Not All Legends Are True

Chapter Eight

“The walls of Moria,” Gimli whispered pointed to the rocky side of the mountain.
We walked further down to a lake. Gandalf walked over to a flat rock and dusted it off.
“Well, let’s see. Ithildin. It mirrors only starlight and moonlight.” Gandalf turned and looked up at the moon. As the clouds moved out of its way the flat side of the mountain began to glow in a door shape. Gandalf stepped back. “It reads. ‘The Doors of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak, friend, and enter.’”
“What do you suppose that means?” asked Merry.
“Oh it’s quite simple. If you are a friend, you speak the password and the doors will open.” Gandalf then lifted his staff and placed it against the rock door. He then spoke in Elvish but the door did nothing.
Hours passed but nothing Gandalf said worked.
“The Mines are no place for a pony,” Aragon spoke to Sam and I. “Even one as brave as Bill.”
“Bye-bye, Bill,” Sam said to him.
I frowned, dismounting Snowshadow. I stroked her snout. “Meet us at Rohan,” I murmured to her.
“Go on, Bill. Go on,” Aragorn said to the pony. “Don’t worry, Sam, he knows the way home.”
I gently nudged Snowshadow away with Bill. She fallowed reluctantly.
I turned to the sound of a splash. I looked over and saw Merry and Pippin sitting with Gimli, throwing stones into the water.
Just as Pippin was about to throw another stone, Aragorn caught his arm. “Do not disturb the water.”
I walked down towards Gandalf as he threw down his staff, “Oh, it’s useless.”
I looked up at the stone door for a moment. Studying it. “Mellon,” I said in Elvish. (Meaning Friend) I jumped with surprise when the doors opened. Gandalf looked up me and chuckled.
Everyone stood and followed Gandalf inside.
“Soon, Master and Lady Elf, you will enjoy the fabled hospitality of the Dwarves. Roaring fires, malt beer, ripe meat off the bone!” Said Gimli as Legolas and I walked beside him.
I giggled, “Well, I’m looking forward to it, Gimli.”
Gimli smiled. “This, my friends, is the home of my cousin Balin. And they call it a mine. A mine!” Gimli spoke. I looked and frowned as Gandalf lit a stone with is magic. The room was full of corpses.
“This is no mine,” said Boromir. “It’s a tomb.”
“No,” whispered Gimli. “No. No!” he cried.
Legolas pulled out one of the many arrows in the corpses. “Goblins.” He threw the arrow away and then notched his bow. Aragorn and Boromir drew their swords. I quickly notched an arrow of my own and started to back up next to the hobbits.
“We make for the Gap of Rohan. We should never have come here. Now, get out of here. Get out!” shouted Boromir.
“Frodo!” shouted Pippin.
“Help!” Frodo called back.
I quickly turned around and saw a long tentacle wrapped around Frodo’s leg. I shot at the monsters arm.
“Strider!” Sam yelled.
“Help!” Frodo yelled again.
“Get off him!” shouted Sam as he hacked at the tentacle.
“Aragorn!” I shouted.
The tentacle retracted back into the water from the wound that Sam and I had created. And after a moment of calmness, and then five more tentacles came out of the water. The knocked Sam, Pippin, Merry, and I away from Frodo and picked Frodo up by his leg.
“Frodo!” cried Merry.
I jumped back up just a Legolas shot an arrow at the beast. The arrow flew past my face, close enough that it moved my hair. I glanced back at Legolas, who was wide-eyed as I was. I turned back and shot at the tentacle that was holding Frodo as Aragorn and Boromir were hacking at the other tentacles. The monsters head came up above the water. I took aim and shot at the head. Aragorn and Boromir hacked at the two tentacles that were holding Frodo up and Frodo fell into Boromir’s arms.
“Into the Mines!” Shouted Gandalf.
“Legolas! Ireth!” Called Boromir.
“Into the cave!” said Aragorn.
Legolas and I took aim and shot the beast in the eyes.
