Love Is All in the Past

Love Is All In The Past (A Legolas/Aragorn Love Story) Chapter 6

Chapter 6 (The Adventure of a Lifetime)

When the meeting started you could feel the tension in the air. I was looking around the area and saw fear, determination, and strength in the eyes of the men. I saw Strider was studying the faces of every single one of the people in the circle. He got to me and I smiled at him. He tilted his head to the right of him. I was confused for a moment and stared at him.

“What?” I mouthed to him. He moved his eyes over to someone in the circle and then it hit. Duh! He’s trying to show me something. I looked over to an Elf who was looking at Lord Elrond as he stood up to speak to us. Well he wasn’t my brunette but he was even better! He had long blond hair down to about the middle of his back with these electric blue eyes that I would throw myself in. He had to be 6’0 or taller even sitting down you can see he was toned and well shaped out.

He was gorgeous! I looked over at Strider who was looking back at me. I smiled at him again and nodded my head saying I saw him and approved. I looked back at the Elf and saw he was looking between me and Strider with this confused expression. I blushed at him for noticing me staring at him.

I brought my attention back to Lord Elrond as he began his speech that would decide the ring.

“Strangers from distant lands, friends of old. You have been summoned here to answer the threat of Mordor. Middle Earth stands upon the brink of destruction. None can escape it. You will unite or you will fall. Each race is bound to this fate, this one doom.” He looked over to Frodo and beckoned him forward. He looked scared for a moment and looked at me. I nodded my head showing him it was ok to listen to him. “Bring forth the Ring, Frodo.”

Frodo walks over to the stone plinth in the middle of the circle and carefully puts the Ring down on it. Everyone stared at it as Frodo went and sat back down. It seemed he let go of a great burden when the ring left his hands. I looked at it and wrapped my arms around myself. I just did not like this ring! Guinevere looked at me with concern written all over face. She put her hand on my arm to try to comfort me. The Elf that I was looking at before looked at me then at Guinevere. A man began to speak and I looked over to him to hear what he had to say.

He put his hand to his mouth and muttered, “So it's true.” What’s true?

The Elf and a Dwarf were eyeing the Ring suspiciously as if it was seemingly speaks to them. That man stood up and started to speak again. I was already starting to not like this man.

“It is a gift. A gift to the foes of Mordor. Why not use this ring? Long has my father the Steward of Gondor kept the forces of Mordor at Bay. By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe?” By now he is walking around. Good speech if I didn’t know that he just wanted the ring. “Give Gondor the weapon of the Enemy. Let us use it against him.” It looks like Strider had had enough of this guys talk since he stood up and argued with the man.

“You cannot use it! None of us can. The one ring answers to Sauron alone. It has no other master.”

“And what would a ranger know of this matter?” replied the man with this disgusting sneer on his face. I was going to go slug that guy but Guinevere held me down and I started to struggle against her. Strider looked at me quickly and shook his head. I didn’t have to say anything though since that Elf stood up and spoke up for both of us.

“This is no mere Ranger. He is Aragorn, Son of Arathorn.” Aragorn? So that’s his real name! He had me calling him Strider for about a month now? “You owe him your allegiance.”

We all looked over at Aragorn, but I was the only one with confusion and anger in my eyes. I know I was over reacting but I hate being lied to. I hate not knowing these things. I looked away and decided to ignore Aragorn for awhile.

“Aragorn? This is Isildur’s heir?” That man questioned.

“An heir to the throne of Gondor.” The elf finished.

Now Aragorn’s a KING! I turned my head over to Guinevere who looked as though she was enjoying the show. I shook my head at my new friend and giggled just because. I was just about to whisper to Guinevere when Gandalf caught my eye. He was smiling at me but glancing over to where the Elf and Aragorn were with that Gondor man. What was that about?

“Havo dad, Legolas.” (Sit down, Legolas.) Aragorn motioned with his hands for Legolas to sit. I official understand Elvish yippie. And I found out the name of the elf. That’s a plus!

The man looked mean when he turned to Legolas and said, “Gondor has no King. Gondor needs no King.” When he sat do he stared at Aragorn with such malice and hate on his face.

“Just let me hit him once please, Guinevere! I promise I won’t do too much damage.” I whispered quietly. I guess I wasn’t quiet enough because Lord Elrond, Gandalf, AND Legolas heard me and chuckled. The Elves I guess had like supersonic hearing had also heard me and gave me disapproving looks. What? Don’t women speak up in this era?

I looked at Lord Elrond with big round innocent looking eyes that were asking if I was in trouble. Apparently not because he just smiled. I sighed in relief at being off the hook. I looked back at the circle of people saw how some of them weren’t comfortable being in the same breathing space as the other race. War was about to start between the elves and dwarfs and the men looked as if they would snatch the ring and run off into the hills with it.

“Aragorn is right. We cannot use it.” I spoke up. Screw not being able to speak up. I’m a very outspoken person. I should join politics I was that outspoken. But then I blushed when I saw everyone look at me. There goes that dream.

