Not All Legends Are True

Chapter Five

The next day we set out for Rivendell. Strider led the way with his horse. We followed him out of Bree and into the forest near.
“Where are you taking us?” Asked Frodo.
“Into the Wild,” replied Strider.
The days that followed, the Hobbits became weary of Strider. But I felt confident that he was on our side.
“How do we know this Strider is friend of Gandalf?” asked Merry.
“Ireth trusts him. So we must as well.”
“But where is he leading us?” asked Sam
I smiled walking in front with Strider. He looked at me.
“What are you smiling about?”
“The Hobbits are weary of you. They do not know what to think except that I trust you so they must as well. And Sam wants to know where you are taking us.”
Strider smiled and continued on into the forest. “To Rivendell, Master Gamgee. To the house of Elrond.”
“Did you hear that? Rivendell. We’re going to see the Elves!” Sam said excitedly.
I smiled and continued to follow Strider into the unknown forest of Middle-Earth.
*************************************************************************************
“Gentlemen, we do not stop till nightfall.” Strider said as he saw the Hobbits starting to unpack.
“What about breakfast?” Asked Pippin.
“You’ve already had it.”
“We’ve had one, yes. What about second breakfast?”
I smiled as Strider turned back around, confused by the Hobbit.
“Hobbits eat. That’s pretty much all they do,” I giggled at him.
He nodded and grabbed a few apples off a nearby tree.
“Don’t think he knows about second breakfast, Pip,” said Merry.
“What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper?” Pippin asked desperately. “He knows about them, doesn’t he?”
“I wouldn’t count on it,” Merry growled.
I watched as Strider tossed an apple over the bushes and right into Merry’s hands. Merry then handed it to Pippin and began to walk again. But Strider then threw a second apple over, hitting Pippin right in the head. I laughed and quickly ran to his side.
“Are you all right, Pip?” I asked between giggles. He nodded rubbing his head. “Come on,” I smiled wrapping an arm around his shoulders, “We must keep going.” I turned and looked at Sam and Frodo. “Let’s go boys!”
*************************************************************************************
“This was the great watchtower of Amon Sul.” Strider told me as we came upon a hill with runes later that night. “We shall rest here tonight.”
We climbed up the rocky face of the watchtower. The Hobbits were out of breath by the time we reached our resting place.
“These are for you. Keep them close,” Strider said as he handed a sword to each Hobbit. “I’m going to have a look around. I’m sure Ireth can keep a watch over you.”
I smiled nodding. And at that he left. The Hobbits all began to doze off into sleep. I rested myself against the wall and looked out over the lands. Soon my eyes too grew heavy. I had not known it but I too fell asleep.
What seemed like moments later I woke to Frodo’s screams.
“What are you doing?!” Shouted Frodo.
I sat up right and looked at the little Hobbits.
“Tomatoes, sausages, nice crispy bacon.” Replied Merry.
I quickly stood up.
“We saved some for you, Mr. Frodo, Miss Ireth.”
“Put it out, you fools!” I shrieked as Frodo ran over and started to stomp on the fire.
“Put it out!” Frodo yelled.
“Well, that’s nice! Ash on my tomatoes!” Pippin complained.
“Pippin! You’re going to have a lot more of a problem on your hand if you don’t put that fire out!” I yelled. But it was too late. I could hear the Nazgul’s cries from here. We peered down into the fog below to see the Nazgul. “Run,” I whispered. I turned and looked at the Hobbits. “Go! Get to the top!” I yelled pushing them up. We ran to the middle of the watchtower. I stood in the middle of the Hobbits making sure the stood close. I had my bow and an arrow notched, ready to fight. “Be ready.” I whispered to them. “Don’t be scared.”
Too soon the Nazgul reached the top of the watchtower. The five Nazgul drew their swords. I pushed the Hobbits behind me.
“Back you devils!” Yelled Sam as he tried to sword fight one of the Nazgul. Sam was quickly thrown aside. I shot the Nazgul, but it did nothing. I pulled out my sword and began to fight the Nazgul. The other Nazgul grabbed Pippin and Merry and threw them aside. I continued to fight the Nazgul but I knew Frodo was in trouble.
“Strider!” I screamed hopping he’d hear me.
The Nazgul I was fighting took the advantage of me being distracted and shoved me away. I flew back and hit my head against a sharp rock. I watched as the Nazgul began to surround Frodo. Then I saw Frodo disappear.