“Run!” Aragorn yelled as we all gathered back into the Mine.
The beast pulled at the doors and rained rocks down on us. We quickly ran further into the Mine and out of the way of the falling rocks. But I tripped and fell onto the ground. I quickly covered my head as the rocks fell around me.
“Ireth!” shouted Frodo.
I waited for the tumbling rocks to stop before I lifted my head up…right into a rock. The rocks had made a sort of cage around me. I sighed with relief that they hadn’t killed me.
“Ireth!” shouted Aragorn. “Ireth! Can you hear us?”
I coughed as dust filled my lungs. “Yeah,” I coughed I picked up my sword and pushed it through one of the cracks between the rocks. “Over here!”
“Boromir, help me lift this up,” said Aragorn and he and Boromir lifted up the heavy rock. “Legolas! Quickly, pull her out!” Aragorn grunted under the weight of the heavy rock.
Legolas wrapped his arms around me and quickly pulled me out of the whole. Aragorn and Boromir let go of the rock and it fell back onto the other rocks with a loud crack.
I coughed as I dusted myself off. “Thanks.”
The four little Hobbits came running at me and wrapped their arms around my legs.
“We thought we lost you!” cried Pippin.
I chuckled, “It’ll take a lot more than that to get rid of me.” I patted the hobbits back.
“We now have but one choice,” said Gandalf said after a moment. “We must face the long dark of Moria. Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs In the deep places of the world.” Gandalf spoke as he was passing us with the lit stone on his staff. I stayed near Legolas who was behind Gandalf. Behind us were the Hobbits and then the Men.
“Quietly now. It’s a four-day journey to the other side. Let us hope that our presence may go unnoticed.”
The Mines of Moria were dead. Everything was dirty and dark. Carcasses of Dwarves were everywhere. Books and weapons were scattered throughout the Mines. And if it wasn’t bad enough. Many of the stairs were steep and easy to fall down from. Even the Hobbits had a hard time.
Gandalf climbed a set of stairs first, showing the way with his light. Legolas helped me up behind him and the Hobbits were struggling behind us. Pippin slipped and almost sent Merry tumbling down the steps.
“Pippin,” hissed Merry as he hit him.
I frowned, “It’s all right, Pippin. Even I, an Elf, am having a hard time with these stairs. And my kin are supposed to be graceful.” Pippin smiled up at me. I held out my hand that wasn’t holding onto Legolas’s. “Here.” Pippin took my hand and I helped him up a few steps. I then helped Merry, Frodo, Sam, and even the two Men up the steps…with the help of Legolas too.
“You are very kind, Ireth,” Legolas spoke to me when the steps were cleared.
I blushed, “Why do you say that?”
He chuckled. “You just helped for little Hobbits and two grown Men up the steps. I do believe that is very, very kind.”
I smiled but I frowned when I looked up and saw three passages ahead of us. And the look of confusion on Gandalf’s face didn’t make it any better.
“I have no memory of this place,” he whispered.
Gandalf sat down in front of the three passage doors and thought. The rest of us took seats and made a fire. Aragorn pulled out his pipe and began to smoke. Hours passed but Gandalf still didn’t remember anything of this place.
“Are we lost?” asked Pippin.
“No,” hissed Merry.
“I think we are.” Whispered Pippin.
“Shh! Gandalf’s thinking.” Merry whispered back to Pippin.
“Merry?” asked Pippin.
“What?”
“I’m hungry.”
I giggled as Merry pushed Pippin over, “We’re all hungry.”
“Now, Merry, there’s no need to be like that.”
“But I’m hungry!” he complained to me.
I giggled, “We will get food soon, little Hobbits. Don’t worry.”
From above I heard Gandalf say three days. Had we really been in here that long? I shook my head. At least we’d be out of here soon, if that was correct.
I shifted my gaze over to the men. Aragorn and Boromir were sitting next to each other, luckily not arguing, for once. And Legolas was looking out into the Mines. I stood up and walked over to him.
