Status: done

Griffin.

remembering griffin

I’m the only one standing here.

It’s almost 9:30 and my mom’s going to kill me if I don’t get back.

The wind is crisp and cool, It’s October 10th… Griffin’s Anniversary. I sit down in front of the headstone hugging my knees and pulling my jacket close to me.

“Hey Griff…” I say. “um, it’s Annabelle."

Silence.

Just the sound of the wind blowing the leaves on the ground. I remembered it all so clearly. How and When it happened.. October 10th, 2009 my best friend and crush saved my life, but sacrificed his own. He was only eighteen.

“I can’t believe it’s been a year… but it feels like your still here with me…”

Griffin was a good kid, he always was. Never got mixed up with the wrong crowds, never went to outrageous hook up parties, got drunk or high, All he did was skate. And look after me.
Griffin had always told me I was special to him. Special enough to ditch his friends and hangout with me and pass out on my couch.

I smiled at the thought and twirled a thread of grass between my fingers.
“Remember the first time you kissed me?” I asked “Laying in my backyard just looking up at the stars and watching the clouds..”

His hand had found mine and his fingers had tangled in mine… I remembered how red my face had turned a bright shade of crimson..

I had looked him in those big green eyes and he told me… that he loved me.

Tears began to well up in my eyes at the thought, Everyday since it’s replayed over and over again in my head. I’ll never forget how sweet his kisses were, Sour. The Sweet, just like a Sour Patch Kid, I loved it. After he kissed me, he promised he’d always be here for me. He promised me he would never leave me, But he took you away from me… It should have been me!

I gripped the dying grass tightly as a sob escaped from my lips, I was losing it.

“You had to be a hero Griffin?! You should have let him shoot me… you would still be alive…”

When the man had shot Griffin… I was terrified. I knew something wouldn’t turn out right. I held him close to me. Putting pressure on the wound.. It was right through his chest, right near his lungs.. And his heart. I could hear the faint sound of sirens racing approaching. I was already drenched in his blood. He was choking and gasping for air..

"Anna… Promise me something..”
"Griffin.. NO NO stop talking like this! You’re going to be okay! The ambulance it’s coming! You’re going to make it !”

He had this little smile on his face, he took my hand in his and touched my cheek lightly.
“You’re so beautiful Annabelle… Promise me.. You’ll be strong.. Promise.”

I shook my head no tears pouring down like Niagara Falls.

He squeezed my hand lightly and he started to wheeze. He had let out such a horrible cough that had made my heart sink.

“Promise…”

“I Promise..”

It had come out in a whisper, but it was loud enough for him to hear, cause he was smiling.

“I love you Annabelle…” I gripped his hand tighter, Please God, I thought Don’t take him from me… I need him.

“I love you too Griffin…”

Griffin’s eyes fluttered and closed really slowly and his grip on my hand loosened…
He was Gone.

The sun was setting.

I got to my feet dusting off my jeans and coat. Because of Griffin, I’m more confident and brave, Griffin had always told me to stand up for what I believe in, Because of Griffin I’m a different person.

“Griffin, I miss you… And I love you. I always will. I’ll be back soon. I promise.”

When I was walking back to my car I couldn’t help but smile.. I heard his voice.. For the first time in a long time..

‘I love you Annabelle.. I miss you more than anything.’
♠ ♠ ♠
this is one of my best short storiess one of the last where i kill the character <3