Status: On hold , help me?

Smile for Me

20

Balancing myself with my feet on the bars and one hand on the windowsill, I grabbed the windowpane and pulled. I jerked on it a few times, but there was nothing.
It was locked.
“Is it open?” Johnny called up to me.
“No.” I said, slightly out of breath.
I looked down at the ground and felt a little sick for a minute. I never took the time to think that every time I had climbed down the trellis, I had been perfectly sober. Now looking down at the ground and trying to find a foothold without falling while slightly inebriated didn’t seem so easy.
“You okay?” Syn asked, sounding worried.
“Uh…yeah. I’m fine.” I took a deep breath, said a little prayer and started to make my way down.
I climbed down until I was about two feet from the ground and decided that I didn’t need to climb anymore. I turned my body slightly and let go, jumping to the ground and landing, though a bit unsteady, on my feet. I took a step back and looked at the tree.
“Plan B?” I questioned no on in particular with a shrug and walked to the tree.
“What, you climb trees, too?” Jimmy was impressed.
I shrugged. “It’s not that hard. Em and I used to do it all the time when we were kids, and I used to dance. I’m pretty flexible.”
The guys looked at Syn with mixed expressions and I huffed.
“Perverts.” I muttered, making them laugh.
There was a perfect spot near the base of the tree for a person to step up on and I did just that, stretching up to grab the closest and strongest looking branch to pull myself up. I grunted with the work, out of practice, but managed to pull myself up and perched there before grabbing the next one.
I found myself a bit stuck and paused for a moment, thinking if I really wanted to take the risk or not. The next branch to grab, and the one that would lead me right to the window, was a little higher than I anticipated and would require a bit more body strength. If I grabbed it, I would have to pull myself up and somehow grab it with my legs, which would put me practically upside down before I would have to bring myself over to crawl across it to the window.
I was breathing heavily from anxiety and exertion as I looked back down at the ground. It seemed a lot farther than it actually was and the thought of having to climb back down made me feel sick. But if I fell…
“Hey, Syn?” I called down and he stepped into view, turning his face up to look me in the eye.
“Yeah?”
“If I was to jump or, say…fall,” I began nervously. “What would you do?”
He shrugged. “Catch you.”
It sounded like the simplest answer in the world and I started to smile at him before he started to speak again.
“I would try to, anyway, but I don’t know if I would be fast enough.”
I sighed. “That’s what I thought.”
I looked back up and mentally shrugged. I had come this far, I didn’t was to climb down now. And if I fell, I’d probably have a few broken bones but at least I tried.
Right?
“Baby, are you okay?” Syn called up.
“If you don’t think you can do it, Katie, just climb down.” Matt added. “Don’t hurt yourself.”
“I’m fine.” I said confidently, but my voice shook a little. “I’m just…taking a breather.”
There was silence after this and I took a deep breath and shifted, placing my feet on the tree beneath me to crouch a little as I reached up to grab the branch above me. I got it and started to pull myself up, circling my arms around the rough bark until my feet dangled in the air and swung them up to twist them around the branch.
“Holy fuck…” Syn swore darkly.
“That is amazing.” Johnny expelled at the same time and I smiled a little.
“She’s like a monkey.” Matt exclaimed, making me laugh out loud.
I started to slide myself around so I could sit on the branch, but I lost my grip and slipped just as I heard a startled scream from Val, and curses from the guys. But I regained my grip and strengthened my hold on the trunk, pausing to catch my breath.
“I’m okay, I’m okay.” I called to them, looking down to see Syn and Matt were almost right beneath me. I imagined them running to catch me and laughed giddily, thinking that climbing a tree while buzzed was not the best idea.