Pencil, Paper and Passion.

Bruises.

Chemistry seemed to drag on for forever. I glanced at the clock for the sixtieth time and groaned silently. I had to endure thirty more minutes of Mr. Gallagher explaining our syllabus for the year. Thirty more minutes of Mr. Gallagher throwing concerned glances towards my bruised face.

In defense, I buried my face in my arms and shut my eyes. I could feel the cold desktop against the tip of my nose and I smiled, remembering when I was little, how when it snowed, I'd stay outside until my nose was numb from the cold and running. Reveling in the memory, it was a few minutes before I realized that Mr. Gallagher had stopped talking. Curious, I lifted my head.

"Did you have a pleasant nap, Elizabeth?" Mr. Gallagher asked from beside my desk.

"I wasn't sleeping." I stated, indignant. Anyone could see I was wide awake. Besides, at least four other students had their heads down. So, why is Mr. Gallagher singling me out?

"Well, you certainly weren't paying attention." He went on, "I'll see you after school, Elizabeth."

I stared at him for a few seconds, before I nodded sharply. "Fine." I wasn't going to argue, because while he was in the wrong for only getting on to me, I had not, in all honesty, been paying attention.

Mr. Gallagher nodded in return, then went on with his lecture on the rules and regulations of Chemistry II, room 219. I, childishly, stuck my tongue out behind his back. Ignoring the snickering of my classmates, I propped my chin in my hands and pouted.

Suddenly, I remembered the concerned glances Mr. Gallagher had been giving me and scowled. He wasn't going to lecture me about paying attention in class. No, he was going to interrogate me about the hand-shaped bruise marring the pale skin of my cheek.

Maybe I can conveniently forget, I thought to myself then shook my head. No, he wasn't going to let me just forget. I had no doubt he would give me a weeks detention if I didn't show after school.

I continued to scowl as I plotted different ways to get out of 'detention' with Mr. Gallagher. Determined, I sat up and reached into my bag for a notebook and pen. The pages of the notebook were stiff and the pens cap was un-chewed. A small smile crept across my lips: I loved getting new school supplies.

