Status: On hold , help me?

Smile for Me

12

Brian walked into the studio the next day, feeling exhausted yet somehow really happy.
Last night had been a blast. After dousing the girls in beer, they had settled in the room backstage to party on their own before venturing out into the bar once it had closed to the public. Because Katie, Emma, and Jen were still underage, the guys and Val had been getting them drinks all night even though the bartenders obviously knew what was going on.
He and Katie had had a blast together, dancing and laughing, maybe even flirting a little bit. She was an amazing girl, she really was. And so fucking gorgeous, it almost hurt to look at her. Brian had almost asked her out a few times, but figured that would be inappropriate as they were both pretty hammered. He’d wait until she was sober.
After the partying had ended, he had made sure she got into the cab okay and promised her he’d call about her birthday. He couldn’t wait to take her out.
“Someone’s in a good mood.” Val remarked as he entered the room.
He grinned, then laughed when Johnny groaned.
“Get that smile out of my face, it’s hurting my eyes.” Johnny curled up into a ball on the other side of the couch and put his hands over his face to shut everyone out.
Matt glared at him, even though Johnny couldn’t see it. “You better smarten up, dude. You go in next.”
“Yeah, yeah.” Johnny muttered into his hands, making Matt roll his eyes.
“So what’s with the big smile?” Val asked as she sat down beside Brian on the other couch.
He shrugged. “Just having a good day, I guess.”
She nodded and narrowed her eyes at him. “Mmhmm.” She took a deep breath and got a little more comfortable, tucking her legs underneath her as she said, “So I was talking to Katie last night.”
Brian waited for her to continue and when she didn’t he said, “And?”
“She said that you’re a sweetheart.”
He smiled and looked at her. “Really? What else did she say?”
“Mmm…nothing much, really.” She bit her lip and frowned before grinning and looking back at him. “Oh, she also said that you’re her God.”
He laughed. “What?”
She nodded and laughed with him. “Seriously. I think she really likes you, Syn. In fact, I know she does. And if you like her – which I know you do – you need to go for it and ask her out. Who knows what can happen?”
He nodded and turned when Matt was in front of them.
“Why are you giving Syn love advice?” Matt asked slowly with a frown.
“I’m not.” She said, standing and winking at Brian. “I’m just telling him something he already knows.”
Matt nodded and kissed her before sitting down next to Brian as Johnny pulled himself off the couch and grabbed his guitar so he could record.
“This album is going to be awesome.” Matt predicted with a nod.
Brian nodded back and added, “Fucking awesome.”
Then he turned his eyes to the glass and watched Johnny do his thing while he wondered what to do for Katie’s birthday.

The next few days passed very quickly and, lucky me, my eighteenth birthday landed on a Friday.
I got up that morning and put extra care into my make-up and outfit, thinking I should look better than decent, as it was a big day for me. I straightened my hair to perfection and put on full eye shadow, eyeliner, and mascara and even added a little lip-gloss before heading to get dressed. I pulled out my favorite jeans – they were dark and tight with holes in the knees and hips – and a tight white tee with The Misfits logo and name across the front with my favorite black Chucks. I added a fitted black zip-up hoodie and was ready to go.
Slinging my bag over my shoulder, I headed into the kitchen to grab an apple to eat on the way when I noticed a card sitting in the table with Katie scrawled across the front of the white envelope.
I ripped it open and read the card, half-smiling when I held the fifty-dollar bill and read what my dad wrote on the inside:

Katie,

I know it’s not much but I didn’t know what else to give you. Spend it wisely and have a good day. Happy birthday, kitty. I love you.

Daddy

“Thanks, Dad.” I murmured, sliding the card into my bag and putting the money in my wallet before heading off to school.