Not All Legends Are True

Chapter Nine

We quickly ran from the room and out into the large hall. Orcs swarmed around us in hundreds. I felt the blood running down my leg but I concentrated on keeping the Hobbits safe and that was to keep up with them. Soon Orcs were climbing up the cracks in the floor all around us. I quickly caught up to the four Hobbits and kept them close to me. The Fellowship stopped and formed a circle around the Hobbits and I, who stood in the middle of the Hobbits.
The Orcs surrounded us when something growled from down the hall. Whatever it was scared the Orcs back into the depths of the mines. But a glow was now emanating from the hall I looked at Gandalf who looked scared out of his mind. I quickly looked down at my leg. I pulled up my dress to the wound and saw it was deeper than I thought. I hid the wound quickly before anyone could see it but the pool of blood at my feet would soon give it away.
“What is this new devilry?” asked Boromir.
I clamped my hand down on my wound and looked up at the light. Legolas looked over at me and saw the blood.
“Ireth,” he whispered. I quickly shook my head. I didn’t want to upset the Hobbits.
Another growl came before Gandalf answered Boromir. “A Balrog. A demon of the ancient world. This foe is beyond any of you. Run!”
Gandalf started off first and the rest of us followed close behind. I winced at the pain in my leg but continued to run. We ran to another opening in the wall. “Quickly!” spoke Gandalf as he pushed us inside. Boromir ran inside first and almost went head first down into a cavern. Legolas grabbed him and pulled him back,
“Gandalf,” whispered Aragorn.
“Lead them on, Aragorn. The bridge is near.” Aragorn was about to turn back and fight the demon but Gandalf pushed him. “Do as I say! Swords are no more use here.”
Gandalf quickly ushered us down the steps. There was a gap in part of the steps. Legolas leapt first.
He turned, “Gandalf,” he called waving him to jump. Gandalf jumped down and Legolas steadied him. An arrow hit the stone just below Boromir’s feet. We looked up and there were Orc Archers above us. I brew my bow and hit one of the archers in the head, the same time Legolas hit one of the others through the head.
“Merry! Pippin!” yelled Boromir as he grabbed the Hobbits and jumped acrossed the gap. Part of the steps broke away as they jumped.
“Sam!” Aragorn said as he grabbed a hold of Sam and threw him over to Boromir. Aragorn went to throw Gimli acrossed but he stopped him.
“Nobody tosses a Dwarf,” and Gimli then jumped acrossed the gap and almost fell down but Legolas grabbed him by the beard to pull him back up. “Not the beard!” cried Gimli.
More of the stairs fell away I grabbed Frodo and pulled him up the steps with me as Aragorn pushed us up. I looked at the gap that was there now and frowned. There was no way we could make it.
“Steady,” whispered Aragorn as he held onto me and Frodo. “Hold on!”
As the Balrog got closer it made stones and rocks. I held onto Frodo, afraid of what was going to happen next. One large stone then fell right threw a part of the stairs behind us. The steps we were on then began to move. We started to sway.
“Hold on!” cried Aragorn. “Lean forward!”
Frodo, Aragorn, and I all leaned forward. The steps then began to sift down towards the rest of the Fellowship. I stood behind Frodo and held onto his shoulders. Once we got close enough I tossed him to Boromir and Legolas caught Aragorn. Aragorn quickly moved out of the way and I jumped into Legolas’s arms. He pulled me close and made sure I was steady.
“You look pale,” he whispered in my ear as we followed after Gandalf down the rest of the steps.
“I’m fine,” I murmured.
“Over the bridge!” yelled Gandalf. “Fly!”
The growl came from a fire that was going behind us. Gandalf glared at the fire as a large demon came from it. Gandalf turned and we all ran for the narrow bridge. Aragorn, Boromir, and Frodo were the first across the bridge. Pippin, Merry, and Sam followed behind them. Gimli jogged across and Legolas followed behind him. I quickly limped trying not to show the pain I was now in as I ran after Legolas. I knew Gandalf was behind me but once I was acrossed the bridge I turned and saw he had stopped in the middle of the bridge.
“You cannot pass!” Gandalf shouted at the Balrog.
