What do you want?” he asked rather rudely. Jerk.
“We’re heading for the Prancing Pony.” Frodo answered.
The man closed the hole and I thought for a second he wasn’t going to let us in. Then I heard a latch pull back and the door opened. I sighed a little since we wouldn’t have to stay out in the rain. I was hoping they had a fire place in the Prancing Pony so I could dry off and not get sick.
“Hobbits! Four Hobbits. And a woman! What business brings you to Bree?” he inclined.
“We wish to stay at the inn. Our business is our own.” I stated giving the old man a cold stare since he was sizing me.
“All right young miss. All right. I meant no offense it’s my job to ask questions after nightfall.” He moved to the side as we walked past toward the inn. We walked down a street and had to dodge a few people pulling carts but we eventually found it. I figured we had to look around for a bit but the sign was right in front of us swinging in the wind.
We walked in and of course it was a bar. I hate bars since something bad always happens in them. It was warm though and Gandalf said he would be here waiting for us. So I wasn’t going to say anything.
I looked around and didn’t see him though. Just a bunch of drunk men and smoke from pipes filled the room. Uh-oh.
“Excuse me?” Frodo asked a man behind a counter. The man turned around and looked for whoever said that. He saw me and smiled politely but I looked down toward Frodo showing the man that it was he who had spoke to him.
“Good evening little masters and lady. If your seeking a commendation I’ve got some nice cozy Hobbit sized rooms available. And of course a nice single for you miss. Mr.-“ He looked at Frodo waiting for him to say his last name. Frodo hesitated just for a moment and said, “Underhill. My names Underhill.” I almost giggled at that.
“Underhill.” The man repeated almost as if he doubted that.
“We’re friends of Gandalf the Grey. Can you tell him we’ve arrived.” I asked the man nicely. He looked at me confused for a moment.
“Gandalf? Gandalf? Oh yes. Now I remember him. Elderly fellow. Big grey beard and pointed hat. Not seen him for 6 months.”
My heart sank at hearing that. Lovely. We looked at each other and Sam asked, “What do we do now?” Good question. What do we do now?
We found a table and sat down. They all got beer and started to drink though not to get drunk. They offered me some but I declined saying I don’t like it. Which is true but I do drink alcohol. I just prefer the fruit stuff.
Sam was looking around and it was making me anxious. “Sam, he’ll be here.” Frodo said to calm him down. “Won’t he Katelyn?” He looked at me. I just nodded my head at Sam and smiled. “Of course.”
“What’s that?” Pippin looked in love as he stared at the big mug Merry just brought back.
“This my friend, is a pint.” Merry said before taking a gulp.
“It comes in pints? I’m getting one.”
“You had a whole half already!” Sam stated as Pippin half ran towards the bar.
We sat in silence as I stared at the far wall imagining patterns appearing. I got a whole field of flowers and mountains and was just about to start livestock when Sam said something.
“Huh? I’m sorry Sam what did you say?” I asked.
He repeated, “That fellows done nothing but stare at us since we arrived.” Frodo tried to look sneaky and look at the guy. Me on the other hand just whipped my head around and say who he was talking about. A man was sitting in the corner by the fire smoking a pipe. I couldn’t see his face since he had his hood up but I noticed that when I looked at him he turned his head toward my direction and watched me.
I suddenly felt self-conscious and looked away. “Ignore him.” I said and went back to drawing my livestock.
“Excuse me? That man in the corner? Who is he?” Frodo asked the bartender or innkeeper whoever he was. Frodo I said ignore him!
“He’s one of them Rangers. Dangerous folk they are. What his right name is I’ve never heard but around here he’s known as Strider.” He said and walked away. I sighed and shook my head. The type of people I just love. Think they can take on anyone. Wait isn’t that the name of the guy the Elf told me I could trust? I studied him from where I sat and what I saw didn’t look reassuring. He looked, and this is a guess from sitting down 6’2 and built. Not steroid built but enough muscle to make me think twice about starting a fight with him.
