Status: Good As Gold by: The Click Five

When Summer Stole My Heart

Chapter Eight

Dorian swiveled to meet the cold eyes of his brother. “What do you want?”
“So cold, brother, I thought that was my job.” Callum grinned enticingly. Dorian grunted but didn’t reply.
“The Dark Court wishes to recruit me. Did you know that?”
All the snare in Callum’s voice had vanished. Dorian narrowed his eyes, he had been expecting this for awhile now. His brother had been born Unseelie. He would cause problems throughout the castle and even when he was young he’d bother the humans, now he killed them without blinking an eye, kidnapping them just so he could torture them. He often whispered malicious words into human’s ears; some had gone and killed themselves. Occasionally he would tell other’s do horrible things, his greatest achievement? World War II.
“Why are you telling me this?” Dorian questioned, taking a good long look at his brother, the King of the Winter Faeries. Callum hadn’t always been the Winter King; their father was first. Calem had always loved the cold, it ran in his blood, and being the selfish faerie that he was he killed their father, knowing that he would be given the eternal cold that his father bared before him.
Their parents had created and alliance between Summer and Winter, but when their father died so did their mother. When faeries die, so do their mates. So when the Queen of the Summer faeries died Dorian, took her place.
“I thought you may like to know that I am considering what they offer.”
Sneering, Dorian turns from Callum and pours himself a drink, not bothering to offer his brother any. Winter fey were unable to drink or eat anything prepared by Summer fey and vice versa. It was deadly to them. Of course it wasn’t always like this; when their parents had been alive the summer and winter fey were always together drinking and eating made by one another. But when the tragedy of their parents death occurred and Callum and Dorian took their parents place the alliance was severed.
“She’s very pretty, brother; are you planning on keeping her?”
Dorian snarled, “Don’t even speak of her.”
Callum cackled, “Someone’s defensive! She must be very important to you, Dorian.” Dorian didn’t speak. He couldn’t give away how important Evelyn was to him. Callum continued, “There had been rumors, of there being a new Summer Queen.” Dorian didn’t blink, he couldn’t, Callum threw back his head and let out a roar, “Really, Dorian, this isn’t anything like you!”
“I think it is time you leave, Callum.” Spoke Dorian in a grave tone. Callum simpered, bowed his head mockingly and disappeared.
Dorian called for Byron, the head of the Féachnóirí. And the best at finding those who do not wish to be found.
Byron walked into a pacing king. “Your majesty?” he bowed in respect. “Byron, I need you to do me a favor.” Byron nodded, “Of course, sir.”
“Watch over Evelyn, I believe Callum may have an interest in her, as well.”
Bryon dipped his head and began to fade away. Dorian stopped him, “And Byron,”
“Sire?”
“Don’t let her know you are there?”
Byron grinned devilishly, “I haven’t yet, have I?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Féachnóirí- means Watchers