“Gandalf!” Cried Frodo.
I went to run and get Gandalf but my leg gave out. Legolas picked me up and walked further away from Gandalf and the bridge. The Balrog stood up straight and fire emanated from its skin.
“I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor.” As Gandalf spoke the light from his staff grew. “The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun!” The Balrog brought down its firry sword down on Gandalf but the light that Gandalf had served as a shield against it. The Balrog’s sword then disappeared into flam. “Go back to the Shadow,” growled Gandalf. The demon now pulled out a firry whip. “You shall not pass!” Gandalf then slammed his staff down onto the stone bridge. As the demon charged the stone bridge underneath it and it fell into the abyss. Gandalf turned to leave but with a flick of the demon’s whip, the whip wrapped around Gandalf’s leg and pulled him down. Gandalf was able to hold onto the edge of the bridge. Frodo tried to run to Gandalf.
“No! No!” yelled Boromir as he grabbed Frodo.
“Gandalf!” Frodo cried.
I squirmed to get out of Legolas’s arms but he wouldn’t let me go. I had tears in my eyes. “No! Gandalf!”
“Fly, you fools!” yelled Gandalf. He then let go and fell after the Balrog.
I froze and Legolas carried me out of the mines while Frodo, on the other hand fought to get to Gandalf.
“No!” cried Frodo.
Boromir picked him up and took him away. As Orcs started to gather at the other side and shot arrows.
“Aragorn!” Boromir called.
Legolas carried me out after Boromir and Frodo. Outside was bright compared to the dark mines. Legolas gently set me down on the cool rocks.
“Ireth,” he whispered. “Where is your wound?” I slowly pulled up my dress and showed him the deep wound that still had blood seeping from it. “Gimli!” Legolas called to the Dwarf. Gimli climbed the rocks over to us. “Let me barrow a strip of cloth from your blanket. Please,” he asked the Dwarf. Gimli nodded seeing my wound and pulled out his wool blanket. Legolas used his dagger and cut a long strip from it and then wrapped it around my leg.
“She’ll need medicine,” grumbled Gimli.
“Legolas,” called Aragorn. “Get them up.”
Legolas patted my hand and then walked over to Pippin and Merry.
“Give them a moment, for pity’s sake!” yelled Boromir.
“By nightfall, these hills will be swarming with Orcs,” countered Aragorn. “We must reach the woods of Lothlorien. Come, Boromir. Legolas. Gimli, get them up.” Aragorn jogged over to Sam and lifted him up, “On your feet, Sam. Frodo?” I looked out and saw Frodo walking away from where everyone else was. “Frodo!” called Aragorn.
Frodo turned and you could see the sadness and how scared he was. I frowned wanting to comfort him but it’s what I needed right now too. Legolas returned to me and knelt down next to me. “Can you walk?” I nodded standing up but as soon as I tried to take a step I faltered. “I can car…”
“I’ll be fine,” I whispered. “I’ll just need some support.” Legolas smiled and helped me down the rocks and to the woods. By the time we entered the woods I could walk on my own, though the pain was still present.
The woods were beautiful. Leaves littered the forest floor with green moss on the rocks. It was so peaceful. I walked slowly, sort of straying from the others. I gazed around the trees as I listened to the Dwarf talk.
“Stay close, young Hobbits!” he hissed. “They say that a great sorceress lives in these woods. An Elf-witch of terrible power. All who look upon her fall under her spell. And are never seen again.”
“Mr. Frodo?” asked Sam.
I looked over at them and saw that Frodo had a frightened look on his face. I frowned but continued on into the forest.
“Well, here’s one Dwarf she won’t ensnare so easily. I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox,” Gimli spoke as came face to face with a drawn arrow.
I heard footsteps behind me. I quickly turned and saw Elves all around. I glared and went for my sword but someone placed a dagger at my neck and restrained my arms. I struggled but they didn’t let me go.
“The Dwarf breathes so loud, we could have shot him in the dark,” spoke one of the new Elves. His hair was blonde like Legolas’s but his eyes were brown. Gimli growled at his comment.
Aragorn bowed, “Haldir of Lorien. We come here for help. We need your protection and one of our friends is injured. She needs your medicine and soon.
