Day Is Darkest

Éowyn

Pulling my hair back, I felt the blue sleeves of my gown fall back over my arms. It was a rare time when I found myself alone and away from the people who clamored for my attention. They all needed me but that was what made their attentions so terrible. Because of their need, I could not turn them away. I had never had that callous a heart though there had been many times when I had wished, hoped even for such a thing to pass.

My hands fell to my sides as soon as the leather thong had secured my hair and I looked towards the window. Life had once seemed so very simple compared to what it was now. Now I almost did not recognize the mess that my family had become. My cousin, at times, seemed to be the only sane one left to me. And even he was growing distant in a way that I resented. I wanted to hate the girl who was stealing him, but I couldn't. My mind could not allow me to hate her. She had saved one of the people that I cared most about in the world and for that I owed her my life.

A knock on the door had me turning to see my brother slipping into the room and I couldn't help but smile at the sight of him. "You look tired," he said causing a flush to rise in my cheeks. My brother had always had a way of seeing through all of my defenses. I wasn't sure where he had gotten that skill, but I had sorely wished that he would learn to keep such opinions to himself.

"I am quite well brother," I insisted thrusting my chin in the air. "And why shouldn't I be? I care for our uncle. I keep a fine home. What more could I want?" My brother snorted and I turned a hard eye on him. He knew I had no love for the simple life of a wife. He also knew that I would not give up the responsibilities when they were put before me.

"Have you seen our dear cousin?" he asked arching an eyebrow. "I looked for him earlier, but his men could not say where he was."

I arched an eyebrow and almost laughed at my brother's question. Instead I allowed a smile to touch my lips. "And did you not care to check any chambers?" As soon as I said the words, I could feel guilt twist my stomach for being so crude. I had no right. "Or perhaps you should learn patience," I corrected quickly. "He'll be out for supper as with every day," I promised him with a curt nod.

I waited, my stomach twisted in knots so tight I could barely breath for Éomer to say something, anything really.

"As you wish sister," my brother granted resting a hand on my shoulder for a moment before he moved away. "I shall see you both at supper," he assured me before turning away and leaving me alone in the small chamber I called my refuge.