“You don’t have to be on watch all the time you know,” I said bumping him with my shoulder.
He chuckled, “Evil does not rest. So neither should we.”
“No. Evil does rest. And so should we. Just not all at once,” I giggled.
Legolas gave me a look, “Very clever, Ireth. I never thought of it that way.”
“Oh!” said Gandalf. Legolas and I turned to look at him. “It’s that way.”
“He’s remembered,” smiled Merry.
“No,” countered Gandalf, “But the air doesn’t smell so foul down here. If in doubt, Meriadoc, always follow your nose.”
I smiled and quickly followed after Gandalf.
“Let me risk a little more light,” whispered Gandalf. The light grew brighter and we could see all around us now. Many columns filled the large area and lead to different doors and passage ways. “Behold,” said Gandalf, “the great realm and Dwarf-city of Dwarrowdelf.”
“Now, there’s an eye opener, and no mistake,” Sam said in awe.
As we walked down one of the sides of the large area, Gimil gasped at a door way and ran towards it.
“Gimli!” called Gandalf.
We fallowed after him. The room was small, compared to the one we just came from, and the floor was littered with Dwarf remnants. A single, small window lit a tomb in the middle of the room.
“No!” cried Gimli. “No! Oh, no.” He knelt down in front of the casket and bowed his head. “No,” he cried. I gently placed a hand on his back and he did not shake it off.
“‘Here lies Balin, son of Fundin, Lord of Moria.’” Gandalf read off the stone casket. “He is dead, then. It’s as I feared,” Gandalf said as he took off his hat.
Gandalf gave his hat and staff to Pippin and picked up a book that one of the skeletons was holding. He opened the book to one of the last pages and blew the dust away.
“We must move on. We cannot linger,” Legolas whispered to Aragorn.
I knelt down beside Gimli as Gandalf began to read.
“‘They have taken the bridge and the second hall. We have barred the gates but cannot hold them for long. The ground shakes. Drums, drums in the deep. We cannot get out. A Shadow moves in the dark. We cannot get out. They are coming.’”
A loud crack made me jump up from my kneeling position. Pippin had touched one of the skeletons and the head fell down the well it was sitting on. But that wasn’t all the rest of the body followed behind it and pulled down a bucked that was on a chain connected to the skeleton down as well. It was loud the whole way down. I watched Pippin’s face every time the body and bucket hit another turn or a side of a wall, creating a loud noise.
“Fool of a Took!” Snapped Gandalf, “Throw yourself in next time, and rid us of your stupidity.”
I frowned at Gandalf, “Gandalf there’s no need to be…” I was cut off by the sound of drums. “My God,” I whispered.
“Frodo!” whispered Sam.
I looked over and saw Frodo’s sword glowing blue. I quickly notched an arrow in my bow.
“Orcs,” growled Legolas.
Boromir ran out to the doors and looked out. Two arrows whizzed by his face and stuck in the doors.
“Get back! Stay close to Gandalf,” commanded Aragorn.
Boromir and Aragorn then both quickly shut the doors as a loud cry could be heard.
“They have a cave-troll,” said Boromir, sarcastically.
Legolas, Boromir, and Aragorn then began to barricade the door with left over weapons in the room.
I stood back by the Hobbits with my bow raised and ready. Gandalf drew his sword and the Hobbits drew theirs as well. The door rattled with the oncoming Orcs. I shimmied a few paces back. Afraid of losing concentration.
Gimli climbed up onto Balin’s casket. “Let them come! There is one Dwarf yet in Moria who still draws breath.”
I smiled at the Dwarf’s bravery. Aragorn, Legolas, and I stood in a row, our bows drawn, ready for the Orcs to break through. When an opening in the door was large enough from the Orcs breaking it down, Legolas let his arrow fly through the whole and kill the Orc on the other side.