“And what would you know? You are nothing but a mere woman. And a short one at that.” The Gondor man laughed at me. Aragorn looked as if was going to step in front of me and not to protect me either, but to protect the man that just said Gondor needed no King. I just smiled though at the man. My blush went away really fast.

“Pray, what is your name sir?” I asked kindly

He looked confused for a second and then answered, “Boromir.”

“Well Boromir, I just have one thing to say to you, no wait make that two. I don’t know who you think you’re talking to but it is most certainly not me, and two, if you so much as talk to me like that again I will kick your sorry ass and personal feed you to a pack of wild men.” My smile vanished as my statement went on. The wild men part I had learned from reading last night and they gave me chills. “Do I make myself clear?”

He just looked at me with this evil stare. “Boromir! Do I make myself clear? Its not nice to keep a lady waiting now is it?”I swear if looks could kill we would both be about 20 feet in the ground. He looked away and I smiled again. Lord Elrond cleared his throat to regain order and I looked at him.

“Sorry my Lord.” I said and sat up straighter in my chair. Guinevere looked as if she was going to die of laughter. Her pale face was now red and her body was shaking with uncontrollable spasms.
“You have only one choice. The ring must be destroyed.” Elrond said as he stood up.

“Then what are we waiting for?” said a dwarf as he stood up taking his axe to the table with the ring on in the middle. Elrond and Gandalf looked worried as the dwarf brought his axe down on the Ring. I just glimpsed Frodo holding his head in pain before some sort of reflex took over my body and my hand shot up. I felt a sharp pain and gasped as I realized a chunk of the axe came flying towards my face. I turned my hands towards me and while it was still shaking opened up my fingers. The piece fell to the floor along with my blood that was dripping down to my wrist. Guinevere pulled out a handkerchief, I’ll ask where it came from later, and started to wrap my hand tightly. I hissed in pain when she was done and gave the dwarf who was now on the floor a dirty look. The shards of the axe were everywhere but I seemed to be the only one who got injured. The ring was undamaged and I looked over to Frodo when I heard Gandalf ask if he was ok. That whispering could be heard from the ring again and everyone looked shocked.

“The Ring cannot be destroyed, Gimli, son of Gloin, by any craft that we here possess. The Ring was made in the fires of Mount Doom. Only there can it be unmade. It must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence it came. One of you,” Ok no need to pause Elrond this isn’t some dramatic movie, “must do this.” He said looking around at us. Everyone was silent as we all looked at each other expecting someone to stand up and go, “Pick me! Pick me!” If only right?
“One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its black gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep and the Great Eye is ever watchful. Tis’ a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust. The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly.” Boromir said shaking his head.

“Have you heard nothing Lord Elrond has said? The ring must be destroyed!” Legolas yelled jumping up out of his seat.

“And I suppose you think you're the one to do it.” Gimli said standing up also. Uh-oh.

“And if we fail what then?” Boromir says stand up too. “What happens when Sauron takes back what is his?”

Oh my God! Is this what the rings does to people? I hated it even more as a fight was starting to break out. Gimli started it to when he yelled, “I will be dead before I see the Ring in the hands of an Elf!”
A bunch of elves stood up at that and I don’t blame them. But why do I feel offended? I’m not an elf. Legolas was trying to hold back the group of elves, and in my mind, being the bigger person of the group. The men stood up also arguing with everyone else while Gimili was yelling out things like, “Never trust and Elf!” at that I grabbed the piece of metal that flew at me and chucked it at him. The only damage I caused was it getting stuck in his beard. If that wasn’t there it would have been like in the movies where the person throws the knife and it lodges itself into their head or something.

Gandalf shook his head at me and the fact that everyone was fighting. Frodo was watching the ring. Gandalf I guess decided to join the argument and stood up to yell at someone. Guinevere looked at me and sighed muttering men. I would have chuckled but it wasn’t a funny moment. I was getting nervous that someone might take out their sword and start swinging.

“Do you not understand that while we bicker amongst ourselves, Sauron's power grows?! None can escape it! You'll all be destroyed.” I yelled but no one heard me. I yelled it again even louder but still nothing.

“Guinevere what are we to do? There’re going to kill each other!” I said out of breath from yelling.

“Patience my friend. Just wait.” She said while watching everyone’s move.

“I didn’t ask for a fortune cookie! Help me stop them!” I was getting mad that they were so easily corrupted.

Guinevere then started to talk in a language I’ve only heard from the ring, “Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.” Elrond held his head in pain, and Legolas closes his eyes grimacing. I flinched from the language but translated what I heard anyways. I don’t know what’s making me do these things but it’s getting annoying. “One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them.” I mumbled just loud enough for everyone to hear. Elrond who looked horrified and angered said, “Never before has anyone uttered words of that tongue here in Imladris!” Guinevere just shook her head as if in a trance and spoke after a moment’s thought, “I do not ask your pardon Master Elrond for the Black Speech of Mordor may yet be heard in every corner of the West.” I looked at her and muttered just loud enough for everyone to hear, “The Ring is altogether evil.” And then everyone started to fight again. We just spoke the Black Speech and all they do is stare and go back to fighting? What the hell is wrong with these people, elves, dwarfs, whatever! Elrond looked at Guinevere with disapproval written all over his face. Then I felt my heart stop when I heard Frodo’s voice and what came out of it.