My hand was starting to throbbing so I cradled it to my chest. At least it had a pillow. I hated my big chest since that was what guys only liked about me. I glanced back over to Strider and saw he was still looking my way but he was staring at my hand now. Does he think just because my hand is broken I can’t still fight? Or is he wondering what happened?
I noticed Frodo playing with the Ring again. Every time he does that he goes into a sort of trance.
“Baggins? Sure I know a Baggins. He’s over there. Frodo Baggins.” Pippin you idiot! I looked at the men around him and they were all staring over towards us. Oh my God now what? Frodo decided to run to Pippin I’m guessing to tell him to shut up. I saw Strider remove his pipe from his lips and watch Frodo as he crossed the room.
“Pippin!” Frodo exclaimed and Pippin it looked liked shoved him away and Frodo tripped over someone’s foot. As he was going down I saw the ring fly from Frodo’s hand up in the air and down toward his finger. Crap I told you something bad always happens in bars. Strider sat up in his chair a watched also and as soon as the ring fell onto Frodo finger…he disappeared. I glanced where Frodo once was and back at Strider who was no longer there. I got up out of my seat and grabbed a walking stick that was just sitting there with no one around. I scanned the bar quickly and saw the man pulling Frodo up the stair toward the sleeping areas. Sam saw this to and told Merry and Pippin who also grabbed things to attack that man with.
I shoved people out of the way as I ran for the stairs and up them. The guys were behind me as I listened for talking down the quiet hallway. I heard a voice and then someone answering who sounded like Frodo. I kicked the door in and Sam yelled out “Let him go! Or I’ll have you, Longshanks.” I almost laughed but this wasn’t a funny moment.
The man had pulled out a sword when I kicked the door open. So maybe the walking stick wasn’t a good idea but it was still a weapon.
“You have a stout heart, little Hobbit, but that will not save you. You can no longer wait for the wizard Frodo.” So that wasn’t a walking stick Gandalf had? He’s a wizard and he couldn’t fix my hand? That just freaking sucks. “They’re coming.” Strider said. He slid his sword back into its place by his side and turned away. If they’re coming shouldn’t he keep that out?
I got a good look at him now since he wasn’t wearing his hood. He had shoulder length brown hair with dark brown eyes. He was nicely tan from being outside a lot and he was muscular even underneath all of that clothing. He had to be around his early 30’s and 6’2 in height. I was right! My head would just reach his chest if I stood next to him.
He brought us to a different room and we got ready for bed. I had changed into a pair of sweat pants and tank top and pulled my hair into another ponytail. I walked back into the room and saw the guys already in bed. I smiled slightly and glanced over at Strider who was staring out the window.
“You know you should rest.” He said without looking at me. He turned towards me and studied my outfit. Of course he’s never seen it before; women these days must wear nightgowns. Yes of course master.
“What happened to your hand?” he asked suddenly looking at my hand. “Oh I fell a few times and popped a few fingers out of place.”
He got up from the chair and crossed the room towards me. He went to grab my hand and I flinched away. I didn’t know this man no matter what the Elf lady said and besides I didn’t want him hurting my hand even more.
He paused before looking at me. The message was clear in his eyes. I slowly moved my hand towards his direction and hissed in pain when he took my hand. For someone with big hands and huge muscles ha sure was gently.
“May I pop them back in place?” he asked kindly. I shook my head and tried to pull my hand back but he wouldn’t let me. He looked guilty for a spit second and then determined. I was beginning to wonder what he was thinking when he popped them into the right spot. The shock passed quickly before the pain took over. It was like someone took a hammer and started pounding on my knuckles over and over again. I cried out in pain and Strider laid my head on his shoulder so I could silently cry away the pain. He was saying he was sorry but he had to for them to heal right. I let the tears fall for a few more minutes before I sat up and wiped them away.