You mean the deceiver?” he asked nodding to me.
Aragorn turned and looked at me then back to Haldir, “She is no deceiver. The stories of her aren’t true. She is quite loving and cares for her family and friends.
“Aragorn, these woods are perilous. We should go back,” said Gimli.
“You have entered the realm of the Lady of the Wood. You cannot go back,” said Haldir. “Come. She is waiting.”
His men lowered their bows and began to fallow after him. But the one who had the dagger at my neck didn’t let go.
“Aragorn,” I asked with tears in my eyes.
Aragorn turned to me, “Haldir. Please. Call off your men. She will not harm you or your people.
“Let her go!” cried Frodo as he ran over and tired to push the Elf out of the way. Pippin, Merry, and Sam all came running over as well. The other Elves raised their arrows at the little Hobbits.
“No! Please! Leave them be! They mean no harm! Please! Lower your bows!” I cried.
I saw Haldir’s eyes widen a bit. “You speak the truth, Aragorn. She is of what you say. But we will let the Lady of the Wood decide what to do with her. Tathar, release her but do not leave her side,” said Haldir.
The Elf nodded and let me go. The Hobbits quickly gathered around me and stayed by my side as we walked. Legolas came near me as well. But the Elf named Tathar was close behind, his dagger still drawn. I hugged the Hobbits close to me and stroked my fingers through Pippin’s and Frodo’s hair. It calmed me knowing I had my four greatest friends with me. Soon we arrived at Lorien. We fallowed Haldir up the steps of Lorien. The stair cases rounded the trees and connected to one another. We climbed the steps and little colored lights lit the stair well. I gazed in awe at how beautiful they were. We soon reached a little house in one of the bigger trees. And inside, I knew, was the Lady of the Wood. An Elf and a She-Elf came out of the house. Both were blonde and very beautiful.
“Nine there are here, yet ten there were set out from Rivendell,” spoke the Elf. “Tell me, where is Gandalf? For I much desire to speak with him.”
“He has fallen into Shadow,” spoke the She-Elf. “The quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little and it will fail to the ruin of all.” The She-Elf was quiet for a moment. “Yet hope remains while the Company is true. Do not let your hearts be troubled. Go now and rest for you are weary with sorrow and much toil. Tonight, you will sleep in peace.”
“What of her, my Lady,” asked Haldir as the others left, pulling the Hobbits with them.
I bowed my head not wanting to her to see my tears. “Look at me child,” spoke the She-Elf. I slowly lifted my head up. She cocked her head. And then I could hear her voice with in my mind.
You mean no harm; I can see it in your eyes. You love more than you hate. Growing up with the Hobbits has taught you that. But hate will soon drop upon your heart,” she said to me. Tears started to fall even faster from my eyes. “Do not cry, my child. For you have friends that will help you through your darkness. They will keep you in the light. Listen to them, no matter what they say, you must listen to what they have to say because it is only love that will come from them. Your companions of the Fellowship believe in your kindness and give it back just as unconditionally as you give it.” She smiled and jerked her head towards where the others had left, “You may go, my child.
Smiling I bowed, “Thank you, Lady of the Wood.”
“It is Galadriel,” she whispered.
“Thank you, Lady Galadriel,” I then turned but stumbled as I took a step.
“You are injured,” spoke Lady Galadriel.
“Uh, yeah. I almost forgot. I was stabbed in the leg by an Orc.” I said turning back to her.
“Galdor, if you please provide medicine for our dear friend here,” she spoke to one of the Elves. The Elf bowed and then walked over to me. He took my arm and pulled me into a little hut. I pulled up my dress to show him the wound. He pulled off the cloth.
“That is a mighty, wound you have there, Lady Ireth,” he said pouring water over my blood crusted leg.
“Orc drove a dagger into my leg,” I sighed.
Galdor then picked up a small bowl and cloth. He then began to dab the wet cloth on my leg. It stung and I quickly pulled away. “It’s medicine, Lady Ireth. It’s supposed to sting.” I nodded and he continued to dab my leg. He then bandaged me leg and stood up. “It shall heal quickly now, Lady Ireth.”
