Status: On hold , help me?

Smile for Me

50

I laughed and watched Emma walk away before turning my eyes to see Val was also standing, picking up her wallet.
"I'm going for a drink. You want anything?"
"No, thanks."
She walked away and I was let by myself, listening to the laughter of the guys and the raise voice of Emma as she yelled at Zacky for some reason – there was always a reason, and he usually deserved it. Those two were so made for each other.
Sighing, I raised my knees and wrapped my arms around them, turning to look out on the rest of the beach. Many girls and guys were spread out, playing beach ball or lying down to get more of a tan then they probably needed. I laughed as some dude was shoving his tongue down some girl's throat, practically lying on top of her. Guess it was a public beach.
I was about to turn back to watch my guys when I caught sight of a family about twenty feet away, sitting on a large beach blanket and passing around food. The two little girls seemed to be about four and six, the younger one perched on her dad's lap while the older girl sat in between her two parents, seeming independent at such a young age. Her mom leaned down and whispered something in her ear and she erupted into a fit of giggles that I could hear, her dad and sister soon joining in on the laughter.
Watching them, I felt tears brim my eyes. I had had that; at one time, I had been happy with my family. I had an older sister who I adored, and a father who doted on us every chance he got. I had a mother who loved us more with every breath she took, and who was the foundation that kept us together.
Now my mom was gone, dead and buried. The last time I heard from my sister, she was living in LA, but that was six months ago, and I hadn’t seen her in four years. And my father was a drunk and abuser, and didn’t give a damn about anything except when he could get his next drink. I no longer had a family; my family was broken, and sometimes I wondered if I was broken, too.
"Katie?"
Pulled out of my thoughts, I looked up to see Brian coming towards me with a smile.
"What are you doing all by yourself?"
"Emma's with Zacky and Val went to get a drink." I replied, blinking quickly to get rid of the tears.
"What's wrong?" He asked, sitting down beside me. "You look sad."
I shook my head and smiled, kissing his cheek. "I'm fine."
He nodded and took another drink of his Diet Coke, putting the bottle in the sand before putting an arm around my shoulders.
I snuggled into his side, resting my head on his shoulder as I stared off into the distance, watching the waves roll and crash gently on the shore. I tried to stop thinking about what I had been before, but tears filled my eyes again and this time, I couldn’t hide them from Brian.
"Baby?" Brian turned my face up to his and when he saw the tears in my eyes and looked even more concerned. "What's wrong?"
I shook my head and hugged him, trying to get hold of my emotions. But the way he held me and whispered soothing words in my ear had the tears escaping my eyes, sliding hotly down my cheeks.
"Did the girls say something?"
I shook my head.
"Is it something I did?"
I huffed out a laugh. "No. No, it’s nothing like that."
I pulled away and wiped my cheeks, tucking my bangs behind my ears.
"Than what happened?' He asked, cupping my cheeks in his hands. "Please, tell me."
I took a breath and suddenly admitted, "Sometimes I really hate Christmas."
♠ ♠ ♠
The big 50