Not All Legends Are True

Chapter One

In the small forest of the Shire I sat with Frodo, one of my many friends of the little Hobbit town. We sat reading, enjoying the lovely day for that night we would join Frodo’s uncle, Bilbo, at his one-hundredth and eleventh birthday. In the distance, with my elf ears, I could hear a very familiar voice, singing as he rode into town. I smirked.
“What are you smiling about?” Frodo laughed.
I looked up, “One of our dear old friends has returned.”
Frodo shut his book and quickly stood up. He listened for a moment and then he to heard the wizards song. He smiled and ran for the road. I quickly stood up and followed him.
We reached the wizard quickly. Frodo crossed his arms and interrupted the wizard’s song, “You’re late.”
The wizard halted his horse and wagon and looked up at the Hobbit. “A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.”
The two men were quiet for a moment before the both burst with laughter, and I joined in as well. Frodo then leapt onto the wagon next to the wizard and hugged him. “It’s wonderful to see you, Gandalf!”
I smiled. “Welcome back, Gandalf.” I too then leapt onto the wagon but I took a crouching position in the back, where the wizard has his fireworks stored.
“You didn’t think I’d miss Bilbo’s birthday did you?” he chuckled. “It’s good to be back in the peaceful town of the Shire.”
Gandalf the urged his horse forward, towards Bilbo’s home, acrossed the Shire.
“What news of the outside world?” asked Frodo. “Tell me everything.”
“Everything?” Gandalf asked in surprise. “You’re far too eager and curious for a Hobbit. Most unnatural.”
I smiled moving a strand of my long black hair out of my face. “Frodo and Bilbo are the only two of that kind.” Gandalf laughed.
“Well, what can I tell you,” Gandalf continued. “Life in the wide world goes on much as it has this past Age. Full of its own comings and goings. Scarcely aware of the existence of Hobbits.” And then he added muttering, “For which I am very thankful.”
As we passed through the main part of town everyone was either excited or angry that Gandalf had returned. There were many shouts of welcome to Gandalf and many waved with enthusiasm and Gandalf nodded back to them all a thank you.
They passed by a large field where tents and tables were being put up, “Oh,” smiled Gandalf, “The long-expected party.” He then turned and looked at Frodo. “How is the old rascal? I hear it’s going to be a party of special magnificence.”
“You know Bilbo,” I sighed.
“He’s got the whole place in an uproar,” added Frodo.
“Oh, well, that should please him.”
“Half the Shire’s been invited.”
“Gracious me.”
“He’s up to something,” Frodo added trying to see if Gandalf would spill any information.
“Oh, really?”
“All right, then. Keep your secrets.” Gandalf chuckled. “Before you came along, we Bagginses were very well thought of,” Frodo continued.
“Indeed.”
“Never had any adventures or did anything unexpected.”
“If you are referring to the incident with the dragon, I was barely involved. All I did was give your uncle a little nudge out of the door.” I laughed at the wizards comment.
“Whatever you did, you’ve been officially labeled a disturber of the peace.”
Gandalf looked at Frodo then at me, “Oh, really?” I nodded.
We passed a small hobbit home and the owner glared at Gandalf as we passed. I could hear little hobbits running and yelling for Gandalf as they made their way onto the road. They then screamed for fireworks, but Gandalf didn’t respond. But then a few of the fireworks went up and gave the little hobbits a small show. I laughed with the wizard.
Frodo and I then stood. “Gandalf,” asked Frodo. “I’m glad your back.” And Frodo leapt off the wagon.
“So am I, my dear boy.”
I took a step onto the seat and gave Gandalf a small hug. “Welcome back, Gandalf.”
“Thank you, Ireth.”
I then stepped off the wagon and fallowed Frodo back to where the party was to be held.