I flipped the notebook open and pulled the cap off the pen, before starting a list.

~~~~~~~~~

When the bell rang, I left the class as quickly as possible. After that, time passed quickly and before I knew it, I was sitting at a lunch table with Brandt and three of our other friends: Micah, Lacy, and Danielle.

"I wish Charles wasn't sick." Danielle whined petulantly.

I scowled down at my chicken fingers, wondering how she had become our friend. None of us really had anything in common with her and she whined about everything. It was an annoying trait, especially seeing as how she whined about the most insignificant things.

"It's not like she can help it." I stated flatly.

"What's your problem, Lizzy? You've been in a pissy mood since you sat down." Danielle frowned at me.

"My name," I said menacingly. "Is Eliza. And, I can be in a bad mood if I want to. That doesn't mean I have to justify myself to you."

"Eliza..." Brandt started cautiously, glancing at Danielle. Aside from being perpetually whiny, she always over- dramatized things.

"You are such a little bitch!" Danielle's eyes flashed and she stood up. Leaning down into my face, she yelled, "You're always rude to me!"

"I'd advise you to step away from me, Danielle." My tone of voice was soft but even I could hear the threat in it.

Danielle, obviously, couldn't. Oblivious to the stares we were getting from other students, not to mention a couple of cafeteria workers, she kept yelling in my face. "I mean, what did I ever do to you? You think you're such a perfect-"

She broke off as I gave her a small shove, backwards. Instantly, her hand flew out, making contact with my already bruised cheek, screeching all the while, "Don't you dare push me! I'll rip your fucking hair out!"

Before she could even retract her hand, I stood up and punched her squarely in the nose. Now, I was yelling. "I am obviously not having a good day! Did you really think it would be a good idea to get in my face?! Huh, Danielle?!"

She didn't answer, too concerned with her bleeding nose. "Oh, my God! I think it's broken!" With that said, she burst into tears and ran from the cafeteria.

I watched in satisfaction, before I calmly sat back down. I picked up a chicken finger from my plate and dipped it in a puddle of ketchup. I bit into it and looked at my friends, chewing thoughtfully. All three were staring at me in shock and I knew perfectly well why they did so.

I never lost my temper. I never yelled and I certainly never punched anybody. Shrugging, I said, "I'm sorry for that, but she snapped my last nerve.

Brandt spoke first. "She get's on everybody's nerves, Eliza. We've all snapped at her at some point in time."

Micah added his input. "Yeah. Besides, she did hit you first."

Grimacing, I reached up and trailed my fingers lightly over my bruised cheek. The throbbing ache I had killed with four aspirin only hours before had returned. Still, I sighed and shook my head. "I really shouldn't have hit her back though. I've already acquired detention, now I'll probably be suspended, also."

"Detention? And a fight? On the second day of school, no less." A masculine voice said from behind me. I sighed again as the school principal, Mr. Avery, continued. "I have to say, Miss Sinclair, I'm quite shocked at your behavior."

"I'm sorry, Mr. Avery. I don't know what came over me." I looked up at him from under my eyelashes. "Is Danielle's nose broken?"

He lifted an eyebrow. "Why don't we speak in my office, Miss Sinclair."

As it wasn't a question, I nodded and stood up, grabbing my bag. I looked at Brandt. "Would you throw my plate away?"

"Yeah, don't worry about it." He said, looking concerned. Then he mouthed the words, "Text me."

I nodded and left with Mr. Avery. We walked down the deserted hallway in silence and I tugged at a strand of my hair, feeling awkward. Suddenly, I thought of my mother and nearly groaned. Settling for a grimace, I tried not to imagine how angry she was going to be. Not to mention what her friends would think, I thought, rolling my eyes heavenward.

When we reached the office, Mr. Avery held the door open and gestured me in, before following close behind. I kept my eyes on the ground now, nervous beyond reason. I had never been in trouble before. The only time I ever came to the office was for a teacher, if I had a note to turn in, or if I needed to speak to a counselor. But never for disciplinary reasons.

"Ah, Benjamin! And how has your second day of teaching gone?" Mr. Avery's voice prompted me to lift my head in curiosity. Mr. Gallagher stood there, his eyes on me. A slight smirk appeared on his lips. "I've had to give one student detention, but aside from that, it's been wonderful."

I dropped my head and scowled down at the floor. Mr. Avery noticed the gesture and first looked surprised, then slightly amused. "Well... Miss Sinclair, do you have anything to say?"

I stubbornly kept my eyes on the floor and shook my head. Mr. Avery sighed. "Come into my office, both of you, and we'll chat."

I took one step forward just as Danielle exited the nurses office. She held an icepack to her nose and faint bruising was beginning to show around her eyes. Before I could control it, a smug smile graced my lips. I'd gotten her but good.

Danielle spotted me and immediately started crying. "Mr. Avery, are you going to expel her for what she did to me?!"

