Sure as Hell the Happiest I've Ever Been (S/A)

My Friends are a Different Breed

Alex couldn't stop the mischievous grin that spread over his face as he rung the doorbell at his best friend's house. To his chest, he clutched a colorful bag with 'Happy Birthday!' written all over it in different fonts and colors.
After a couple minutes with no reply, Alex rung again, because Jack's car was right there and he knew the boy was either just being lazy or was still asleep.
It took at least five more minutes before the door was finally cracked open, to reveal a Jack clad in plaid boxer shorts and messy hair.
"What the fuck, Alex," the boy said, pinching near the bridge of his over-sized nose and glaring at the older boy.
"Happy Birthday Jacky!" Alex exclaimed, holding the bag in one hand and throwing himself at the boy with his free hand.
"Uh, it's not my birthday Alex," Jack said awkwardly, squirming out of the other boy's grip.
"Yeah, but this is going to take all day and you're busy tomorrow," Alex said, finally releasing Jack and walking into his house.
"Um, what are you talking about?" Jack asked as he followed him into the kitchen.
"Your present, of course! Here," Alex said, madly grinning and thrusting the bag into Jack's hands.
"What's in it?" Jack said dumbly, looking down at the tissue paper that stuck out.
"Are you retarded? Just open it."
"No, just tired," Jack mumbled, and set the bag onto the counter. He reached in, grabbing the paper and throwing it onto the floor. In the bag was a pile of boxes and containers. "What is it?"
"Try reading them," Alex hinted, rolling his eyes as he searched the other boy's fridge. He pulled out a loaf of bread and went to work on making them toast.
"It looks like... hair stuff? Who on earth needs so many hair products?" Jack said gruffly, scanning the bottle of conditioner in front of him.
"Somebody who is going to be bleaching their hair like that person has been talking about doing for like, two years now," Alex said as he grabbed a butter knife from the silverware drawer.
"Are you serious?" Jack said, a slow grin rising on his face.
"Yeah dude! You have no idea how long it took me to figure out what we needed. Like, ten thousand YouTube videos later though, I have it figured out," Alex said proudly.
"...but Alex, my parents won't let me," Jack said, face falling as he nibbled on his bottom lip.
"Well your parents are at work today until your mom gets off at four, and by that time we'll either be done or you'll still have orange hair and she'll want us to finish," Alex said, shrugging.
Jack had to think it over. He didn't like going against his parents, but on the other hand he really wanted this and Alex had gone to so much work putting it all together.
"Alright. A new beginning: sixteen year old Jack is going to be wild, out-of-control Jack. A rebel," Jack said, taking a big bit of the toast Alex handed him while the older boy smirked at him.
Half an hour later, the boys were set up in Jack's parent's bathroom, since it was the master bathroom and they had more room to work. They'd raided the garage and covered all the surface area of the bathroom in old bath towels Jack's dad now used to mop of grease when he worked on the car.
"Lookie here Jack-o, I stole our aluminum foil from my house, so we wouldn't have to use all of yours. See how much I love you?" Alex teased.
"That's true dedication. When you steal your parent's aluminum foil and give it to your friend to dye his hair," Jack confirmed in a mocking tone.
"Oh, shut it. Hmm... so which chunks did you want to do?" Alex said, rubbing his hands together. They'd followed the instructions Alex had printed off the internet, and mixed up a cream with bleach powder and something in a bottle with a big '40' printed on it. Jack thought it'd be better than to question Alex about it, since the boy seemed to know what he was doing and would be offended if Jack started questioning him.
"Well, this is what I was thinking..." Jack said, standing in front of the mirror and pointing and tugging at random stripes of his hair, explaining what he wanted to the older boy.
"Okay, okay, now sit down and let me work my magic, fucker," Alex said a while later, as Jack kept trying to confirm what sections Alex was going to bleach. "And guess what. I got on-the-scalp stuff so even if I get it all over you, your skin wont start burning and bleeding and shit," Alex bragged to the boy, and he ripped off a piece of aluminum foil. "Stop biting your lip Jack, I know what I'm doing."
