Status: Good As Gold by: The Click Five

When Summer Stole My Heart

Chapter Nine

We were all walking along the shore line of the lake that I had seen when I was left alone up in the court yard above the castle. I had taken off my shoes and now feeling the water lap at my ankles. The castle was in front of me, looming above all the trees, blocking the sun. Connor came up and threw his arm around me.
“Why do you always look so sad, Cousin?”
I refused to meet his eyes. I haven’t really spoken to him since we have been here. I don’t really know why. I have been just so wrapped up with all that’s going on, and talking mostly to Lucas and Dorian, that I have barely made any time to even be with Connor.
“Because, Connor, we are all stuck here, and it’s all my fault.”
Connor shook his head, “Evie, it’s not your fault, if it’s anyone’s fault here its Dorian’s. And we aren’t stuck here. We all want to be here.”
I frowned, but didn’t say anything.
All of a sudden Max and Julie went whizzing by, most of their clothes off, and jumped into the lake. Emmet and Valerie followed. Lorethan walked up beside Connor and I, “Well, are you two going to join them?” Connor and I looked at one another and smiled. Might as well have some fun while we’re here, right?”
The sun was setting by the time we were all forced out of the lake by Lorethan. “We don’t want to miss supper, do we?” He had asked. Lorethan reminded me of a parent in a way. He was always very observant and he always spoke in a caring way, just like my own father always did when I had done something my mother wouldn’t have approved of. So we all got out and put our clothes back on. My dress clung to my damp body, thank goodness it wasn’t white.
The towns fey were all closing up shop and shutting their windows. There were a few faeries still out walking around. A little girl ran up to me and tugged at the hem of my dress.
“You’re pretty.”
I smiled down at her and knelt in front of the cute little faerie, “Why thank you sweetie! You are very pretty yourself.”
“I’m happy you’re here, it’s been so much warmer!”
I tilt my head to the side. “Um, what do you mean sweetie?”
I looked up when I heard feet slapping the cobblestone, “Oh! Liffey, you can’t just go-.” She stopped short when she saw me. She dipped her head in a bowing motion and took hold of her daughter’s hand. She mumbled something that sounded and awful lot like, ‘Your Highness’ then briskly walked away. I stood up and gave my friends a strange look but Lorethan hurried us to the castle acting as if that little exchange between me and that little girl hadn’t even happened.
* * * * *
In the castle, and finally in our own bedrooms I waited for Valerie to finish up with her bath. Julie had already taken hers and was out looking for Emmet. The bathroom door opened and Valerie stepped out, wrapped in a towel, “Alright, it’s all ready for you!”
I thanked her and went in.
“You know,” She started, before I could close the doors, “I don’t really like it here.” I chewed my bottom lip and nodded, “I don’t either.”
I quickly washed up and dried off. When I went back into the bedroom Valerie was gone. With the towel still wrapped around me I take a seat on my bed. None of them were truly happy here. If only I had held more firmly on my point of not going into those stupid woods then we wouldn’t be in this situation right now.
I got dressed into a simple dress with a floral print and took out the book Lucas had found. I swept my hand over the old cover, feeling the leather and bumps. An Talamh na Fey was printed in bold letters. I clicked open the flap, holding the book together and peered inside. It was all in Gaelic. Great. I slam it shut and throw it on my bed, all of the books here must be in Gaelic, or some ancient language!
I grabbed my shoes and yanked them on furiously. If I can’t read these then there is no way in getting out of here; that is, unless Dorian gets a change of heart. Though I doubt that’ll ever happen.
A knock came from the door. It squeaked open revealing Dorian. He was wearing a pair of brown pants, a white shirt with the cuffs rolled up to his elbow and a vest. His hair was a copper color again and he was shining brightly, his blue eyes the colors of midnight. This was the most casual look I’ve ever seen him in. He grinned at me, then spotted the book behind me on the bed. His smile fell and he stormed over to it. Picking it up, he examines the name. I speak first.
“Forget it Dorian; I can’t even read it.”
His glow began to get brighter… and hotter. He dead-panned, “How did you get this?”
I took a step backward, he was getting very hot. It seemed as though he was now on fire. “The bookkeeper in town; he gave it to Lucas as a gift.” I explain, now fearful that the room would be set ablaze. He clenched the book tightly and then it burst into flame. I let out a yelp and stumble backwards.
He glared at me the stalked out of the room; leaving me standing next to a pile of ashes.
My lip quivered slightly as a tear escapes my eye. I bite it my lips to quit it from letting out a sound and go sit on my bed. Why did it bother me so much when I made him upset. I throw my head into my hands, trying to keep myself from crying. A few more tears escaped but I quickly wiped them away.