“Um, ouch.” Was all I said as I got up and headed for the bed next to the Hobbits. He chuckled and went back to his own little corner in his own little chair. “Good night Strider.” I mumbled. He grunted in response. Humph. Rude much.
I had that dream about the eye again only thing new was that those cloaked figures were after us. Strider had us stay in his room and still be ‘checked in’ the Hobbit rooms. I was running away from them and they were gaining on me even though I full out sprinting. I tripped over a tree trunk, of course only me, and fell on my stomach. I flipped around saw that one of them was standing over me. He spoke to me in a language I had never heard before and when I didn’t answer he screeched along with the others and plunged his sword down into my stomach.
I sat up in bed sweating and panting. My hand flew to my stomach and I clutched my necklace with the other one. I pushed my hair out from in front of my face and looked over at the Hobbits. They were glancing at the window where Strider still was gazing out of.
“What are they?” I asked as I got up out of bed and stood next to Strider looking out the window toward the cloaked figures. He glanced at me before looking to the Hobbits.
“They were once Men. Great Kings of Men. Then Sauron the Deceiver gave to them nine rings of power. Blinded by their greed, they took the them without question. One by one, falling into darkness.” He turned back toward the window and continued, “Now they are slaves to his will. They are the Nazgul. Ringwraiths. Neither living nor dead. At all times they feel the presence of the Ring drawn to the power of the One. They will never stop hunting you. “Ter-freaking-riffic. The sun was beginning to show over the tops of the houses so we got everything packed and ready to go. We ate a loaf of bread with some fruit when I could have dealt with pancakes and we were off. Oh and I got new boots. Though they were guy boots and slightly bigger then what I needed but they were better then what I had at the moment. I had changed out of my PJ’s and into a pair of light denim skinny jeans with a black studded belt and a dark green spaghetti strap shirt that did a little V with lace topping it. To top that I had the cloak on since apparently men here had never seen boobs. Long Story short a man at the inn thought something bad of me at my appearance and started to hit on me. The guys didn’t like that and after a few threatening words from Strider and the showing of a knife the man backed off. My hair I was able to work with this morning and it was down in its naturally wavy state and it didn’t make me look half bad since I had no shower and nothing to straighten my hair with.
“Where are you taking us?” Frodo asked as we navigated through trees and over rocks.
“Into the wild.” Strider answered.
I was walking along side Frodo when Merry whispered, “How do we know this Strider is a Friend of Gandalf?”
“We have no choice but to trust him.” Frodo muttered back.
“I think we can. If he wanted us dead he would have done it a while ago.” I said as I hopped over a tree root.
“But where’s he’s leading us?” Sam asked while pulling Bill behind him. Bill’s the horse by the way. Strider asked if I wanted to ride him but declined. He was already carrying our stuff. No need to add my big butt to the equation.
“To Rivendell, Master Gamgee.” Strider said over his shoulder, “To the house of Elrond.”
“Did you hear that Katelyn? Rivendell. We’re going to see the Elves.” Sam said. I noticed that he was nearly jumping up and down for joy.
“Is that something you always wanted to do Sam?” I questioned.
“Oh yes miss Katelyn always. What about you?”
“I’ve already met one and I nearly fainted from shock.” I giggled at the memory. Was it really only 3 days ago? It felt like a couple weeks maybe. “She seemed pretty nice, but what I want to see is a really cute male elf with muscles and great manners.” I imagined a guy about 6 foot tall with little brown hair down to his shoulders and piercing green eyes. Maybe that vision will come true. Strider looked back at me and smiled slightly at how I was trying to imagine a good looking guy. There was something in his eyes though that flashed but was then gone. I just shrugged it off and continued to walk through trees. I was thinking about what was going on back at my world before I left for here. War in the Middle-East, economy going down the drain, Obama becoming President (Did they Presidents here?), and job layoffs on the rise. I wasn’t paying attention to where I was walking and my foot got caught in a root that was growing out of the ground. I fell down on my knees and felt a sharp pain shoot threw my legs to my hips. Oh my God why can’t I walk without falling?!? I was about to get up when a hand was offered to me. I looked up and saw Strider standing there and Frodo and Sam behind him. Merry and Pippin were a little ways away. I grabbed Strider’s hand and he pulled me up as if I weighed nothing, which I know I don’t weight nothing. He carried me bridal style to the horse and put me on side saddle.