“No! Frodo! Take off the Ring! It just makes it worse!” I screamed.
I watched as one of the Nazgul stabbed where Frodo had been. I heard Frodo scream in pain. I screamed for Strider as I stood up again with my sword. And then Strider jumped down with his sword and a torch. He was able to get the Nazgul away from Frodo and Sam ran over to help him. I fought against the Nazgul with Strider. He was able to set one on fire and then all scattered but one. He threw the torch and it stuck where the Nazgul’s face was to be.
“Strider!” yelled Sam. “Help him, Strider.”
Strider knelt down next to Frodo, “He’s been stabbed by a Morgul blade.” He said as the sword disappeared. “This is beyond my skill to heal. He needs Elvish medicine.” Strider picked up Frodo and started down the watchtower with him. We followed close behind.
We quickly ran out into the dense forest.
“Hurry!” shouted Strider.
“We’re six days from Rivendell! He’ll never make it!” Cried Sam as he pulled Bill the pony along with them.
I felt tears come to my eyes. Was I going to lose one of my best friends?
“Hold on, Frodo,” whispered Strider.
Tears streamed down my face as Frodo cried for Gandalf.
We ran. That’s all we did for what seemed like hours. But soon we had to stop. Strider set Frodo down and began looking at plants around the area. Which happened to be where the three trolls that had Bilbo had been turned to stone.
Frodo made a weird noise and Sam was right by his side. “Mr. Frodo? He’s going cold.” Sam said to Strider.
“Is he going to die?” asked Pippin.
He’s passing into the Shadow World. He’ll soon become a Wraith like them.”
We could hear the Nazgul calling to Frodo, encouraging for him to become one of them it seemed.
“They’re close,” said Merry.
“Sam, do you know the Athelas plant?” Strider asked Sam.
“Athelas?”
“Kingsfoil.
“Kingsfoil, aye, it’s a weed.”
“It may help slow the poisoning. Hurry!” he said handing the torch to Sam.
I listened for them. I could hear Sam and Strider split ways. I heard Strider stop but someone else was still moving. I sat up and edged towards the forest, listening.
“What’s this? A Ranger caught off his guard?” a woman spoke.
“He needs your help,” Strider whispered. “Come quickly,” he said and I heard Strider, the woman, and Sam’s footsteps returned to the clearing.
The woman was an elf. She had long brown hair that braided on both sides above her ears and went to the back of her head and joined into a long fish-tail braid. She was beautiful. Her eyes where a beautiful blue and around her neck was her Elven Star.
“Frodo,” she spoke. “I am Arwen. I’ve come to help you.” She spoke in Elvish. “Hear my voice…Come back to the light.
I froze when she had said her name was Arwen. I stared at her. Was she my sister? Or was I mistaken?
“Who is she?” Asked Merry.
“Frodo,” she spoke again.
“She’s an Elf,” replied Sam.
“He’s fading,” she said to Strider as he stuck Kingsfoil into Frodo’s wound. “He’s not going to last. We must get him to my father. I’ve been looking for you for two days.”
“Where are you taking him,” I asked in desperation.
“There are five Wraiths behind you. Where the other four are, I do not know,” she continued to speak to Strider.
Stay with the Hobbits, and the Elf. I’ll send horses for you.” Strider spoke to her in Elvish. I felt anger heat up in me.
I’m the faster rider. I’ll take him,” she argued.
The Road is too dangerous.
“What are they saying?” asked Pippin.
“Shes going to take him to Rivendell,” I whispered to the Hobbits.
If I can get across the river the power of my people will protect him.” She changed back to a common tongue, “I do not fear them.”
I watched as Strider placed his hand over Arwen’s. He has spoken something but I did not hear him. Arwen then pulled herself up onto the horse behind Frodo.
“Arwen,” said Strider, “ride hard. Don’t look back.”
Arwen then road off towards Rivendell.
“What are you doing?!” shouted Sam. “Those Wraiths are still out there!”
“She will be alright, Sam. She’ll get to Rivendell before the Wraiths can get to Frodo.”
“Strider,” I whispered. He turned to look at me. “Was she my sister,” I asked in Elvish. Strider nodded. I smiled. “She’s beautiful.
I know,” he smiled.
I peered at him, “You love her, don’t you?” Strider nodded.
“Come!” he spoke in the common tongue to the Hobbits and I, “We must keep moving.”
I followed Strider as we continued our way to Rivendell, hoping Frodo will make it.
