Status: finished!

Addicted to Love

02.

Michael sat in the comfortable chair, anxious for the elderly employee of Tiffany & Co. to come back with the ring he had chosen. He had been so busy in New York that he didn't even think of a gift worthy of Grace until when he got off the plane. He went as fast as he could to the Tiffany store. He didn't have any difficulty finding a ring, thanks to the man helping him named Jerome. Michael smiled when he saw him coming back, dressed in a grey suit and blue shirt. "Mr. Fassbender, do you happen to know what ring size she is?"

Michael frowned. Was that something he should've known? He hadn't bought her jewelry before. He was feeling more and more like a lousy boyfriend. "I don't."

"Well do you have a picture of her? Maybe I could estimate." Jerome smiled. Michael happily pulled up a picture of them from his iPhone. It was from last month - a dinner at a restaurant along the beach.

Jerome took the phone and put his hand on his chest. "What an adorable tiny thing you have! She is gorgeous. I'd say she's a five or six in rings. I'll get you a six, and if it doesn't fit you can bring it back. Make sure you bring her though! She is darling."

Michael took the phone back and looked down at the picture proudly. Not only was she beautiful, but she was probably the nicest, most understanding person he knew. He was lucky. He knew that being an actor, it was tough to find someone who liked you for who you are. They had been dating for over a year and she hadn't once asked him for anything but his time. She just wanted to be with him.

"Thank you, and don't worry, I will. You're so good at this though, I'm sure it will fit her just fine." Michael took his wallet out of his pants pocket and handed Jerome his credit card. Jerome busily went to make the purchase and brought back the receipt and their famous turquoise bags.

"She is going to love it. Thank you, Mr. Fassbender! I hope to see you again!" Michael signed the receipt and shook Jerome's hand, smiling at him before leaving the store. He just couldn't wait to get home to Grace. It was nearing 7:30, so there was no use in getting her dinner. She had most likely already eaten. But he did swing by the Pinkberry in the mall and get her favorite, original with raspberries. He hurried back to his car, an extra bounce in his steps.

"I love you," He said to himself. No, he thought. Can I just say it outright? Should I tell her all the reasons why? There are so many...Why is this so hard? Michael was scared. He was scared to give his heart to someone. The year or so he had spent with Grace involved a lot of traveling. It was safe to say they didn't have a conventional relationship. With Michael's job, it was impossible, but they worked through it. It was because of how their relationship functioned, and his schedule, that he hadn't told her he loved her already. He had known for quite awhile.

He turned on his car and used the Bluetooth connection it had to his phone to call James. He answered on the third ring. "What's up, Michael?"

"How do you tell someone you love them?"

James laughed. "Michael, just tell her. What are you afraid of?"

Michael pressed his lips together firmly, turning out of the parking lot and heading towards their apartment while butterflies filled his stomach. "That she doesn't love me."

"Just a few hours ago you said that you know she does. Come on, Fassy! Be a man!"

"I'm just afraid of her leaving me. I don't know what I would do."

"Let's be realistic here. You're constantly gone and she stays with you nonetheless. I know you're scared, and this is a big step, but there's a pretty good chance that she won't leave you."

"I suppose you're right. Thanks for the encouragement."

"No problem, Tiger." James hung up and the radio took over. Some horrible, American hip-hop song filled his ears but he couldn't help listening to the lyrics. "I gotta tell her how I feel. I gotta let her hear the best love song she ever heard in her life. No need for me to write it, I just gotta picture her smilin' and if you feel that way, go ahead and kiss your baby. Now we got the whole stadium in love."

He chuckled to himself, pulling into the apartment complex parking lot. "I love you, Grace. It's as simple as that," He said to himself. He gingerly put the Tiffany bag in his suitcase, saving his surprise for later. He didn't want to pressure her into saying it back, and he knew giving her the ring right away would put pressure on her once he told her. He didn't expect anything from her. He just wanted it to be authentic.

He grabbed the Pinkberry bag and locked his car, a strange feeling of excitement laced with anxiety consumed him. He quickly walked into the complex, padding through the lobby and to the elevator. He simply couldn't handle the waiting anymore. He just wanted her in his arms.

The doors couldn't open fast enough. He jogged to the white door and and knocked on the door forcefully. The minute it took for Grace to get to the door felt like an hour. Once it had swung open, he smiled so wide his face hurt.

"Michael!" She said, shocked. "What are you doing here?"

He dropped his bags, overwhelmed with the desire to kiss her. "Happy birthday, Gracie."

He enveloped her in his arms while she wrapped her arms around his neck, attaching at the lips. They were in sync. It was a simple kiss, one that said I missed you. They parted but quickly met again for another short kiss. He stared into her endless brown orbs while Grace stared back into the haunting sea of green and blue. He reached for her hand, taking it in his. "I know I'm too late for dinner, but I brought dessert."

She smiled widely, stealing the bag from him and running into the kitchen. He laughed, taking his suitcase into the hallway and closing the door behind him. He made his way into the kitchen and sat down next to her, kissing her cheek while she took the plastic top off of the tart yogurt. "You got my favorite. You are the best," She glanced at him, smirking while bringing the plastic spoon holding the yogurt and fruit to her mouth.

"Hey, if you can be seductive with the yogurt so can I," Michael pouted, taking his own out of the bag - green tea with strawberries. Grace wrinkled her nose. "Now I can't kiss you."

"Of course you can," Michael smiled, knowing full well she hated green tea anything. "I'm worth it." He took the remaining plastic spoon from the table and spooned a generous helping of yogurt into his mouth.

"You're right," She said, leaning over and kissing him gently on the lips. She pulled away quickly, but stayed in his personal space. She shut her eyes and wrinkled her nose more, a smile still on her face. "You are worth it."

Michael looked into her eyes, and he knew this moment was as good as any. He was prepared. He had time to think about it. He knew it was what he wanted to do, but he froze up. He was still afraid. He simply couldn't do it.

"Something wrong?" Grace asked, pushing around her frozen yogurt a bit.

Michael took a deep breath and found his ability to speak again. "No, I'm just tired. I think we'll have to turn in early," He said, his voice husky. He grabbed her by the waist and pulled her up from the chair, whisking her away to the bedroom.

He didn't know when he was going to tell her, but it wasn't tonight.