Love Is All in the Past

Love Is All In The Past (A Legolas/Aragorn Love Story) Chapter 7

Chapter 7 (We’re Off To See Destruction, The Gruesome Destruction Of Earth)

The morning of the departure Guinevere and I decided to take a walk around the gardens. She had woke me up at the crack of dawn to give me a bracelet with diamonds that I have never seen before. They were dark green, but not an emerald, with a moon shaped diamond in the middle.
“What’s with the moon?” I asked as I clasped it onto my wrist.
“You said you liked wolves did you not?” she replied as she pulled out my bag that we had packed 2 days ago. There were some of the dresses I had brought and a few of the Elvish ones along with men’s traveling clothes. I couldn’t were dresses all the time now, I needed pants and shirts. Also in there was all my bathroom supplies which by the way I needed because I just started my best friend of every month 6 days ago. Note the sarcasm. It should end today which was good since I was in pain all week with those damn cramps. The last things that were in the bag were weapons, some I had to carry, and my books. A lot of them had gotten ruined when we were in the rain running from the ringwraiths so Guinevere had taken it upon herself to get them fixed. She had someone rewrite Sense and Sensibility, Withering Heights, and one of my favorite vampire series Vampire Academy. I was happy don’t get me wrong but I felt bad that someone had to write 6 books in a week’s time.
I looked at my bed for a moment and then grabbed the weapons that were lying there. I strapped the swords Aragorn had given me (I’m still not happy with him) a couple of knives from Guinevere who showed me a few places to put them, and a bow with a quiver of neatly made arrows from Lord Elrond who surprised me with these gifts. Oh and a dress from an unknown sender. That was weird but hey I’m not complaining. It was beautiful with its red and gold silk. It reminded me of a medieval dress that was fit for a queen at a ball, but Guinevere insisted that it was a travelling dress and that I should wear it. So that was what I wearing to leave Rivendell. It looked good too. Not as good as the other ones, but much better than the pants and shirts. I stood there looking around and I already missed my room and I’m still standing in it!
“Achem!” I snapped my head up at Guinevere, who had cleared her throat, with her hands on her hips glaring at me.
“What?!?” I said backing up. The back of my knees hit the bed and I fell on my butt looking at Guinevere approach me. She was a fierce tsunami when she wanted to be. I saw her give a good shouting match with Gimli who had made rude comments to us about elves and humans working together. I was laughing all the way back to the library when she was done. So of course I listened to her, when I wasn’t daydreaming that is.
“I said ‘you liked wolves did you not?’”
“Yes I did. I’m sorry Dragonfly its just I have a lot on my mind.” I said as I got up and packed a few more shoes and boots into a bag on the floor.
“Its ok Katelyn I understand.” Then her face lit up and she grabbed my hand and pulled me out the door out on to the grounds. “I know something that will cheer you right up.”
In front of me was a beyond spectacular garden. It was more than beautiful and more than any gardener could want. The trees where placed around liked a wall and a few were scattered here and there with blossoms and orchids and many others I had never seen before. There was a water fall leading into a lake with a river running off towards the peak of the valley and hundreds of dozens of bushes with flowers and fruits were along the sides. A bridge went over the river and we stood on it as I gazed out into one of the most gorgeous sites I had ever seen.
“Its stunning Guinevere.” I whispered as I heard footsteps behind us. I turned noticing that my companion had already heard the person approaching. I frowned as I realized who it was and turned back towards the garden. Guinevere left as Aragorn walked up and stood next to me. I crossed my arms and glared out at the river like it was its fault. Aragorn bent down and put his arms on the railing while looking out at the site in front of him with such wonder and amazement.
“It’s amazing isn’t it?” he asked as he looked at me. I ignored him and started to walk away when he grabbed my arm and spun me so I was staring him in the face. Or better yet up at his face since he was huge compared to me.
“Let me go Aragorn or I swear to God any babies you and Arwen where planning on having won’t be possible when I’m done with you.” I said quietly in case any Elvish ears where listening in.
He flinched and loosened his grip but didn’t let go. “What’s the matter Katelyn? You’ve been ignoring me and avoiding me at all costs. When I asked you to dance at the dinner you walked away and started to talk to an Elf that had been staring at you for the whole dinner! Did I do something wrong?” Yes I did walk away from him at the dinner that Elrond had thrown for us as a departing gesture. I had good reason in my mind to do so also.
“Let go Aragorn I mean it.”
“What did I do wrong first.”
