Status: Good As Gold by: The Click Five

When Summer Stole My Heart

Chapter Three

I clung to both Connor’s and Lucas’ arms. There was no way I was going to let go of them in here. There’s no telling what could happen to me if I got lost. We kept walking forward, deeper and deeper into the darkness. I put my hand up and I wasn’t able to see my fingers. “You guys, please let’s go back.” My voice was barely a whisper, too shaky. I tug on their arms, “Please!” I almost scream at them. There was a sound of a large creature scurrying around us. I heard a scream and all of a sudden I was turned around and out of the woods in no times.
I stumble on something and drag down Lucas, Connor had let go of me when we had emerged from the woods. We toppled down and rolled. How convenient that a hill would be right at the edge of the woods. We rolled and rolled and finally we came to a stop with Lucas right on top of me. He looked down at me and grinned wildly. Rolling my eyes I push him off. He stood up and offered his hand to me; I push it away and stand up on my own. Looking around I see that we had rolled right into my grandparents backyard. “Well,” I begin, “Isn’t this convenient.” Lucas laughed and hollered up at the other guys to come on down.
I examine my clothes. They were all muddy, wet, and had horrible grass stains. Well, isn’t this just dandy.
* * * * *
Inside the house everyone was sitting around the fire, laughing, again. My grandparents had gone to bed long before we had even left. I sat back on the couch, letting the voices fade away. I wonder what all my friends would think back home. Me, Evie, the girl who has a hard time talking to guys, sitting in a room full of guys with two of them flirting continuously with me. Yeah, I think they would be proud. At least I know Suzie would be. That girl had been trying to get me on so many dates it’s not even funny. What would happen is that she would find some dork, then make us all go on a double date with she and her boyfriend and dork of the week. Dork and I were left in more than one awkward silence and well, none of them seemed to work out.
And now look at me, sitting in between Lucas and Max. I turned to Max, wanting to talk to him a little bit more, “So, Max, what are you doing over in Ireland?” He looked at me and smiled, “Well, you see I heard that this beautiful girl was coming to visit a good friend of mine and knew that I just had to meet her!” He proclaimed wrapping has arm around me. I laughed, “My, you’re almost as bad as Lucas!” I said. Lucas gasped, “I am offended! How dare you say he is more charming than me?” I turn to him with a raised brow. “I mean come on, look at this face.” He pouted with a grin and squinted eyes. “Yeah. Adorable.” This was so weird. I can actually talk to them easily. I am guessing it’s because these boys actually talk. Yeah, that’s right, none of the guys Suzie ever set me up with talk. They just gave me this weird look like they were trying to seduce me. And that was about it.
After everyone left Connor and I sat and caught up on life. Connor had been going to a boarding school over in England, which is where he met Max and the other boys. He had a girlfriend, Valerie, who I would be meeting tomorrow along with her friend Julie who I was supposed to meet today but apparently couldn’t come. His life wasn’t all exciting he had said. Then it was my turn, I told him that two summers ago my family and I went to Greece and it was the most amazing place on this Earth. I told him about Suzie and Ginny, my two best friends who protested me coming here but eventually got over it.
Connor sat up, we had been lying down in front of the fire, “I’ll put the fire out, you go ahead and get some sleep.” I yawned and gave him a hug then made my way to my room. Finally in my bed, I think about this summer, I am pretty sure I am going to have a lot of fun. Just as long as I stay away from the woods.
* * * * *
The next morning I took a long needed shower and sat down for some oatmeal. Grandma came into the kitchen and sat down, “So, dear, what will you be doing today?” I shrugged and took a bite of the oatmeal, “I think hanging out with Connor and his friends.” She smiled, “That’s good, they are a good lot.” I nodded, “Yeah, they seem pretty cool.” She smiled her old grandmother smile that held so much love and kissed me on the cheek then went back into her room. After eating I went into Connors room to wake him up.
I shook him gently, “Come on Connor, wake up.” He groaned and pushed me away. I sigh and start poking him. He still didn’t wake up. I stood up and threw my hands up in the air. “You are in possible!” I stock out of the room and to the front door that three knocks had just come from.
“Hi!”
It was Lucas.
“Hey, sorry, Connor is still asleep.”
Lucas stepped inside, “I’m not here for Connor, do you want to go get some coffee?”
I grinned and nodded, “Yeah, uh, just let me go get my jacket and shoes on.” He nodded and closed the door as I went and threw on my shoes and my jacket. I walked back out and saw him still standing by the door. “Alrighty then, let’s go!” I exclaimed happily. He opened the door and out the door!
We walked down the street and into a nice little café. We stood in line and waited for our turn. Then I realized that I had forgotten my wallet. “Oh, hey, I have to go back and get my wallet.” I told him turning. He grabbed my forearm, “Hey, I’ll pay, you probably only have American money anyways. They don’t take credit cards here.” I shrugged. He had a point. Besides, why not let someone buy my coffee, especially a really cute guy.
