Status: On hold , help me?

Smile for Me

24

“What is that?” Jimmy demanded to know as Brian and I walked into the restaurant, where our large group had gotten a table in the back corner.
“What is what?” I asked, frowning at him to find out what he was talking about.
He raised his eyebrows and pointed, so I looked down to see he was pointing at the fact that Brian and I were holding hands, our fingers linked together.
“Oh, that.” I laughed and looked up at Brian as he squeezed my fingers.
“Yeah, she’s my girlfriend.” He told them proudly, smirking down at me.
There was a chorus of awes as we took our seats, which were side by side in between Emma and Matt.
“You do know what that means, right?” Zacky said, leaning forward to see Brian us around Emma.
“What?”
“You are now a cradle robber.” He said with a high-pitched laugh, seemingly proud of himself.
Brian and I looked at him like he was insane.
“How do you get that?” Emma asked.
“Well, the age difference. She’s eighteen; he’s twenty-three…” He let his sentence fade as if he was expecting us to agree with him. When we didn’t, he rolled is eyes and sat back with a huff. “Never mind.”
“Zacky, baby, that would make you a cradle robber, too.” She reminded him sweetly.
“Oh.” He said quietly and we laughed.
“Did you talk to Jen this morning?” Emma asked and I shook my head, looking at the menu.
“No, why?”
“She’s pissed off that we left her at the bar last night. I got yelled at for twenty minutes this morning before she hung up on me, so I assumed she was going to call you next.”
“Nope, I got nothing from her.”
She made a face at me. “Consider yourself lucky.”
“So, Katie, how’s it feel to be eighteen?” Matt asked.
I shrugged. “No different than seventeen.”
“You must have had a killer headache this morning.” Jimmy predicted with a smirk.
I shook my head and Brian spoke up, saying, “No, she was perfectly fine.”
Jimmy looked shocked for a moment before he shook his head and looked down at the menu again, muttering, “Kids these days.”