"Stay here, you two. I'll be back in a few minutes." Mr. Avery said, resigned. He went to Danielle and urged her into his office, trying to console her.

I rolled my eyes again and noticed Mr. Gallagher staring at me. Disconcerted, I looked away and walked to a seat away Mr. Avery's office door, and sat down. To my dismay, Mr. Gallagher followed, sitting in the chair next to mine. He continued to stare at me until I shifted self-consciously, rubbing at the bridge of my nose. "What?"

He shook his head. "I'm trying to picture you punching that girl, but it's impossible."

"Why?" I asked, offended. Didn't I look capable of hitting someone?

He gave me a look that said, Isn't it obvious? I lifted an eyebrow in return, Um, no, it isn't.

He opened his mouth to speak but before he could say anything, Mr. Avery and Danielle stepped out of Mr. Avery's office. I frowned sullenly and slumped down into my seat. Mr. Avery patted Danielle's shoulder before nudging her in my direction. She stopped in front of me and said stiffly, "I'm sorry for hitting you."

I stared at her for a few seconds before stating blandly, "I'm not."

Danielle gasped and whirled, marching back to Mr. Avery. I heard an odd choking sound and glanced at Mr. Gallagher in concern. He shook his head and I noticed his eyes were gleaming with amusement. Automatically, I responded, my lips curving to match his. Our eyes held, and I felt the same heat from earlier creep into my body but this time, I felt no panic or fear.

Mr. Gallagher stopped laughing, stopped smiling. Instead, he frowned at me even as an answering heat lit his eyes, turning them a molten shade of purple. Staring at me intensely, he asked quietly, "How old are you, Elizabeth?"

"E-Eighteen." I whispered back. "Three weeks ago."

Still frowning, he muttered, "Of course you are. It would be easier if you weren't."

I felt my brow furrow in confusion. What could that possibly mean?

I opened my mouth to ask him when Mr. Avery's voice sounded. "Miss Sinclair, Benjamin...you can come into my office now."

I looked away from Mr. Gallagher and stood, following Mr. Avery into his office. Mr. Gallagher followed soon after and took a seat in one of the chairs in front of a large, oak desk. I hesitated, my stomach fluttering with nerves, then sat in the other chair. Mr. Avery sat behind his desk.

"First off," He said, staring at me. "Did you procure that bruise in the fight with Miss Scott?"

I shook my head but didn't elaborate. Mr. Avery shot meaningful glance at Mr. Gallagher. I looked in time to see him nod once. My eyes narrowed, Now, what was going on here?

Mr. Avery looked at me again. "Now, Miss Sinclair, tell me what happened at lunch."

I nodded and quickly gave him a rundown of the events that had occurred. I ended my story with a swift apology and lapsed into silence. Mr. Avery was nodding. "Okay...alright, yes. Benjamin, do you need any help getting you classroom in order?"

Mr. Gallagher blinked. "Well, my supply closet looks as though everything was just...thrown inside, haphazardly. I could use some help organizing it."

Mr. Avery nodded again. "Alright, Miss Sinclair, for the next month, starting today, you will spend your lunches, and an hour after school everyday, helping Mr. Gallagher organize his classroom." Mr. Avery looked to Mr. Gallagher, who nodded, for confirmation.

An entire month?! I opened my mouth to protest, "But I-"

"If that isn't satisfactory to you, or if you fail to show up, I will suspend you for a month." Mr. Avery stared at me steadily. I could feel a pout beginning to form on my lips, but I nodded. "Fine, I'll organize Mr. Gallagher's classroom. But, please, could my mother possibly stay uninformed?"

Both Mr. Avery and Mr. Gallagher stared at me in surprise. I kept my face bland, unwilling to show any emotion. It wasn't that I was afraid of my mother, it was just that I didn't want to fight with her again. Because I had no doubt she'd kick me out, saving herself from anymore embarrassment, and I refused to leave my little brother, Tucker.

Mr. Avery cleared his throat. "Normally, I would contact a student's parents but seeing as this is your first offense and you are a legal adult, I'll make an exception. But," He said, staring pointedly at the bruise on my face. "No more fighting."

I met his eyes and saw understanding. He knows, I thought. He knows, but somehow, he understands.

"Thank you." I said quietly. I looked at Mr. Gallagher. "Both of you. I really appreciate not being suspended." I joked, cracking a smile.

Both men smiled in return, just as the bell, signaling the end of lunch, rang. I looked at Mr. Avery. "Should I just go to class?"

He nodded and I stood at the same time that Mr. Gallagher did so. He nodded to Mr. Avery and me, then left the room. I turned to leave, also, but stopped in the doorway, looking back. "Mr. Avery?"

"Yes, Miss Sinclair?"

I tilted my head. "Did I break Danielle's nose?"

He chuckled. "Yes, actually, you did. She's waiting in the nurses office until her mother picks her up to take her to the hospital."

I smiled and left Mr. Avery's office.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay...I freaking hate this chapter. It sucks ass, honestly. The next chapter totally makes up for it though, in my opinion. But, then again, I suppose I'm biased. :P