Pencil, Paper and Passion.

Complications

Someone was shaking me. I tried to lift my hands in defense but they became tangled in the blanket covering me. Groaning, I opened my eyes and came face to face with my Chemistry teacher. I stared at him blankly, confused. What the hell...?

Mr. Gallagher smiled. "Good morning, Elizabeth. How are you feeling?"

"How am I feeling?" I asked incredulously, disturbed by how calm he seemed. I glanced away from him and gasped when I didn't recognize the bedroom I was in. My eyes shot back to Mr. Gallagher. "Where the hell am I?!"

"My bedroom." He said simply.

"Your what?!" I shrieked, sitting up as fast as I could. My head spun sickeningly but I ignored it and scrambled from the bed I was in. I stood, swaying, and glanced about wildly. I was in my teacher's bedroom. I'd just crawled from his bed! I was still dressed? I looked down at myself, surprised to see the grey sweats and white shirt. I turned my eyes to Mr. Gallagher, who was doubled over in laughter.

I huffed. "How on Earth can you find this humorous? Why am I in your bedroom?"

"Not for the reason you seem to think!" He gasped out, getting a hold on his obvious amusement. He wiped his eyes. "Lord, what a ridiculous thought!"

"A simple, 'We didn't have sex' would have sufficed." I said stiffly, embarrassed. "There was absolutely no need for the hysterics. Now, are you going to answer my question?"

"Don't you remember?"

"Obviously not."

"Hm, well. Let's see: You cut your hand on some glass in the-"

"Wait, I remember that."

"Oh. What's the last thing you do remember?"

"Screaming at you and then kicking my tire. A lot. And then...I think you carried me to your car?" He nodded and I closed my eyes, trying to recall more but couldn't. I sighed, opening my eyes. "That's where everything just..." I waved my hands. "Goes black, I guess. I can't remember anything else."

"Alright. After that, you refused to let me take you home; saying your mother wasn't home and-'

"She's not. She's in the-"

"Hamptons, I know. Anyway, you sort of dozed off, mumbling something about Charlotte. I tried to get her address from you, several times, but every time I asked, you started crying. So, I gave up on that idea and brought you here."

With narrowed eyes, I plucked at the shirt I was wearing. "I wasn't wearing this yesterday. Where are my clothes?"

"On my bathroom floor. I made you get in the shower, to warm up. Since your clothes were soaking wet from the rain, I gave you some of my pajamas to wear."

"Oh." I frowned. "Why didn't you take me home, after I'd gotten warm?"

"You almost passed out in my recliner, so I put you to bed. Besides, why would I take you out in the rain, again?"

"Hm. How long did I sleep?"

Mr. Gallagher chuckled. "You sure ask a lot of questions. You've been asleep since around five o' clock yesterday, so..." He looked at his watch. "About thirteen hours. Speaking of time, I've got to go to work."

"Go?" I blinked. "But- What about me? I can't just sit in your house all day! What am I supposed to do?!"

"Sleep. You're sick and emotionally exhausted; you need rest."

"I can rest at home. Can't you take me home?" It felt weird being in my teachers house. I wasn't about to prolong it by staying there and sleeping in his bed while he went to work. I gave a mental grimace as I realized how domestic it sounded; not to mention how creepy, considering he was my Chemistry teacher.

"Alright, I'll drop you off on my way to the school. But, you have to promise you'll actually sleep and that you won't come back to school until your fever's gone."

"I promise."

"Let's go then. I can't be late."

I nodded and scuttled to the bathroom to gather my discarded clothes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Well, uh, thanks. For everything." I said awkwardly, once Mr. Gallagher had braked in my driveway. I grabbed the plastic bag I'd shoved my still wet clothes in and pushed open the SUV door. "See you... In a few days, I guess."

"Lots of sleep and lots of fluids, Elizabeth. Remember that and you'll be well in no time."

"Yeah... Bye, Mr. Gallagher." I scrambled from the SUV without waiting for him to respond. I ran up the front steps and inside without looking back.

I went straight to my room and crawled under the covers of my bed. Mr. Gallagher was right; I was exhausted. I yawned and turned over, to my side, curling into myself comfortably before I let sleep claim me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two days later, my fever finally broke. I pulled myself out of bed at five in the morning and headed for the shower. I allowed myself the luxury of lingering under the warm stream for nearly an hour. I dressed much as I had the day I'd gotten sick, with slight differences; floral hoodie, light semi-skinny jeans and pink ballet flats. I left the house at 7: 30 a.m. and jogged down the front steps.

It took me five seconds to realize two things:

One: I'd thrown my school bag onto the ground in the school parking lot, and

Two: I had no idea where my car was.

I sat on the bottom step and brooded. Was my car still in the school parking lot? Or had somebody had it towed? Where was my school bag? Had someone stolen it or taken it to the lost and found? How was I going to get to school? I didn't even have my phone, it was in the bag, so I didn't have Brandt or Charlotte's numbers to call them for a ride.

I stood and went back into the house. Five minutes later, I exited, water bottle in hand and determined. I'd already missed three days of school; I wasn't about to miss another. So, I descended the front steps again and set off at an easy pace. By car, it took me thirty minutes to get to school. I didn't know how long it would take on foot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One hour and thirty minutes later, I was again sitting on a step. Only this time, it was the schools. I pulled my sweaty tank-top away from my equally sweaty body; I'd shed my hoodie about halfway to the school and it sat beside me on the step. It may have been September and the beginning of Autumn, but it could still get pretty hot in Tulsa, Oklahoma, where I lived. Groaning, I stood and made my way into the school, going directly to the bathroom to clean up.

I pulled my tank-top off and stood in my bra, splashing cold water on my face and upper chest. I didn't care if someone walked in and saw me; I just wanted to cool down. Eventually, I pulled my hoodie on and went to the office for a late slip, just as the bell rang. Grinning at my luck, I bypassed the office and headed for first period. I walked in just as Charlotte was sitting down in her usual seat. When she saw me, she jumped up and rushed to hug me. I was smiling until her hand came up and connected with the side of my head.

She shrieked, "Where the hell have you been?! Three days, Elizabeth Brenna Sinclair! I haven't heard a word from you in three freaking days! I almost called the police!"

"I've been sick. Jeez, Charles, did you have to hit me so hard?" I reached up and rubbed the sore spot, scowling.

"You couldn't have called or text?! Brandt and I were worried about you, Elbee!'

I softened at the childhood nickname and said softly, "I'm sorry, really I am, but I lost my phone. I didn't have your number to call or I would have. Please, Lottie, forgive me?"

My use of her childhood nickname had her softening equally. "Fine, but don't you ever do it again! How did you lose your phone, anyway?"

"I'll tell you at lunch." I grabbed her arm and pulled her to our seats quickly as the bell rang again. I sat down just as Mr. Gallagher entered the room. His eyes strayed to the back of the classroom and landed on me. Smiling, he nodded almost imperceptibly to me, then started the class. Turning my head, I noticed Charlotte staring at me, wide-eyed and knew that she'd seen the gesture Mr. Gallagher had made. I shrugged and mouthed, Lunch.

I turned my head back around and sank into my seat. I glared at Mr. Gallagher and wondered how much more complicated my life would get with him around.

I didn't know at the time of my wondering that it would get much, much more complicated... And in such a short time, too.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is just a filler chapter, really. It sucks and I'm sorry, but my life's gone a little wacko at the moment, so I couldn't spend a lot of time on this chapter. But, everything should be worked out soon enough and my writing will be back on track... Well, it will be anyway because I've got a nice idea for the next chapter. ;D So, I'm sorry this chapter sucks so much and I promise to make up for it in the next one!!