*************************************************************************************
Two days we walked without stopping. Well at least Strider and I didn’t ever stop. From time to time we had to carry the Hobbits or set them on Bill so they could sleep. But two days later Elves from Rivendell arrived. I kept my hood up, afraid of what they would say if the saw me.
“Ireth,” said one of the Elves. I looked up surprised he knew my name. “We are glad that you have finally come back to Rivendell. This is a gift from your father and sister,” he said leading a white horse to me. “Her name is Snowshadow. She is yours now.”
I looked at the Elf, astonished. “She…”
“Yes, she recognized you, Ireth. It’s been a long time since she’s seen you, but she remembers.” He smiled handing me the reins of the horse. I took them and gently touched the horse’s snout.
“She’s beautiful,” I whispered and then climbed onto her back. I smiled and gently nudged her into a trot. She trotted over to Pippin and I reached down to him.
“Thank you,” he smiled taking my hand.
I pulled him up onto Snowshadow, in front of me and rode up next to Strider who had Merry with him. Sam had taken a horse with one of the Elves that brought the horses to us.
“They know,” I whispered to Strider.
He chuckled, “They why is your hood still on?”
I frowned, “They may know but…if they see it they might…”
“Ireth,” Strider sighed, reaching over and pulling my hood down.
My long black hair fell down my shoulders and to my waist. I did not look up for I didn’t want to see the other Elves reactions.
“Ireth, they are not scared. So neither should you,” said Strider. I smiled and lifted my head up. “Come, we must get going.” I nodded and we started off to Rivendell.
The journey to Rivendell did not take long. And soon I was able to see the beautiful waterfalls that I had been hearing for miles now. All around Rivendell were trees and groves. Waterfalls surrounded the peaceful place at every corner. I smiled and felt for once that I was home.
We rode into the center court of the house of Elrond and dismounted our horses there. Elves came to take our horses and store them back in their stalls. I petted Snowshadow for a few moments and then let the Elf take her away. Instantly I felt a deep connection with the horse. I smiled knowing she was now mine.
“Lady Ireth,” said another Elf.
I turned, surprised at hearing my name like this, “Yes?”
“Lord Elrond would like to see you.” He smiled.
I looked to Strider he nodded for me to go. I turned back to the Elf and nodded. The Elf turned and I began to fallow him. As we walked through the open halls of Rivendell I gazed at the artwork put into the structure itself.
“This way, My Lady,” said the Elf as he went down another hallway without me noticing.
I blushed and quickly caught up to him, “Sorry.”
“There is no need to apologize, My Lady.” He smiled.
“Please, call me Ireth,” I said to him.
“Lady Ireth,” he smiled.
I sighed shaking my head. “I do not wish to be address like royalty for I am not.”
“Oh, but you are, Ireth,” spoke a new Elf.
I quickly glanced up. He had long brown hair like Arwen, and braided to the back as well. And upon his head sat a crown of the Elves. The Elf next to me bowed in respect and I, in turn, bowed too. The new Elf smiled at me and stood me back up.
“Ireth,” he whispered. “You do not bow. Not even to your father.”
My eyes widened. “Elrond?”
He nodded. “I am your father, Ireth.” He paused. “Please, forgive me and your mother for sending you away. But we did not know what to believe and we wanted you to be safe.”
I nodded, tears in my eyes, “I understand.”
Elrond smiled and then pulled me into a hug. I stuck my head into his shoulder and hugged back.
“Father?” Came Arwen’s voice. I lifted my head up and smiled at her. She smiled back. “Welcome home, sister.” She then rushed over and gave me a hug as well. “Come, I shall show you to your room,” she smiled and then took my hand. She showed me around all of Rivendell and to my room. “Your dress,” she smiled.
“Is full of dirt,” I laughed.
“Well, yes, it is. But it is so beautiful.”
I nodded, “It’s very easy to fight in as well.”
She looked up at me, “You fight?”
“Yes. I taught myself. It was quite easy enough, though my aim with my arrows are still off. But I can survive if I’m smart.”
“I knew from the moment I saw you, when you were born that is, that you would be a fighter,” she smiled. She opened the wardrobe in the room and pulled out a beautiful burgundy dress. “Here. Put this on for now and we will wash this dress.”
I smiled and quickly slipped out of my dress and slipped the new one on. Arwen then came up behind me and started to undo my braids. She ran a brush through my hair and then began to rebraid my hair. I smiled as I stared out the window at my home.