With our coffee in hand we took a window seat. Lucas looked at me with a smile, “So, Evie, I was wondering if you wanted a tour around Shillelagh.” I chuckle, “Actually, I know my way around here pretty well, I used to always come here when I was little with my family. But if you need an excuse to hang out with me all you have to do is say so.” I tell him with confidence. His eyes widen and he blushes. Oh, wow. I didn’t think I would be able to make him blush. “Well then, shall we hang out?” he asked with a laugh. “Why Lucas, I believe we already are!” I proclaim. He looked around, “I think you may be onto something Evie.”
We sat there talking for awhile until someone pulled a chair up to our table. It was a pretty girl with gorgeous red hair and brown eyes with freckles adorning her face. She was wearing a nice green jacket over a white blouse.
“Oh, Julie, hi.”
So this was Julie. I smile at her, “Hi, I’m-.”
“You’re Evie right,” she stuck a small hand out, “I’m Julie. It’s wonderful to meet you! Now I can hang out with someone other than this caveman.” She joked thrusting a thumb at Lucas. Lucas put his hand on his chest, “I am wounded Julie.” I shake my head, “I don’t know, he’s not that bad.” Lucas beamed at me and faked wiping a tear away from his eye. “Why, that is the nicest thing someone’s ever said to me.” Julie shook her head, “You’re an idiot.”
* * * * *
A week later we, being me, Lucas, Connor, Julie, Emmet, Max and Valerie, who was a very nice long black haired girl, were all gathered in the local pub sharing a few lagers and laughing. For the past week we had gone to Dublin too shop around, Skype with my friends back home, and go on a two day ghost tour in Galway. Yeah, I’ve been pretty busy. So now, after a long week we were all sitting and enjoying ourselves. Lucas and I were talking about he and I going to cinema, as he called it, when a man dressed in all white and white skin with hair as white as snow came up to our table. He locked eyes with me and I gasped, his eyes were black! Absolutely no color except for the whites of the eyes. “Hello.” The man said softly.
We all stopped laughing and looked at him. He held a piece of paper out, “There is a small party in Tomnafinnoge tonight at twelve o’ clock-.” I cut him off, “No thank you.” He looked at me then, “It’s going to be much fun. Dancing, music.” I shake my head, “I said no thank-.” Connor cut me off, “You will have to forgive her, she’s frightened of the woods. She’s certain the evil ol’ faerie king live in there.” I roll my eyes and lean into Lucas. The man shrugged, “No faerie king in there. Just music and dancing. Come.” His voice was so haunting, so smooth and calm. So sure of itself. Valerie spoke up, “Will there be lager?” The man nodded, “The sweetest drinks you will ever taste.” Valerie smiled. I shook my head, “I still don’t think-.” Emmet, who has been talking more and more, cut me off, “It’ll be fine Evie.” I frown. I didn’t want to go. Max spoke then, “What better way to finish an exciting week than by a small party in the woods!” Everyone cheered and clapped.
The pale man, the pale handsome man, looked at me, “Yes, very small, very,” He paused, looking for the correct word, “intimate.” I gulped. This man was making me very uncomfortable, something was off about him. He just wasn’t right.
“So, shall we be expecting you?” He asked looking around at the group.
“How are we to get there?” asked Lucas.
The man handed him the piece of paper. “The directions.”
Everyone leaned over to look at the piece of paper. When we looked back up he was gone. “Spooky.” Emmet said with a laugh. “What time is it now?” question Valerie. I looked up at the clock on the wall. “It’s eleven-forty now.” I tell her. Everyone began gathering their things, “Then we better get going.” Max suggested. I chewed my bottom lip as I was ushered out of the booth. No matter what I say, majority rule. We are going.
* * * * *
We followed the directions on the paper. It led us close to Connor’s and my grandparent’s home, and up to the woods. Then it said to follow the lights on the path. We all scratched our heads. There was no path into the woods anywhere near the house. We looked around and suddenly, to the right of us, right behind our house, a light appeared. We all looked at one another, exchanged confused glances and then stepped into the illuminated pathway that was never there before.
We walked and walked until we heard a soft humming sound. As we got closer it turned out to be some woodwind instrument. We walked up to a blind patch in the middle of the woods. There were girls and men dancing around in a circle, everyone was wearing white and throwing flowers around. One of them caught sight of us and danced towards us. She was tall, slender and white; her hair was long, flowing past her waist. A crown of garland, and flowers were on her delicate head. She danced to us and took Lucas’ and Max’ hands and pulled them gently towards the center of the circle. She came back, did the same with Emmet and Julie, then Valerie and Connor. Then she danced towards me and reached for me.
I pulled away. She stopped dancing. Her face hardened, then she spoke. She spoke a foreign language, it sounded like it could be Gaelic, but I wasn’t sure. She reached for my hand again, this time I let her take it and lead me into the circle. The danced around us merrily and started singing.
All of a sudden a ringing sound started in my ear, a pain was creeping into my mind. I felt heavy. The lights around us became too bright for my eyes. The sound became louder. I squeezed my eyes shut and covered my ears. My body began trembling, the white behind my eyelids started turning black. Everything felt like it was spinning. I fell to the ground and everything went black.
♠ ♠ ♠
Stranger- VersaEmerge