Status: (sexually) active.

Free Falling

Twenty-three.

"I have to ask again, why you asked me to do this, is this really smart." 

"Austin, it will be fine! He doesn't know and by the time he finds out it'll be too late to be mad."

"But don't you know like, five hundred lead singers? Why me, why not John Oh?" 

"Well though I do know many singers, you, Austin Gibbs, is the one that will cause the least amount of problems" She took a sip of her coffee. "People would know and talk if I did this John Oh because he practically lives with me and we dated before, and that causes too much jealousy than I can handle. Brian Dales talks way too fucking much and whenever Nick Santino plays his guitar for me in particular I want to punch that stupid smirk right off his fucking face!" She sighed once more. "The best reason is I don't hang out with you often so people won't expect and I'd like to be friends."

"Well then that's a good enough reason for me, do you want a cigarette?" He said placing his guitar next to their table.

"I'm trying to quit, although right now I need to calm my nerves, so a cigarette or spiking this coffee would be great." Aryn laughed.

"You're nervous about this open mic ni- wait you're a pot smoker aren't you?"

"What- wait, how'd you know?"

"I don't know you seem like the type sort of, we could go smoke some at my house loosen you up, warm up those fingers."

"I can't smoke any pot anymore because if I get caught I'll lose everything, get kicked off the team probably expelled and I don't have musical talent to fall back on like every other person I know."

"You play the piano better than almost everyone I know," Austin smiled at her.

"Yeah well I have been playing since I was like 4 or 5 so like 14 years of piano, I shouldn't be terrible."

"I'm excited to play this with you, he's gonna love it, like you  love him."

"I don't love Garrett."

"Maybe not yet, but I can see you really care about him." He grabbed her hands and squeezed them. "And I think he'll really like what your doing." Aryn smiled as a thank you before they got up to go to Austin's house.

•••

Garrett stared at his phone in disbelief.  Cassie had sent him a picture of Austin and Aryn holding hands in a coffeehouse; she was grinning widely and Austin was wearing a smirk. Garrett  didn't know if he should feel angry at Austin for stealing his girlfriend or feel betrayed by Aryn for going out with  one of his friends. He grimly ran a hand over his face before dialing Aryn's number. Just as he was about hit send, when his phone flashed a picture of Aryn.

"Hey I was just about to call you, hon," he added the pet name in hopes of making her feel guilty.

"That's funny sweetie. Anyways,  there's this open mic night at ASU and I wanted to know if you wanted to come with me, I heard Pat and Piper are going and it should be fun."

"Sure, we can make fun of the people who can't really perform."

"Maybe afterwards we can go to our diner or something, you can tell me what you need to then because I have to go, I'm a little busy right now."

"Oh yeah sure, talk to you later." Aryn hung up before saying goodbye. 

•••

"My sister texted you she'd meet you here?" 

"Yeah, I don't know where she is, she hasn't answered my texts telling me if she's here or not."

"It's Aryn, she's probably late like always," Piper laughed "Is that Gibbs over there by the stage?" She pointed to a man who was clearly Garrett's current arch enemy, Austin Gibbs.

"I bet he's trying to pick up easy ASU girls" Pat snorted and Garrett rolled his eyes. The lights dimmed and then the MC of the night came out.

"Hey hey hey, welcome to our first open mic of the year. As all you Tempe native know, our city and college has fostered tons of musicians. So tonight we have a real special treat for you, so without further ado, our first act" He walked off the stage as someone pushed a piano on stage and someone else sat on a stool with an acoustic guitar. 

The girl adjusted her mic before speaking, "Well that was a very nice intro for little ol' me. But some of you might know me as your school soccer star, Aryn Kirch, and if you don't you need to start supporting your damn school." The crowd laughed and Garrett looked towards Pat and Piper who looked at him just as confused.

"And as most of you know I'm one of those local musicians, Austin Gibbs, I recognize some of your faces" There were some female screams. 

"Shut up loverboy," Aryn shot at him. "Anyways, Austin and I are going to sing a little song, it's a love song," Garrett frowned.

"Ladies it's not about our love, I'm still single." Austin laughed.

"True, this song is dedicated to a special boy, he's real close to my heart and I know I apologize a lot but this is the most important." She smiled and Piper hit Garrett in the shoulder playfully.

The piano came in, Aryn's finger gently gliding across the keys, and Austin joined in with some guitar before he began to sing looking towards Aryn.

 Above the garage 
You climbed up the stairs
Welcome to no good 
I led you up there
But you were too youn
Welcome to no good 
Just remember that we all make mistakes and know
One big slip-up makes it all, all go away


Aryn complimented his words with whoas and ohs before she began to sing peeking into the crowd searching for Garrett.

You stepped over the line
And whose side are you on?
I know where I stand


They continued the song with switching lines and harmonies, smiling widely at each other.

And I don't blame you (and I stand up to you)
We spent too long in another world (Just remember that we all make mistakes
And that I--I'm not going away)
One big slip-up nearly took it away
No, No
No, I don't blame you
That would do no good
And thank hell that we're moving on, moving on
I used to hate myself just a little for that
I stepped over the line
But whose side are you on?
I know where I stand
I, I need you
But it's not normal
If I refuse
To be by myself
I, I need you
And it's not normal
If I refuse
To be by myself
Above the garage
You climbed up to sin
And up into no good (whoa-oh-oh-oh)
Just remember that we all make mistakes and know (whoa-oh-oh-oh)
One big slip-up makes it all go away
I led you up there
And lied I love you
(I love you)
You know I do (I do)
Just remember that we all make mistakes and know (I...)
One big slip-up makes it all go away (I...)
You stepped over the line
But whose side are you on?
I know where I...
I, I need you
But it's not normal
If I refuse
To be by myself
I, I need you
And it's not normal
If I refuse
To be by myself


Aryn smiled blowing a kiss in Garrett's direction before walking to Austin and giving him a side hug. They both waved and walked off the stage as the crowd cheered.

Aryn came towards Garrett and hugged him and kissed him quickly.

"Not a perfect lyrical match but I hope you still liked it,"

"I loved it, thanks for the surprise." He grinned hugging her again before kissing her.

"So to our diner?"

"To our diner," 
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay guys, I've been proof- reading after I post them and sometimes I read some of the stupidest mistakes ever and I'd really like if you guys tell me, because I write all these on my iPod and sometimes I can't help my mistakes.

Also nice work on the comments but I know you guys can do even better!