Status: Active

The Cure of Mankind

Jean.

I stayed frozen as the reporter's voice echoed through out my head. The remote control fell from my limp hand.

"--this medicine has been proved to neutralize the cells of a mutant. Bringing them back into our world. We're very excited to see how this formula affects future science advances in years to come. But for now, we're happy to introduce you to, The Mutant Cure"

“A cure,” I repeated softly.

I stumbled out of bed. I had to see the Professor. This couldn't be happening. There was no way that scientist could create a cure. Where could they have gotten mutant blood? Yanking open the door, I hurled myself into the hallway. I gave little thought to the pajamas I still wore. There was a more pressuring matter at hand. The door to Scott's room opened to my right.

“Jean!” he called after me.

I kept running. There was only one destination in my mind. I turned a corner bumping into a student. She fell on the floor. The impact made my hip ache.

“Sorry,” I said over my shoulder. I didn't stop running.

I turned another corner. The professor’s room was just at the end. He couldn't allow this cure to be used against us. We didn't have a disease. I skidded to a halt at the door and grabbed the cold, silver handle. I threw open the door and rushed into the room. Professor Xavier was still in bed. His head swirled around at my entrance.

“Jean,” he said surprised.

“Professor,” I said breathlessly.

Lost for words, I gestured to the television screen as the scientist repeated his discovery. I couldn't believe this was happening.

“Take a deep breath,” he said. “Calm down. Panicking will get us no where.”

“But professor,” I began.

“Jean, we must stay calm,” he repeated. “There are others to think about. The students need some guidance. I think-”

He broke off suddenly. His head turned to the direction of the living room.

“Professor, what's wrong?” I asked.

“There's a fight in the living room,” he muttered. “Bobby and Pyro are fighting.”

“I'll stop them,” I told him.

I hurried out of the room and ran into Scott. He grabbed my shoulders to steady me.

“Whoa there,” he said. “Jean, what's happening?”

“Bobby and Pyro are fighting,” I said. “We have to stop them.”

I had to remember control. Professor Xavier wouldn't allow any harm to befall those children. I shouldn't have worried so much. This “cure” had just gotten the better of me. I took a deep breath.

“Come on.”

Just as the Professor had said, Bobby and Pyro were fighting. Flames had erupted from Pyro's hands. Scott barged in before me.

“Knock it off, you two,” he commanded. “This is no time to fight.”

I walked into the room. “Scott's right,” I said. “I know that every one of you know about this “cure”. We have nothing to fear. The Professor won't let-”

“Are they going to force us to get that “cure”?” came a question from the room.

“Yeah,” said another. “We have to destroy that “cure”. We can't let them use that against us.”

“Hold on,” I interrupted. “We can't take action against them. That will only make matters worse.”

Bobby and Pyro backed away from each other. I could feel the tension between them. I was sure the “cure” had caused this fight. I knew there would be others between students as well.

“Right now,” I continued. “It is best for all of us to remain calm until we know what they're trying to accomplish with this “cure”. Let's not jump to conclusions, alright?”

There were mummers of agreement throughout the room. For now everyone wasn't panicking. We had to keep it that way.

I have to get that cure . . .

I looked at the faces in the room. The thought had been to unexpected that I couldn't locate who had thought it. I grabbed Scott's arm and lead him out of the room. I didn't talk until we were a good seven feet away.

“Scott,” I said. “Do you think some students will want that cure?”

He glanced away. “I don't know, Jean,” he said rubbing the back of his head. “They're scared. Kids get scared when they have powers. Heck, I was scared at their age too.” He chuckled without humor. “This “cure” has thrown them out of their comfort zone. Some of them were beginning to accept how their lives are. Now, they're confused. We have to give them time to adjust.”

I nodded. He was right. I had always accepted my powers even when I was younger. The thought of a cure had never crossed my mind. I hugged myself feeling cold. I jumped as Scott placed his hand on the shoulder.

“It's going to be fine,” he said. “You'll see.”

“Of course,” I said. “I'm going to go get changed.”

I walked back to my room. Thoughts about the cure flowed freely into my mind. It was in everyone's thought. No one knew what to make of it. In my room, I took a quick shower and changed into a pair of khaki jeans and a navy blue, t-shirt. I was blow drying my hair when there was a knock on my door. I turned the blow dry off. After placing it on my night stand, I walked toward the door and opened it.

“Rogue,” I said surprised.

“Can I come in?” she asked.

“Sure,” I said.

I stepped aside and she walked in. I closed the door. I waited for her to speak.

“That cure everyone is talking about,” she began. “Shouldn’t we like try to protect it?”

“What-?” I asked. I couldn't believe what she was hearing.

“I just meant that other mutants that don't want the cure would try to attack the facility where it is being kept,” she said. “Sure they have their guards and policemen but wouldn't we be a much better protectors?”

“I-I guess,” I said. “It's not for us to decided. There might be mutants out there that do want that cure and helping them by protecting the cure is a good idea.”

“But-?” she asked.

“What if people don't want us to protect it?” I asked. “What if they think of this as an opportunity for us to get rid of the cure?”

She was silent for a few minutes. “I guess you have a point,” she said. “Do you want that cure?”

Her question caught me off guard. “Well-I,” I stammered. I walked to my bed and sat beside her. “I don't know what to think. I'll talk to the Professor about what you said. I think he will agree with you too. We just have to figure out a way to make them understand that we want to help.”

***
Breakfast was usually an uproar. Everyone was fighting over orange juice or more food. Today, however, was quiet. No one was talking. I was standing by the fridge with my plate of scrabble eggs and toast untouched. We we were all in our own thoughts.

I looked up at the sound of running feet. A student burst into the kitchen. Every pair of eye turned to look at him.

“The television,” he gasped. “There showing mutants receiving the cure.”

The room was silent for five seconds before everyone jumped up and ran toward the living room. Just like the student had said there was a scientist administrating the cure a a mutant with blue skin. The bottom of the screen said that she could control water molecules. She was sitting in a chair strapped “for her own protection”.

We held our breath as the needle went into her arm. Nothing happened. The needle came out. Another scientist came with a glass of water. The girl tried her powers but nothing happened.

“I can't do it,” she said. “I-can't . . .”

There was a stun silence. The scientist started to cheer and clap. The girl was crying. I felt hollow and sick.

“How could anyone do that?” Pyro asked the silent room. “Who would want that to happen to them?”

His questions hanged heavy in the air.
♠ ♠ ♠
This isn't the best chapter. Sorry for all the grammar mistakes in the chapter that I know I made. :) I hope you like it.

Comment? Subscribe?