A gentle knock sounded in my ear. I peek through my fingers to see Lucas looking at me with concern. He doesn’t say anything but comes and wraps me in a hug. “I just saw Dorian storming by. He was blazing.” I hiccupped and dug my head deeper into his chest. “He obliterated the book!” I cry. It sounded muffled due to the fact my face was pressed up against his body. He held me back, “Excuse me?” I pointed to the ashes on the floor, “He burned the book. I guess it doesn’t matter, I couldn’t read it anyways.”
“Maybe not you, but I can read Gaelic.”
My eyes shot up at him, “Are you kidding?!” I groaned and fell back onto my bed. I hung my head in defeat, “This is great! Just great!” Lucas rubbed my back, “We’ll just have to go back to the book shop and explain to the man that-.” I shake my head, “No use, Dorian will just burn it up again.”
I stood up then, “Come on, I’m hungry and I am sure everyone has started without us.” He didn’t say anything but followed me to the dining room. When we entered, everyone was sitting but there was no food set out on the table. My eyes swept across the room. No Dorian. Lucas and I took our seats but remained quiet as everyone around as buzzed.
The door opened again, my breath catching in my throat. It was Arianna. She floated over to Max and whispered something in his ear. He smiled and walked out the door with her. A few moments later food was brought to the table. Still no Dorian.
Everyone piled food on their plate and poured themselves wine. I put a little bit of this and that on my plate but ended up not eating. Where was Dorian? I took a sip of the wine that Lucas had poured for me. I could feel it run down the back of my throat. It was warm. It tasted something like honeydew and jasmine. I licked my lips, wanting to taste the sweet wine. My head started to buzz as I took another sip. I set the goblet down. I didn’t this feeling.
I slid my chair back, and walked out of the door on a mission.
I walked around until I found the stairs, then down the corridor until I came to the door that shone brightly. This was definitely his room. I reach out and knock softly. I waited for a few seconds. Nothing. I knock again, this time a little louder. Nothing. I grew inpatient and rapped against the door as hard as I could. Still nothing.
I grab the knob and turn, the door didn’t budge. I groan and lean against the door. He was making it very hard to apologize.
“Evelyn?”
Dorian was standing in front of me appearing bewildered. I stand up, blood rushing to my cheeks. I step aside, allowing Dorian to open his door. I follow him inside and he shuts the door. Lights above glimmered as he whispered his incantation.
“You weren’t at supper.” I pointed out. Way to go. I’m just awesome at point out the obvious, aren’t I? He bobbed his head and took a step towards me.
“I’m sorry.”
I blinked. Was he apologizing for not being at supper?
“I’m sorry for blowing up at you; for being so irate. Forgive me. I shouldn’t blame you for wanting to leave. I know it’s not too stimulating here.”
“Uh, well…” I drifted off. What was I supposed to say? For some reason I didn’t want to say anything that would hurt him. Is that odd? He gazed at me respectfully then walked over to the window I had tried sneaking a peak out of early on today. I go up and stand next to him. He was peering up at the full moon. The lights dimmed, letting us have a better look at the night sky.
“I can’t stand it when I make you cry you realize this I hope.”
I nodded but didn’t reply. Last night Lorethan had said something about Dorian being willing to do anything for me within reason of course. I turn my head to look at him, him and all of his beauty. He looked like he did when we were in the town center. He spoke again, “I thought maybe having your friends here would be helpful, not make you hate it here so much…”
“Dorian?”
He stopped talking and looked at me now, his eyes piercing mine.
I was about to ask him the favor when a rapping came from his door. He went to it and opened the door to show an unknown faerie, “Sir,” he said, “Your brother is back.” Dorian’s eyes flicked to me then back to the faerie, “Thank you Byron. Have everyone brought to their respective bedrooms and tell them to stay there.” Bryon dipped his head once and was gone.
“Darling, you need to stay here tonight.”
I looked around his room, “You mean, sleep here, with you?”
He nodded, “Yes, I’ll sleep on the sofa but you need to stay here. My brother is a very unpredictable man.”
I frown slightly but agree, just as long as we don’t sleep in the same bed. He tells me he’ll be right back and he vanishes. I go for the door I needed to talk to Lorethan about that favor I was going to ask Dorian. Locked. Are you serious? I moan and walk over to Dorian’s desk. If I’m stuck here might as well snoop.
I rifled through his papers until I came to a stack with Byron’s name scrolled on the top. I take a seat in the chair and flip up the top page. It was written in English.