"Sorry," Jack mumbled, as he felt Alex yanking on a strand of hair. The aluminum foil crinkled loudly in Jack's ear as Alex painted the goop onto his head, before rolling the foil up with a satisfied grin.
"One down."
"How long is this going to take?"
"Well... we'll probably have to bleach it three or four times until all the orange is out and it's yellow, then we use the toner and dye stuff after that... so all day," Alex said, and he worked on another piece.
And take all day it did. They'd put it all in his hair, which took a good forty minutes in itself, then they'd watch a part of a movie for half an hour while it sat, then they'd rinse it. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
Six hours later, a white toner was in his hair and Jack and Alex once again found themselves strewn on Jack's couch watching Gentlemen Broncos. Jack had to remain sitting upright because he didn't want to get anything from his head on the couch, but Alex was sprawled out on it, his feet sitting comfortably in Jack's lap.
"So, am I like, the best friend in the world or what?" Alex asked, looking over at Jack. The younger boy looked ridiculous with foil all in his hair, making Alex grin.
"Only if my parents don't kill me," Jack said, sending Alex an accusing glare.
"I'll take the blame. You can tell them I chained you to a chair and did it to you."
"Oh, kinky."
"Shut it you pervert," Alex said, sticking his tongue out at his best friend.
"But, really, thanks for doing all this Lexy. It probably sent you back a whole week's paycheck," Jack told the boy sincerely. Alex worked at a crummy coffee house that paid minimum wage and didn't even give him free coffee.
"It did actually. Only top line products for my Jacky," Alex laughed. Before Jack could respond, the buzzer on Alex's phone went off, signaling them it was time to rinse once again.
Alex popped up off the couch excitedly, and reaching over and pausing the movie. Jack stood after him and they made their way anxiously to the bathroom.
"Hmm... take off your shirt before we take out the foil, else it will get all over it," Alex instructed and Jack did as the boy told him. Before they'd been rinsing his hair in the sink. They both worked on pulling the foil from his hair, when they were done chunks of Jack's hair looked like it was covered in vanilla pudding.
Jack removed the rest of his clothing as Alex searched the counters for the special conditioner and shampoo he'd bought. It proved to be a tough task as they'd made quite the mess today. Goopy foil, spilled ingredients, and wrappers were everywhere.
"Here you go!" Alex said, handing Jack the bottles and slapping his friend's nude butt before running from the bathroom. Jack rolled his eyes, hopping into the shower and trying to make it as quick as possible.
He emerged ten minutes later, towel around his waist and hair dripping around his face. "Well... it has white in it!" he announced.
"Go dry it! I'm dying over here," Alex called from the couch.
"Let me clothe myself first," he rolled his eyes.
Five minutes later, Alex was hovering over Jack as the boy tried to blow-dry his hair.
"Oh my God! Jack!" Alex grinned, running a hand through his friend's hair as he finished.
"Oh, dear Jesus... plug-in a hair straightener, somebody, please," he said, examining his wavy hair. He ended up plugging it in himself, as Alex admired his handy work.
"Did pretty good if I say so myself.. you like it Jack, right?"
"No, I hate it," Jack said, voice thick with sarcasm.
"...you do?" Alex said, eyes going wide and face pulled down into a pout.
"Of course not Lexy," Jack said, rolling his eyes and reached out so his hand rested comfortably against Alex's arm. "I look like a badass mother fucker."
"That you do, Jacky," Alex grinned, his finger were still tangled in a lock of Jack's hair. He pushed a the section behind Jack's ear, and watched as Jack tried to follow the movement with his eyes.
Before Alex could chicken out yet again, he followed what his heart was constantly telling him to do. He went up on his tippy toes, pressing his lips against Jack's in a sweet kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
Disclaimer: I don't own these boys, I'm just borrowing them for a while. Title goes to All Time Low.
It really is indented. For some reason it just isn't showing up... so sorry. I know it is annoying.
I have zero tolerance for silent readers. Comment or wake up with no anus.