Not All Legends Are True

Chapter Seven

A few days later we were to start our journey.
“Lady Ireth,” called one of the Elves.
I turned to him swinging my quiver of arrows onto my back, “Yes?”
“Lord Elrond would like to see you before you go.”
“Uh. Okay. Um do you think you could get someone to get Snowshadow ready for me then?”
The Elf smiled, “Yes, My Lady.”
I smiled back, “Thank you.” I then turned and headed off to Elrond’s room. I knocked on the door and then stepped inside, “You wanted to see me, Father.”
His back was to me as he stared out the window, “Yes,” he turned around. “Are you sure you want to do this, Ireth. The road will be dangerous. And I cannot promise that you will all live.”
I nodded, “I know what lies ahead of me, Father. But I made a promise to the Hobbits, to protect them from harm. I cannot break my promise.”
Elrond smiled sadly, “You are just like your mother was. Always kept her word and was always protective of those she loved.” He placed his hands on my shoulders. “Promise me you will protect yourself also.”
I smiled, “I promise, Father.” He smiled and then brought me into a hug.
“Good luck, my child,” he said as he let go and kissed my forehead.
I smiled, “Thank you. And I will see you again.”
“I hope so,” he whispered as I left the room.
I quickly dashed down the steps to the main court of Rivendell. There stood Snowshadow, awaiting me. I smiled and swung up onto her saddle.
Legolas smiled at me, “Ready?”
I sighed, “As I’ll ever be.”
He laughed and we followed the wizard and the Ring Bearer out of Rivendell and onto our long and tiring journey to Mordor.
*************************************************************************************
Many days later we sat at the base of the Misty Mountains for a break. We had made breakfast and Boromir was practicing sword fighting with Merry and Pippin.
“Two, one, five. Good! Very good,” Boromir said to Pippin.
“Move your feet,” Aragorn chipped in as Boromir and Pippin went at it again.
“You look god, Pippin,” said Merry with a mouth full of food.
“Thanks.” He smiled.
“Faster!” said Boromir as he started to sword fight with Merry.
“If anyone was to ask for my opinion, which I not they’re not, I’d say we were taking the long way ‘round,” complained Gimli.
I smiled standing next to Legolas on a perch of stone that over looked the men and Hobbits. I turned and looked up at Gandalf and Gimli. “Do you have a better idea, Gimli?”
“Yes,” he said to me and then turned to Gandalf. “Gandalf, we could pass through the Mines of Moria. My cousin Balin would give us a royal welcome.”
“No, Gimli, I would not take the road through Moria unless I had no other choice.”
I frowned wondering what he had meant. Legolas left the perch we were on and dashed over to where Gimli stood. I followed his gaze and saw something black in the sky.
Down below I heard the scrapping of swords and then a gasp from Pippin.
“Sorry!” cried Boromir as he tried to help Pippin.
I laughed when Pippin kicked him in the shin, “Get him!” he said to Merry. Merry then hit him with the blunt side of his sword and knocked him over. They then jumped on top of him and began to wrestle him.
“For the Shire!” shouted Merry.
“Hold him. Hold him down, Merry!” Cheered Pippin as Boromir and Aragorn laughed.
“You’ve got my arm! You’ve got my arm!” yelled Merry.
“What is that?” asked Sam.
“Nothing,” said Gimli. “It’s just a wisp of cloud.”
I stared at it intently. As if in a trance.
“It’s moving fast,” said Boromir as he broke away from the little Hobbits. “Against the wind.”
“Crebain from Dunland!” shouted Legolas.
“Hide!” Shouted Aragorn.
“Hurry!” Boromir said.
“Take cover!” Aragorn continued.
But I stood still. Unable to move. Legolas saw me and quickly grabbed me from where I stood. He pulled me underneath a small push and hid us in there. I watched as a flock of crows circled the ruins we had taken cover in.
“Spies of Saruman,” Gandalf said as the crows left. “The passage south is being watched. We must take the Pass of Caradhras,” he concluded.
Frowning we packed up our things again and began our way up the mountain.
The road was hard on the little Hobbits, and tiring. Part way up a large hill of snow, Frodo slipped and started to roll down. Luckily, Aragorn had been behind him.
“Frodo!” he called as he caught him before he rolled too far down the hill.
He stood him up and I saw as Frodo searched for the Ring, that was no longer round his neck. Boromir walked down part way and picked it up. He then stared at it, as if he was in a trance.
“Boromir,” spoke Aragorn but Boromir did not respond to him.
“It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small of thing. Such a little thing.” He whispered. I turned Snowshadow around and nudged her down next to Frodo.
“Boromir!” Aragorn said, louder this time. Boromir broke out of his trance and looked at Aragorn. “Give the Ring to Frodo.”
Boromir walked down the little ways that there had been between them and handed the Ring back to Frodo, “As you wish. I care not.” Boromir chuckled and messed with Frodo’s hair. He then turned and walked back up the mountain.
I watched as Aragorn released his grip on his sword.
“Frodo,” I asked. He looked up at me. “You’d you like a ride?”He nodded with exhaustion. I smiled and helped the Hobbit up onto my horse. I waited for Aragorn to start walking before I nudged Snowshadow into a walk.
*************************************************************************************
Further up the mountain, the weather became horrid. Snow was blowing all around us and it was impossible to see. The snow was waist deep to Elves and Men, but over the heads of the Dwarf and little Hobbits. The two men each held two Hobbits close to their chest as they walked, shielding them from the cold.
Over the wind I could hear a voice.
“There is a fell voice on the air,” spoke Legolas.
“It’s Saruman!” Yelled Gandalf.
“Just then a few boulders came tumbling off the mountain above us.
“He’s trying to bring down the mountain!” shouted Aragorn. “Gandalf, we must turn back!”
“No!” argued the wizard. He then stood on the ledge and began to counter Saruman’s magic. But he was not strong enough to face Saruman and more boulders and snow came down the mountain. The snow covered us all. Snowshadow reared up and pushed me and her out of the snow first. Legolas came up next followed slowly by Gandalf, the Men, the Dwarf and the Hobbits.
“We must get off the mountain!” shouted Boromir. “Make for the Gap of Rohan, and take the west road to my city!”
“The Gap of Rohan takes us too close to Isengard!” Argued Aragorn.
“We cannot pass over a mountain. Let us go under it,” shouted Gimli. “Let us go through the Mines of Moria.”
Gandalf was quiet for a moment. “Let the Ring-bearer decide. Frodo?”
“We will go through the mines,” he answered after a moment of silence.
“So be it,” whispered Gandalf.
We then turned and made our way back down the mountain and to the Mines of Moria.