May 23, 2007
I’ve found the girl you have been looking for. Quite a pretty girl. I don’t know much of her now, but if you wish, I shall stay here and learn more about her.
-Byron


That’s odd.
I turn the page.

June 18, 2007
I have received your letter and followed through with your request. She’s 13, as far as I know and has been released from school for the Summer. She lives in San Francisco, California. She’s still growing, it appears. She lives with her mother and father. That is all I know.
-Byron


I skip a few pages.

November 3, 2008
Her birthday just passed a week ago. Really Dorian, you should see the festivals these humans hold. Just three days ago they celebrated Samhain, oh forgive me, here they call it Halloween. It’s funny how they do so; absolutely no respect for the old ways of the pagans, the ones that respected us. Here they all dress very strangely, not to protect themselves but for a good laugh. They give away candy and throw strange parties. No sacrifices or anything of the sort.
Evelyn dressed up as a fairy, how peculiar that that would be the creature she has chosen to blend in with, don’t you think? It’s not like what we look like of course, it’s the way that the English have come up with, the ones with wings and glitter. How silly.
She’s been doing well.
She laughs quite a bit. More than the usual American I believe. Her grandparents have come and visited her once. Her grandmother tells her fairy tales about you. Untrue stories. Some of them have even frightened me.
One of them was of you stealing away into a home and killing an entire family and leaving a letter saying how much you enjoyed seeing the light leave their eyes.
It wasn’t you of course, I don’t know who she was speaking of, but I can guarantee this: that Evelyn will have nightmares of you.
That’s all I have for you now.
-Byron


That faerie has been watching me? Those stories Grandma told me weren’t actually of Dorian? Then who was it?
I gulp, afraid to read anymore. I skim through a few more pages and stopped at a familiar date; it was when I got back from Greece.

August 13, 2010
She has returned from her trip. She went to Greece, beautiful country I must say. Now she can’t stop talking about it. It was hard tracking her sometimes. She took planes, boats and trains. All of them were made of iron, or had iron aboard, I couldn’t risk it.
She’s truly beautiful, Dorian. She is 16 now, as I have told you before but her beauty truly does surprise me.
She does a lot of activities with her friends but often stays at home by herself. She reads quite a bit, much more than the average girl at this day and age. As I have learned she loved the heat you’d be happy to know, Summer is her favorite time of year. You have already been successful in making her happy without either of you knowing!
Her annoying friend Suzie, do you recall her? She tries setting Evelyn up with boys. She doesn’t have any interests in them; well visible interest, that is. She hardly talks to them really. She doesn’t date other than the times Suzie gets involved.
You’d be happy to know this: she doesn’t speak about any men that she is interested in.
You should see her green eyes: they are startling green, much like Ireland. She’s grown out her hair as well, she always had kept it short, but now it’s long and flowing. Unlike her friends she never got acne. It’s a disgusting pandemic, really. How sad that humans must endure it.
I almost forgot, there had been talk from her parents of her going to visit her cousin and grandparents in Ireland. This may be the opportunity you’ve been looking for.
-Byron


I slammed the pack shut.
He’s been keeping tabs on me, for all these years! He sent a watchman out to keep an eye out for me! What a complete and utter invasion of privacy. I slam the pack onto his desk and swivel around.
I look out the window, the moon, now high in the sky. I clench my fist and decide that I will be the one to sleep on the couch. There is no way I am sleeping in his bed.
I grab a blanket I see on his bed and go into his sitting room. I pour myself a glass of water and lie down. The couch was firm and wide; surprisingly comfortable. I drape the blanket over my body; though I wasn’t cold I still wanted to feel the blankets weight over me. I took a long gulp of water then set it down in the coffee table next to the sofa then curl up into a ball.
Hopefully I’ll get some sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
When The Day Met The Night- Panic At The Disco