“I will take it,” everyone continued to argue, not hearing him at all which is good so maybe he’ll become discouraged. “I will take it!” apparently not. Gandalf closes his eyes and looked at me with such sorrow in his eyes. He really cared for Frodo so this must be killing him. “I will take the Ring to Mordor.” everyone stopped and look at him in awe or just a plain ‘are you stupid’ look. Wait no that was just me. “Though, I do not know the way.”

Gandalf walked over to him and put his hand on Frodo shoulder, “I will help you bear this burden Frodo Baggins, as long as it is yours to bear.” He stood behind Frodo and then Aragorn stood up and walked over also. I also noticed that Aragorn had not joined in the argument.

“If by my life or death I can protect you, I will.” he kneeled before Frodo. “You have my sword.”

“And you have my Bow.” Said Legolas. What? Wait!

“And my axe.” Gimili grumbled as he went and stood next to Legolas who towered over him. What am I going to say when I offer coming along to? I’m just learning to fight and what if they don’t let me come because I am a woman?

Boromir got up and walked forward. Oh man he’s not coming is he? Wait for it…

“You carry the fate of us all little one. If this is indeed the will of the Council, then Gondor will see it done.” More like you’ll see to it to sneak the ring and run off jackass.

Guinevere stood up pulling my hand with her for me to stand up also. She walked forward with me in tow behind her and said the one thing that would allow us to take part in this adventure. “Frodo this has be a tough road for you so I will offer my help in any way I can. So my grandmother will see to it that you can get all the protect you need.” She looked back at me and I took a deep breath. “Frodo you have been burdened with a task that you should not have had to face. No one should have had to face this as a matter of fact. But it seems that I have been sent here to help you overcome these hardships and help to protect you otherwise I don’t think Guinevere’s grandmother would have sent me.” Yes I had figured it out. I knew Guinevere looked familiar and then I thought about the lady who sent me back here and put two and two together. “So Frodo, I have been with you from the very beginning and I will see to it that I will be with you till the end.” Guinevere and I walked behind Frodo and stood next to all the other races coming together. I was surprised Sam wasn’t here? He would have wanted…

“Mr. Frodo’s not going anywhere without me!”

And there he is. I smiled when I had glimpsed him running from behind a bush meaning he was eavesdropping on this meeting. Good boy.

“No indeed it is hardly possible to separate you, even when he is summoned to a secret council and you are not!” said a smiling Elrond. That was until the Dumb and Dumber came running in also.

“Wait we’re coming too!” I turned around and saw Merry and Pippin running up to stand next to us, “You’d have to send us home ties up in a sack to stop us.” Merry stated. Little does he know that that can be arranged. Everyone in the meeting area looked astounded that the Hobbits were really going to do this. Well why not their courageous little creatures who’s friend needs help.

“Anyway you need people of intelligence on this sort of mission ...quest …thing!” I nearly died of laughter at Pippin who probably didn’t even know what he just said.

“Well that rules you out Pip.” Merry said just as I thought out loud, “Well you’re off the team Pip.” Guinevere just giggled at the confused look Pippin was giving us.

“Eleven companions... So be it! You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring!” Lord Elrond said looking at us. I stood up straighter thinking maybe I can be more imposing but I just maybe reached 5’4.

“Great! Where are we going?” Oh Pippin. I just shook my head and walked away. Guinevere followed and we went to her study. We sat down and just looked out the window.

“Are you ready for this Katelyn?” she whispered as a group of birds flew past the window and perched onto a beautiful blossom tree.

I thought for a moment so that I can give her a truthful answer. All I came up with is, “I don’t know. I don’t think I would have been sent here without being destined for something right? Everything happens for a reason is a motto I’ve been saying for years now, and its never let me down. Hopefully it won’t now.” I looked up at Guinevere who was gazing at me with a smile on her face.

“Katelyn you are very wise for such a young person. Are you sure you are not an Elf? Maybe a descendant of some sort.”

“I’m very positive that I am not an Elf Guinevere. I would be tall, and beautiful, and elegant, and sophisticated. Shall I go on?” I replied. “Any ways we should start packing, we leave in a week and we have a long journey ahead of us.”

I got up and when I got to the door I turned back around. “Guinevere?”

“Yes Darling?”

“Why did your grandmother choose me? I’m nobody. A regular everyday person you see out on the streets. Why am I important?”

She just smiled and shook her head. “What did you just tell me before Katelyn? Your motto?”

“Everything happens for a reason.”

“And I’m going to add to it. All in good time.”