Fragile

Chapter 15

“So Zacky, tell me more about yourself” I spoke after the loud crash of a wave against the beachline passed. We had decided to sit down in a secluded area of the beach where we were still in view of Mr. Haner and his friends.

“Huh?” Zacky mumbled.

“You know? Your life story? Interests? Dislikes?”

“Oh,” he chuckled, “why does all of that matter? I thought this wasn’t a real date?”

“Well, I still want to be your friend, and friends know things about each other. Tell me all of your juicy secrets.”

“Since you asked nicely, I actually vomited all over my Chorus professor in elementary school because I had eaten bad shrimp. Never lived down those days of being called shrimp chucker.”

I giggled, “there is no way that is true. That is too demoralizing.”

“You’re right,” he laughed, “but it did happen to Brian.”

“Are you serious?!” I asked in shock.

“Yeah. Poor guy. Maybe that’s why he is struggling with the ladies,” Zacky joked.

I playfully slapped Zacky’s arm. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Mr. Haner staring at us. His jaw clenched slightly before he jerked his surfboard from the sand and ran out into the ocean. I had definitely plucked a nerve of his, or maybe I was crazy. Either one was a real possibility.

Zacky and I turned to face the ocean and admire its beauty.

I broke the silence after a few moments. “So, has Mr. Haner said anything about me? Like does he even seem remotely interested?”

Zacky glanced at me quickly before turning back to the vastly blue ocean. “Honestly, he hasn’t mentioned you. The only thing he has said was that you and Mary are his students. The only other times we talk about you are when we discuss ‘dates’ we have been on. Even then it’s usually the other guys that seem more interested in that sort of stuff.”

I let out a small sigh and put my head down saying, “I was afraid you would say that.”

Suddenly, Zacky’s arm was around me and I could feel his breath creating goosebumps on my skin. “Don’t take it personally. Who knows what that even means with Brian. He is definitely different than the rest of the guys. Maybe he is interested and just doesn’t know how to show it.”

I looked off into the distant ocean and tried to make out the small shape of Mr. Haner. He was just sitting alone on his board waiting for the next wave to come in. His friends were still sitting on the beach drinking a few beers and talking. Mr. Haner seemed so at peace sitting alone and paddling on his surfboard. Like nothing could break him. I wanted him so bad to be the one with his arm around me right now, not Zacky.

"Zacky,” I spoke, “I need to know how he feels about me. I would be fine if he wasn’t into me, but I just have this gut feeling to try and see how he feels.”

“Do you maybe want me to talk to him? We are supposed to go out with the guys later. Maybe I could casually mention it?”

I looked up at Zacky and smiled. “I would appreciate it.”
♠ ♠ ♠
It has been WAY too long since I have written anything. However, I am back and ready to see where I can take this story. Hope you enjoy and the next chapter will have more plot growth than this one!