“I said I didn’t want to be a burden to the horse. I can walk just fine thank you very much!” I said as I was about to hop off. Strider put both his hands on the side of me and leaned forward so I had nowhere to go.
“Stay. On. The. Horse. Katelyn.” He pronounced every word slowly as if I was stupid! The nerve of that man!
“You did not just talk to me that way.” I said as I got in his face by leaning down. Being the stubborn person I am I just couldn’t let it go. I felt myself getting ready to burst. I never EVER liked being told what to do. One reason to never live in the era where men ruled.
“Yes I just did. Are you going to do anything about it?” he said with a rather cruel smirk though his eyes were smiling. He had leaned forward to as he was talking and it made me catch my breath. He was quite handsome and his blue eyes were mesmerizing. I realized what I was thinking about and shook my head to clear my thoughts.
“Not yet I won’t but I will get even soon Strider. When I learn to sword fight I’m calling a match.” I said and sat up. I started stroking the horses mane and he neighed. Aw he likes this.
“Billy you know you remind me of a dog when you do that.” I whispered to him. His ear just twitched from my breath hitting it. Strider had gone and up ahead before stopping. I frown and looked down at my side where the Hobbits were on the ground.
“What are you doing?” I asked puzzled. Before Merry could answer Strider asked his own question.
“Gentlemen, we do not stop till nightfall.”
“What about breakfast?” Pippin asked looking almost shocked that he would even ask. I chuckled already knowing that Hobbits could eat enough food for 3 people.
“You’ve already had it.”
“We’ve had one, yes. But what about second breakfast.” Strider just stared for a moment at him and walked on without us.
“Don’t think he knows about second Breakfast Pip.” Merry replied. “What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn’t he?” Pippin was getting worried. “I wouldn’t count on it.”
“Don’t worry Pip I don’t think he’d let you starve…much.” I chuckled as he nearly tripped turning towards me. An apple soared through the air and into Merry’s hands. Then another one hit Pippin in the head and rolled to the ground. He looked up at the sky and frowned. Wow.
“Can I have one?” I yelled out and not 3 seconds later another one was heading my way and I caught it with my left hand in mid air. “Thank you!”
“You’re Welcome!”
I started the horse at a gallop to catch up with Strider. We didn’t speak, but we were in a comfortable silence. And we stayed like that until it was time to rest. Only this time it wasn’t a nice and cozy inn. It was pile of ruins and rubble that seemed to have been destroyed awhile ago.
“What is this place?” I whispered afraid that if I talked normally I might attract attention from things I would rather not know I existed.
We had walked over the last of the hills, arriving at the decomposing ruins that we say from the bottom of the hill.
“This was the great watch tower of Amon Sûl.” Strider stated as he turned to look at the hobbits and me,” We shall rest here tonight.” I really didn’t have a good feeling about this.
We finally reached the watch tower and climbed to the top wear there was a sort of court. The hobbits drop their bags and sat down. I walked out toward the edge and gazed across the plains that took us all day to cross when it didn’t even look that long. Strider walked up to my side and I nearly cried out. That man can sure move as if he was the wind itself. He just looked out over the plains below before nodding for me to walk back towards the Hobbits. He bent down and started to unwrap some small swords for the hobbits and a regular sized one for me and another one with a slightly shorter blade. They were crafted beautifully and the blades were a kind of metal but shinier and stronger. “These are for you. Keep them close, I'm going to have a look round.” The hobbits unsheathed their swords and looked at them. “Stay here.” He demanded and left the tower.
He just left us here to defend ourselves! I don’t know how to fight. Especially with a sword. Uh-oh there’s that bad feeling again.