Then the Orcs broke through. I released my arrow and struck an Orc in the heart he fell over and the other Orcs tramped over the body. Aragorn, Legolas, and I let our arrows fly as the Orcs advanced. Once the Orcs were close enough, Aragorn and I put away our bows and drew our swords. The Hobbits too soon became engrossed with the battle. And were doing quite well for Hobbits.
Then, a large angry troll came through the door way. It was an ugly thing. Its nose was shushed up into its face and its eyes weren’t even with each other. Legolas shot an arrow at it but it only made the troll angrier. It went to smash Sam with its large metal club but Sam jumped between the troll’s legs and got away. I glared at the troll and pulled my bow out again. I then rained arrows down on the ugly beast. I shrieked in pain as something sharp stabbed into my leg. I turned and saw an Orc who wasn’t quite dead yet, stabbing a dagger into my leg. I pulled back my bow and shot an arrow through his head. I then pulled out the dagger and threw it at the troll, the same time Gimli threw his ax into the troll’s shoulder. Gimli jumped down from his stand on the casket as the troll brought his club down on it. As Gimli ducked and ran from the troll, the troll took out many of his own men. Legolas notched two arrows at once and shot at the troll. It stunned the troll enough to send it backwards. But the troll then reacted and used its chain as a whip and tried to hit Legolas with it. I notched an arrow and shot the troll in the back of the head. But it didn’t notice. I ran to Sam, who was actually holding off the Orcs with his frying pan.
“I think I’m getting the hang of this,” he sort of chuckled. I smiled at him and then took my dagger and threw it at an Orc that was behind him. He looked at me wide-eyed. “Thanks.”
“No problem, Sam.”
I heard Pippin’s scream and I looked up to see that the troll had divided Merry and Pippin from Frodo.
“Frodo!” called Aragorn.
I watched as the troll searched for Frodo and then pulled him out of the corner he was hiding in. “Aragorn!” cried Frodo. “Aragorn!”
“Frodo!” Aragorn called back.
Frodo cut the hand of the troll and the troll dropped him onto the floor. As the troll was about to slam his club down on Frodo, Aragorn jumped down with a spear and shoved it into the trolls chest. The troll dropped its club and cried in pain. Merry and Pippin then showered the troll with rocks. The troll threw Aragorn back into a rock.
“Aragorn!” I cried but he didn’t respond.
The troll then began attacking Frodo with the spear. Frodo tried to get away but couldn’t. I tried my hardest to get to him. Cutting down every Orc in my way. But the next time I looked over I saw the troll drive the spear into Frodo’s side.
“Frodo!” I screamed.
I swung my sword around and cut the Orc’s head off that was in front of me and ran at the troll that now had Pippin and Merry on its back. I slashed at the beasts legs.
“You ugly, horrid troll,” I shrieked.
The troll grabbed Merry and threw him off. But by then, all of the Fellowship was hacking at the beast’s legs, trying to bring it down. I backed up and pulled out my bow. I took aim and waited for the beast to lift up its head and then shot at its throat. The troll tumbled down and Pippin flew off his back. I turned and ran to Frodo. I knelt down and touched his back. Tears fell from my eyes and I bowed my head. I had failed him. I had broken the most important promise I had made. And that was to protect him and the other Hobbits. And I had failed.
Aragorn climbed over and touched Frodo. “Oh, no,” he whispered and then rolled Frodo over.
Frodo gasped and groaned.
“Frodo!” I cried. I grabbed him from Aragorn and hugged him. He laughed and I pulled away.
“He’s alive,” Sam said with relief.
“I’m alright. I’m not hurt,” Frodo replied out of breath.
“You should be dead,” whispered Aragorn. “That spear would have skewered a wild boar.”
Gandalf took a step forward. “I think there’s more to this Hobbit than meets the eye.”
Frodo unbuttoned his shirt a few buttons and showed a shirt he had on underneath.
“Mithril,” whispered Gimli. “You are full of surprises, Master Baggins.”
Rattling of more Orcs could be heard coming towards the room. “To the Bridge of Khazad-dum!” gasped Gandalf.