“Thank you, Galdor,” I smiled giving him a small bow.
“You may go now,” said Lady Galadriel. “And quickly, before your friends rain their weapons upon my people,” she smiled.
I smiled back at her and the quickly turned to race down the steps. Part way down I could hear Gimli.
“I say we charge them. She has been gone for too long,” he grunted. Smiling I placed my hood up and covered my dress with my cloak.
“No, Gimli, we mustn’t start a war here,” spoke Aragorn.
“They could be killing her right now!” he yelled. The next bend around the tree is where the stood. I stopped and looked at them, and they looked at me though, I knew they couldn’t see my face. “Where is she,” growled Gimli as he held up his ax. I did not answer. He took a step forward but Legolas grabbed him. “Is she alive?” asked Gimli. I shook my head at his concern not realizing what he had asked. The Dwarf growled and ran at me. I quickly unsheathed my sword and blocked the Dwarf’s ax, laughing.
“Gimli,” I cried. “I did not mean to set you into a fit of rage,” I said pulling my hood down, laughing still. “I am fine. I was shaking my head because for a Dwarf who hate’s Elves it quite concerned about one.” The Dwarf looked up at me, astonished and then grumbled putting his ax down. I giggled as the little Hobbits came running up to me and hugged me. “Come now, it’s not like I was gone that long,” I smiled.
“We thought they were going to kill you,” cried Pippin.
I shook my head, “No. But I am about to die of exhaustion soon though. Where are we sleeping?”
Aragorn, smiling, waved for us to fallow him. I saw the smirk on Boromir’s face as he walked down behind Aragorn. Gimli fallowed behind them grumbling to himself. I giggled and fallowed after the Hobbits. Legolas brought up the rear.
“Are you all right,” he whispered to me.
I smiled and looked back at him, “I am fine, Legolas. They treated my wound and then let me go. I’m fine.”
He smiled at me. I giggled and quickly skipped down the steps after the Hobbits.
Later the Elves had set up tents for us to sleep in at the base of one of the many massive trees. Legolas had gone to get water while I helped the Hobbits get their beds ready (after they had eaten of course) and the men were smoking. I could hear the Elves singing in the distance.
“A lament for Gandalf,” said Legolas.
“What do they say about him?” asked Merry.
“I have not the heart to tell you. For me, the grief is still too near,” whispered Legolas.
I stepped out of the tent and walked of a little ways, looking up at the trees.
“Take some rest,” Aragorn said to Boromir. “These borders are well-protected.”
“I will find no rest here,” Boromir responded shakily. “I heard her voice inside my head. She spoke of my father and the fall of Gondor. She said to me, ‘Even now there is hope left.’ But I cannot see it.” His breaths were ragged as he spoke. I frowned looking over to him. “It is long since we had any hope.” Aragorn walked over and sat down next to Boromir. “My father is a noble man. But his rule is failing…and…our…and out people lose faith. He looks to me to make things right, and I would do it. I would see the glory of Gondor restored. Have you ever seen it, Aragorn? The White Tower of Ecthelion. Glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver. Its banners caught high in the morning breeze. Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?”
“I have seen the White City long ago,” spoke Aragorn.
“One day, our paths will lead us there. And the tower guard shall take up the call: ‘The Lords of Gondor have returned.’”
I smiled at the Men and then turned back to the tents. I walked over to the little Hobbits and gently tucked them in, even though they were already asleep. I smiled at them and then walked over to where Legolas was laying. I laid my blanket down next to him with my pillow.
“Where you scared,” he asked once I was settled.
“Of Lady Galadriel? Yes. Of death? No.” I whispered looking up to the sky.
“Why do you not fear death?”
“Oh. I fear death. But I did not fear of death visiting me here. As soon as Galadriel spoke to me, I knew I would not be dyeing tonight,” I whispered. I looked up at Legolas. “What’s being a true Elf like?”
He chuckled, “You are a true Elf, Ireth.”
“Well. I meant, what’s it like growing up as an Elf…with other Elves?”
“Well,” he sighed. “Where do I start?”
Smiling I snuggled up next to him as he began telling me stories of the Elves.