The Storm

1

My feet move to the rhythm of the insanity encapsulating my mind, shuffling awkwardly in their lack of use and yet powerfully along the well-trodden path down the household stairs. I'm sure the muffle of sound bombarding my senses from all around was a series of voices, a great heat wave of watery, disgusting voices. They could have been tones of encouragement, but my brow furrowed and I moved closer and closer to the patio doors, aching from the feeling of being trapped by even the words that spill out of their poisonous mouths. My hands grasp the cool metal handles.

And then it stopped.

The world and the time that allowed it to move in synchronous harmony to keep my sanity locked away just stopped for the briefest of moments. The rain hurling itself towards the ground in a pitiful display of no longer being able to cling on to the skies hung in mid-air as I looked around. And for the first time in several years I smiled.

But my face wasn't used to such a thing. It ached quickly and brought me back down, the water falling from the sky picking up speed and throwing its weight on the ground once more. I slammed the doors behind me and ran, arms wide through the garden. The rain knew me. The rain accepted me. The thunderous roar of the sky threw out the heat of the world and cooled my head. I laid on the grass and faced my new friend face on, the water pounding at my face in a glorious moment of triumph. I giggled. I laughed and giggled and cried and finally felt the emotion that was longing to be found.

The sound of a whip cracking throws itself across the air and hits my arm with a tremendous blow. I wail in its general direction and find myself staring at the intruders to my new fortress. The smile swiftly leaves my face and I lift my body onto my knees, fists hanging by my sides, heart pounding and anger racing through my blood. They can't take this away. They can't. This is the moment of my life and I can feel it. Yet here they come, coat in arms and throwing their suffocating cries through the air and infecting it with poison. I cry for the sky. It shouldn't have to bear the same treatment as me and I reluctantly turn my face up to its grand white own and smile sympathetically one last time.

My hand automatically wipes the tears from my face and I rise to my feet. The poor old soles shuffle with less sanity than before as I accept the fate they've brought me with this cruel red jacket. As I reach them I put my hand up to refuse the coat and instead enter the house. I forget what it's like to breathe again and head to my room. Maybe one day, we'll meet again.