Status: finished ;)

3,000 Miles to Love

Chapter 8

Cameron's POV

I kissed her. Oh my God - I kissed her. That was the best thing I've ever done, ever, in my life. I wonder if she liked it just as much as I did. When the guys came downstairs, we stood up.

"You guys ready?" I asked.

"Yep," Zach asked.

In the car, Zach drove, Nathan called shotgun, and Mikey, McKenzie, and I all sat in the back.

"Hey, guys. Guess What," I said.

"What?" they all said.

"She's a volleyball player," I said, looking at McKenzie. She smiled.

"Oh my God, seriously? That's awesome!" Zach said.

"We should all go down to the beach and play together," Nathan said.

"Who wants to do that instead of going to the mall for the day?" Zach asked.

"All of us," Mikey said.

"Yeah," McKenzie and I agreed.

We drove back to Nathan's house and put some old clothes on.

"I didn't bring any other clothes," McKenzie said.

"You can wear something of mine," Nathan said.

"Okay," she said awkwardly.

After she changed, she put on a pair of my flip flops and we left.

"Aawwhh, look how cute she looks in boy's shorts," Mikey said. We all laughed.

"Yeah, I look pretty adorable, huh?" she said sarcastically.

When we got to the beach, we went to the volleyball net that was there for the public. We sat our stuff down and got the ball out of the bag. We went into the sand.

"McKenzie and Cameron against Mikey and I?" Nathan suggested.

"Sounds good. I'll sit out and keep score," Zach said.

"I think McKenzie should serve first," Nathan said, throwing the ball to her. She tossed it up, and smacked it just over the net. nathan dove for it and missed.

"Jeez," he said. "Girl's got game." Zach flipped the score cardto one point on our side. She served again, doing the same thing to Mikey.

"You go, girl!" I said, wrapping my arms around her and giving her a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Okay, I'm not touching that volleyball if I find kisses on it," Mikey said. We all laughed.

We played for a couple hours. By the time we finished, we were all worn out and the sun was setting. We grabbed our stuff and got in the car. McKenzie leaned on my shoulder and fell asleep a few minutes later. I put my head on top of hers and dosed off.

We woke up to a flash we could see through our eyelids. Zach, Mikey, and Nathan were leaning over the front seats with their cell phones.

"Did you just take a picture of us?" I asked.

"Yeah," Mikey siad, laughing.

"Lemme see," McKenzie said. Zach handed her his phone. She looked down at the screen, her eyes sparkling from the light. I love it when they sparkle.

"I look really stupid when I sleep," she said.

"No, you dont," I said after I looked at the picture. "You look adorable."

"Shut up, I do not," she said, smiling.

"This is my new facebook picture," I said. We all laughed.

"Yeah I guess it is kinda cute," she admitted.

"Nnoo, it's very cute," I said. She smiled and kissed me. The guys just sat there staring at us.

"Aawwhh," Zach said.

"Shut up," I said, smiling. McKenzie laughed, stroking her long, blonde hair.

We got out of the car and went inside. Nathan put a movie in and we all sat in the living room. It was late so McKenzie decided to stay overnight. She leaned against me and I put my arm around her. She took my hand. We sat there for a while. Mikey got up to get some food and looked at us, smiling. Then, he walked off into the kitchen.

"At least it's not a scary movie," she said.

"I wouldn't actually mind one," I said.

"Why is that?" she asked.

"Because you'd be jumping on me the whole time," I answered.

"And you'd enjoy that?"

"Yeah, it makes me feel protective," I said, smiling. She laughed.

"Yeah, that's why," she said sarcastically.

"It is," I said seriously. She looked into my eyes and the smile on her face slowly faded. "What?" I asked. She looked away.

"It's nothing," she said, looking down.

"It's obviously something," I said. She sighed and looked back up at me.

"It's just...I...I really like you, but I'm not staying here forever," she said.

"We'll make it work," I said, rubbing her shoulder. "I'll call you every day and visit you as much as possible."

"What about your concerts? Won't you be busy?" she asked.

"Well, yeah, but I'll make time. I promise," I said.

"I don't want to take you away from your best friends and your music," she said.

"McKenzie, listen to me very closely," I said as she began to tear up. "You are very, very important to me. I'm not going to let my music ruin it. You are the best thing that's ever happened to me and I'm not just going to let you throw that away." I took her hand. She looked up at me.

"I love you, Cameron Quiseng," she said. I smiled.

"I love you, too," I said back. She hugged me. As I held her close to me, I realized how true everything I said was. She pulled away and smiled at me. I kissed her cheek. We went back to watching the movie and soon fell asleep.