I pulled my arm free which hurt like hell from his grip and got up in his face. “You lied to me Strider. And I don’t tolerate lying. I trusted you and I thought you trusted me. I was wrong I guess just like every other person I meet.” Yes not a very good reason but to me it was. I’ve been lied to basically my whole life. My friends didn’t care only a few did when it came to telling the truth, my parents did when they said nothing was wrong before they died a week later, even my doctors when they said I would be fine and the deaths of my parents wouldn’t affect me since I was at college and out of the house. So I think this is a good reason to be pissed off at someone you thought you semi-knew.
“Katelyn I never lied!”
“No you just had us believe that you were someone else.” And with that I walked away back to my room. Before I could enter the main building an Elf came up to me and said that it was time we grabbed our things and headed to the front.
It was time to go.
By the time I got to my room Guinevere had our things on the bed and was pacing around.
“If you don’t stop pacing you’re going to leave a hole in my room, and then I won’t want it when I come back.” And as an afterthought. “If I come back.” She stopped pacing and looked at me funny. “Why wouldn’t you come back?”
“Well dangerous mission, with evil people trying to take over the world, and monsters that don’t hesitate to stab us. Yeah I’d be luck to survive a month out there.” She just shook her head at me.
“What did you and Aragorn talk about?”
“Oh like you don’t know! I knew you were listening.” She looked chest fallen. “How did you know I was there?”
“Next time when you walk away don’t smiling like you have a plan and keep looking back to see if we were paying attention or not.” I smiled as she pouted.
We grabbed our things and headed out the door to the entrance of Rivendell were the rest of the Fellowship was waiting.
“Well it’s about time you showed up! You elves always think your higher up than anyone else and the humans especially the woman love to take their time since everyone will wait on them hand and-.” He shut up as soon as a knife flew past his head and lodged itself into the tree right next to were his face was.
“Nice throw Katelyn!” Guinevere clapped as everyone else just stared at me with shock written all over their faces.
“What? I don’t know how I did it either.” I shrugged.
Lord Elrond looked from me to the knife in the tree as if in deep thought. He shook whatever was in his head and motioned for two elves with horses forward.
“These are for you Guinevere and Katelyn. Take good care of them they are Rivendell’s fastest.” He handed us the reins. Guinevere’s horse was a pure white with blue eyes. It was like if she was turned into a horse that is what would be the outcome. My horse was deep brown that if the sun hit it the fur would show a reddish tint and the eyes were a Green with gold flecks around the iris. This is my outcome if I was to be a horse. Then a thought hit me.
“Lord Elrond, if you don’t mind me asking, why would you give us the fastest horses in Rivendell? Do you plan on expecting us to run away from battle if it should happen?”
Guinevere nodded her head in agreement while Elrond shook his. “No and yes. In case all is lost I want you to get on and runaway back to us were it would be safe. No because if you should tire you have a ride that will let you rest.”
I nodded as he turned to address the rest of the fellowship.
“The Ring bearer is setting out on the quest of Mount Doom and you who travel with him, no oath nor bond is laid to go further than you will.” I saw Arwen looking at Aragorn who smiled back at her. She just drops her head I saw tears make their way done her ivory skin. “Farewell. Hold to your purpose and may the blessings of elves,” he looked at Legolas and Guinevere, “And men,” looking at Boromir, Aragorn, and me. “And all free folk,” looking at Gimli. “Go with you.” And with that he raised his hand and gestures for us to leave.
“The Fellowship awaits the Ring bearer.” Gandalf said smiling at Frodo who was looking around nervously. He turned around and started walking through the arches before asking, “Mordor, Gandalf, is left or right?”
Gandalf put his hand on Frodo shoulder and said left. Frodo lead the way out, followed by Gandalf, Gimli, Boromir, Pippin, Merry, Legolas, Sam pulling Bill, and with Guinevere and myself in the back leading the horses. Aragorn paused and looked back at Arwen. I saw them exchange a long glance before Aragorn smiled again and nod his head. He then turned around and followed after the others. Arwen swallowed and bowed her head in a farewell.
We were leaving Rivendell.

When I say we walked forever I mean it loosely. We walked over mountains, past these ancient ruins, and over hills. It been 8 days since we left Rivendell and I missed it terribly. We were now sitting on a bunch of rocks eating Sam’s delightful cooking. We finished and did our own things. We had let the horses go so that they can run around before they had to be stuck in one area for a while. We knew they would be back since all we had to do was whistle.
