Summer Holds Such Wonderful Things

011

“It was the same day I left you guys at the airport. I got home and there was a car parked in my driveway. Anyway, it turned out to be my psycho ex, Trey. I hadn’t seen him since the day of my parent’s funeral. He and I were perfect until one night he came over drunk. That was the first day he hit me.” Zack hit the brakes and pulled off the road.

“What!?”

“Just listen.” I said clamping my hand over his mouth. “It got worse after that. He would go out with his mates and get drunk then come home and take it out on me. I never had the guts to leave him. I didn’t want to find out what he was capable of. So, I stuck it out. Then, one day I got the nerve and I left him.”

Zack pushed my hand away before speaking. “That was it?” He asked gripping the steering wheel so hard his knuckles were white.

“Not exactly,” I said quietly staring down at my shoes. “He called every day and left me weird messages when I wouldn’t answer. He even came into the little supermarket I worked in. Then, one day he just stopped. I figured he got bored or found someone else. I never saw him again until that day. Jason, my neighbour was moving in across the road at the time. He heard me and Trey arguing. Then he saw Trey hit me.”

“He hit you?” I nodded. “Again.”

I put a hand on his arm. “Calm down.” I said. “Jason came over and scared Trey away and since then Jason has been my rock. But, it’s over now, okay?”

Zack just nodded. He was too riled up to reply. He started the car again and pulled out onto the road. It was quiet for a while before Zack spoke again.

“Why didn’t you tell me sooner?”

“I didn’t want you to worry.” I replied. “Changing the subject, where are we going?”

“The mall, Christmas shopping.” He sighed. I could tell he was upset that I didn’t tell him sooner. A wave of guilt washed over me. Oh, damn, why didn’t I tell him sooner?

“The shops will be packed.” I said. We got to the mall and had to park on the street. I hadn’t noticed before but it had started snowing.

“I’ve always wanted a white Christmas!” I smiled.

“Well, think of this as your lucky week.” Zack laughed.

“Lucky indeed,” I smiled a snowflake melting on my nose.
-----
As we weaved our way through the crowd Zack had hold of me the whole time, never letting me go. I was afraid I would get lost among all these people. Out of the corner of my eye I could see someone in the distance coming toward us.

“Zack.” I said pulling him to me. “Zack!”

“What? What’s wrong?” He asked.

“Is that Jack?” He stood on his tip-toes and scanned the crowd.

“No. We’re safe.” He said and pulled me along. That was close. If that was Jack we’d be so screwed. The surprise would be completely ruined.

Zack and I walked around for a while until the crowd died down. We eventually got everything we needed. I didn’t buy anything for Jack because I was his present. Oh, this was going to be so good.

I kicked off my shoes and walked inside. Alex was sitting on the couch watching TV. I flopped down next to him.

“Hey.” He smiled turning toward me.

“Hey.” I said stretching out. I was so exhausted from the day’s events.

“Have fun?” He asked. I laid my head on the back of the couch.

“I’m so exhausted.” I sighed. “Have you seen how packed the shops are lately?”

“Oh, yeah,” He laughed.

“Shut up.”

“Dinner’s ready!” Lisa called. Alex and I both jumped up and raced to the kitchen.

“Smells amazing, babe,” Alex smiled kissing Lisa on the cheek.

“Thank you.” We each grabbed a plate and sat at the table. Lisa had made a lasagne and salad.

Dinner went by without a hitch. We mostly talked about Christmas and how excited we were.

“That was so good.” I said as I helped Lisa wash up.

“Thanks.” She laughed. “Someone has to cook around here.”

“Hey! I cook.” She’d said it loud enough for Alex to hear.

“Oh, really?” Lisa asked flicking him with the bubbles from the sink. “What?”

“Noodles.” Lisa and I burst out laughing. “What?”

“Nothing.” We both said. We hung out for a while after that just catching up.

“Okay, well, I’m off to bed guys.” I yawned as I stood up from the couch.

“But, it’s still early.” Alex whined. I looked at the clock.

“Alex, its 1 am.”

“So?” I rolled my eyes and headed up stairs.

I was so excited that night that I tossed and turned. I couldn’t wait for tomorrow. I was having Christmas in Maryland with the most amazing people ever. What more could I ask for? I knew I wouldn’t get much sleep. Not like this.

It was about 3 am when I eventually fell asleep.

“GET UP!” Someone yelled. I groaned pulling the covers over my head. “Dude, it’s 2 in the afternoon.” Alex. “Get up!” He yelled sitting on me.

“NO!”

“Jack will be here in-” Alex cracked up as I sat upright. “3 hours.”

I jumped out of bed and grabbed what I was going to be wearing. Looking perfect was a must.

“And, she’s up.” He chuckled. “I thought that would get you up.”

“Well it worked.” I said, the sarcasm dripping from my voice. “You can go now.”

“Oooh, feisty,” He grinned and tussled my hair before walking out the door.

Alex and Lisa had organised a nice Christmas dinner for the seven of us. We would have dinner, exchange presents and have dessert. It was going to be awesome.

I showered and dried my hair, I didn’t want to straighten it, my natural waves would work tonight, and then I put on the dress and cardigan I was going to be wearing. It was a strapless leopard print dress with a waterfall ruffle down one side. It looked amazing, thanks to Zack, who helped me pick it.

“Lisa!”

“Yeah?” She asked coming into the bathroom.

“Can you zip me up?” I asked.

“Sure.” She smiled.

“Thanks.”

“You look amazing.”

“You think so?”

“Definitely, Jack will be so stoked when he sees you.”

That was when I started to feel the nerves. What was wrong with me? I’d never flipped out about a guy like this before. Not even Trey. I applied my makeup with a shaky hand and ran my hands through my hair. Once I was done I went downstairs to help Lisa finish dinner. We finished just as the doorbell rang. I stopped breathing.

“Breathe.” Alex smiled rubbing circles in my back with his thumb.

“It’s Zack.” Lisa called.

“You look amazing.” He smiled walking into the kitchen. “I told you that dress hugged your curves perfectly.”

“Dude, are you gay?” Alex laughed.

“Leave him alone.” I scolded. “And thank you Zack. It’s perfect.” We hugged and the doorbell rang for a second time.

This time it would be them. Jack would be walking through that door any second.

Jack.
♠ ♠ ♠
Go here to see Alesha's outfit for this chapter :)
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=33616944

heeey guys, sorry it's been a few day since I uploaded, school has been crazy! but anyways let me know what you think of this one :)