Status: finished ;)

3,000 Miles to Love

Chapter 11

Mckenzie's POV

I went back to Aunt Sue and Uncle Gandy's and we watched movies and talked all day. It was actually really fun. I'm glad Cameron said something to me. It really did make them seem happier. I went to bed that night thinking about Cameron. He really was the sweetest person over.

The next morning, I went to Nathan's house. All the guys were there, and a girl I've never seen before.

"This is Lyla," Nathan said. "She's our friend from high school."

"Hi," I said, smiling.

"Hi," she said, sounding like she was in a bad mood and not smiling at all. I sat down beside Cameron and he put his arm around me. Lyla just looked at us with a blank expression.

"So, who wants to go swimming?" Zach asked.

"I do," I said. The rest of the guys agreed.

"I have to leave," Lyla said.

"But you just got here like ten minutes ago," Nathan said.

"I know. I just rememebered that I have to do something at home," she said.

"Oh. Well, you're welcome to come back when you're done," he told her.

"Thanks, but I don't think I can," she said, walking to the door.

"Okay, I guess we'll see you later then."

"Okay," she said, opening the door. "Bye." She walked out, closing it behind her.

"I don't think she likes me very much," I said as soon as the door shut.

"I'm sure that's not true. She's just shy. She's like that when she meets new people," Nathan said.

"Really? She acts angry and leaves?" I asked, trying to prove a point.

"Well, no."

"Okay then. She doesn't like me. And, she didn't even give you all of the details of why she was leaving. She probably made it up," I said.

"You know, she kinda has a point," Mikey said.

"Thank you," I said, glad someone agreed with me.

"Well, I don't see why she wouldn't like you," Nathan said.

"She kept staring at Cameron and I," I said. "Do you think that's what it is?"

"Maybe, but she's usually not the jealous type. I really don't know what to think."

Mikey turned on the tv and play station. The Guitar Hero logo showed up.

"Oh my God, I love this game. Gimme a guitar," I said. Zach handed me the second player one. Mikey picked a song and clicked on expert. The song started and we frantically pressed notes. Halfway through the song, I still had one hundred percent accuracy and Mikey had ninety-six percent.

"Holy crap," Zach said. "First volleyball and now this. What isn't this girl good at?" I laughed still not missing any notes. The song ended a few minutes later with me having ninety-nine percent and Mikey with ninety-four."Cameron, you are a lucky man," Zach said. I laughed as i gave him the guitar and sat beside Cameron.

We screwed around all day, just doing whatever we were in the mood for. I stayed over again, waking up to the doorbell ringing. The guys were alseep so I opened the door to see Lyla standing on the step.

"Oh, hey, Lyla," I said, just trying to be friendly.

"Hi," she said, sounding nicer this time.

"The guys are asleep."

"Oh, that's fine. I just came to talk to you," she said.

"How did you know I'd be here?" I asked.

"Just a guess," she said with a smile.

"Okay. So, what did you want to talk to me about?" I asked as we stepped outside so we wouldn't wake the guys.

"I just wanted to apologize. I was in a really bad mood yesterday because I found out my parents are getting divorced."

"Oh, I'm sorry," I said.

"It's cool. I just thought we got off on the wrong foot and I wanted to make sure you knew the real me. I'm really not all mean like I was yesterday." I looked at her, surprised.

"It's fine. I totally understand," I said.

"Thank you so much. You are a really nice person. I'll bet we can be good friends," she said. We said our good-byes and she left. I went back inside and sat down beside Cameron, who was still asleep. I felt bad now. I judged her by saying she hated me when she was just upset. I sat back and stared out the window until I felt Cameron sit up beside me.

"'Morning," I said to him.

"'Morning," he said back, rubbing his eyes. "So, what do you want to do today?"

"I don't know. Maybe go swimming?" I suggested.

"Sounds good," he said. We got up and ate breakfast. Afterwards, we decided to go for a walk. It must've seemed like I was acting different because Cameron asked me if I was okay.

"I'm fine," I said, taking his hand.

"Are you sure? If there's something bothering you, you can talk to me about it," he assured me. I hesitated.

"Well, when you guys were asleep, Lyla came by. But she didn't want to talk to you guys. She want to talk to me," I explained.

"What did she say?" he asked.

"She apologized for being rude. She said it was because her parents are getting divorced."

"Really? She didn't tell us that," he said, surprised.

"I feel bad about judging her, but there's just something about her that makes me not like her. I don't know exactly what it is, but I can just feel it."

"I can see what you're saying because she didn't tell us about her parents. She tells us everything. And I don't get why she would make something like that up."

"She was staring at us, remember?" I asked. "Do you think she likes you or something?"

"Maybe," he said. I looked at him with sad eyes. He seemed to have caught on right away. "Don't worry. It's you that I love. And besides, she's never said anything to me before about something like that." After he said those words, I felt a little better, but I still couldn't help feeling suspicion towards Lyla.