Guinevere was sharpening her knives, Legolas was being our look out, Sam was still eating, Gandalf was off thinking, and Frodo and Aragorn were watching Boromir fighting Merry, Pippin, and me. And let me say this I did kick his ass. He would swing up I would block it and bring my sword down. He would just barely block it before coming at me again. I spun out of the way gracefully and went to hit him in the back. He turned around and stopped it but he couldn’t stop me when I brought my second sword out and held it to his throat.
“Good job Katelyn, next will be me and you!” Guinevere yelled from about 30 yards away. “Bring it!” I yelled back laughing as I got up out of breath and sat down next to Gandalf. Boromir was red in the face. I guess he’s never been beat by a girl before, and a short one at that.
“How much longer Gandalf?”
“We must hold this course west of the Misty Mountains for forty days. If our luck holds the Gap of Rohan will still be open to us. And there our road turns east to Mordor.” He said blowing on his pipe.
I could hear Boromir practicing with the Hobbits. Aragorn was over there also. We were making progress but nothing like before with light bantering and making fun of each other. We were polite and friendly and only spoke to each other when we asked a question. It seems though that Guinevere and I were becoming better friends. We would whisper things to each other and giggle behind our hands. We would make fun of Gimli and say rude comments about Boromir. Just for fun once we started whispering about how we would jump Legolas and tie him up making him eat Guinevere’s horrible cooking. That’s a story for later, but Legolas turned around really fast and looked at us for a moment before he realized what we had just did. We laughed about that for 2 hours before we started back on talking about Gimli. She was beginning to be like a sister to me.
“Good, very good.” Boromir said as he practiced with Pippin.
“Move your feet!” Aragorn said trying to help him out with comments. “You look good Pippin.” Merry said and Pippin motioned for him to join in their sparing.
I walked over to Legolas as he looked out towards the open sky and mountains.
“Anything?” I asked as I looked out there to. My eyes aren’t as good obviously but it felt good to help. And be near him of course. He looked at me and shook his head. “You did good fighting before. Tell me, where did you learn to fight like that?” he asked as he looked back over the mountains.
“I didn’t.” I said, “I just got it. No one taught me, it just…came to me.” I turned around when I heard Gimli talking to Gandalf.
“If anyone was to ask for my opinion, which I note that they're not, I'd say that we were taking the long way round. Gandalf, we could pass through the Mines of Moria. My cousin Balin would give us a royal welcome.” Something inside of me told me not to go there. I waved my hand for Gandalf’s attention and shook my head.
“No Gimli, I would not take the road through Moria unless I had no other choice.” Gandalf said as Legolas ran to the front of them. He stood there and stared for a moment at a grey mist looking thing came our way. Gandalf followed his stare and watched also.
I heard Pippin yell in pain while Boromir kept saying sorry but I couldn’t pay attention to them. Something about that thing heading towards us didn’t seem right. I saw Sam stand up and look out to.
“What is that?” he asked squinting his eyes.
“Nothing, It’s just a wisp of cloud.” Gimli said watching it approach.
“Its moving fast, and against the wind.” Boromir said as he noticed what everyone was staring at.
“It looks like birds?” I said. Just then Legolas yelled, “Crebain from Dudland!”
“Hide!” Aragorn yelled as he grabbed his sword.
We all ran gathering our things and dousing the fire. Legolas grabbed my hand and pulled me under a rock with him. He had his arms around my waist was basically on top of me trying to hide me from view. I was blushing while watching everyone else dash under the rocks out of sight. A great flock of black crows flew over us, circling around us a few times before flying off again. We reemerge from our hiding places and looked around. The birds had already disappeared. I turned towards Legolas who was squatting to pick out our things to put back on the horses. I bent down so I could be leveled with him. “Thank you Legolas.” He looked up and I kissed him lightly on the cheek. I stood back up grabbing my things and walking away. I saw Guinevere smiling at me and Gandalf chuckled. Aragorn on the other hand looked confused and when he saw me glance at him he looked away and continued with what he was doing.
“Spies of Saruman. The passage south is being watched. We must take the Pass of Caradhras.” Gandalf said while looking to a mountain. A freaking mountain with snow! Why does it have to be snow? I hate snow and I live in New York. Why can’t it be, oh I don’t know grass, or maybe cotton candy. Yummy that sounds good. I grabbed my puffy coat with fur around the hood and draped it over my arm.
“What are you doing?” Pippin asked looking at my coat funny.
“Getting ready to enter my own personal hell.” I muttered walking forward and getting into step with Guinevere.