Mad Hatter's Tea Party

Changes

Alice had a dream that night, although it was no ordinary dream, as it was her Wonderland.

"Things seem to be changing around here," Alice told the Hatter as he poured her another cup of tea.

"Well, Alice, things around here usually change as you do." Alice shook her head.

"No, not like the forests are expanding, or even the White Queen changing her reign over Wonderland. It's as though everything here is become more real."

"Speaking about the White Queen," the Hatter said once he had put his cup back down, "her rule over Wonderland is changing."

"How, is it for the better, or for the worse?"

"It's hard to say right now," he replied, "but the way things are going, it's looking grim."

"Why?"

"Well," the Hatter began, "as you may already be aware, the White and Red Kingdoms have been at war for some time now. And, well, let's just say that the White Kingdom is at a small disadvantage."

"Small?" Alice sounded unsure, "how small?"

"Well, small enough for the White Queen's best knights to have been brutally murdered with their own weapons while they slept."

"And how do you know of this?"

"News spreads quickly in Wonderland, Alice, no matter how remote you may be."

"So the White Queen may as well be defeated right now?" the Hatter shook his head.

"There is still hope, Alice!"

"How much hope?"

"Just a small slither of hope, but the White Kingdom has prevailed before, after these kinds of things."

"Last time you said small, it was quite big, so I guess I will just have to hope you're exaggerating with the term."

"No exaggeration, Alice, our slither of hope is so very small!"

"He speaks the truth," Alice heard from a place that wasn't too distant, "though he is going mad, that doesn't matter, as we're all truly mad in the end." Alice tried to ignore the cat, pretending he was just a voice in the back of her head and not an actual creature. After all, she was the only one that could hear and see the cat, so it was best to keep him at a distance.

"Is there anything we can do for Wonderland?"

"There is one thing."

"What would that be?"

"To sit back and allow destiny to take it's course." Alice sighed.

"You don't believe in that fate stuff, do you, Hatter?"

"No but, in the end, the White Kingdom shall remain victorious!" Alice heard the Cheshire Cat laugh.

"Does he truly believe that the White Queen is invincible? Everybody's rein must come to an end sooner or later, whether it is their choice or by force."

"Shut up," Alice said as she looked at the cat who, conveniently enough, had places himself on a branch which was positioned just above the Hatter's hat.

"What was that, Alice?"

"Oh, I'm so very sorry Hatter, I did not mean it to you. There is something else that has been tugging at the back of my mind.

"What is it?"

And, instead of allowing Alice to talk, the Cat said, "soon enough it won't just be in your head, but also in front, behind and every single way of you."

"Won't you just leave me alone?" Alice yelled as she jumped up from the table, slamming her fist down and staring at the Cat. "Once again, Hatter, I-" and that was where she fell, leaving Wonderland for home. Well, the one where her family resided, anyway.