Summer Holds Such Wonderful Things

007

It had been just over a week since the incident with Trey. I was in social isolation, I didn’t want to talk to or see anyone. I had endless amounts of unread emails in my inbox that I hadn’t been bothered reading or replying to. Since that day I had been so paranoid that I didn’t even want to leave the house but I hated being alone.

I rolled out of bed and headed downstairs. I walked into the kitchen and grabbed a packet of Oreos and a jar of peanut butter out of the cupboard and headed back to my room. I grabbed my laptop and got back into bed. I opened up my email inbox and went through the unread messages. I couldn’t believe how many there were and all in a week from all of the guys. I scrolled to the most recent one and opened it up.

From: Alex

Heeey girl,
How’s everything? We haven’t heard from you in a while, are you okay? You haven’t replied to any of our emails... :(

Love
Alex. xx

I hit reply and added all their email addresses into the ‘to’ box.

Hey guys,

Sorry for the late reply. My internet was down for a while, so I couldn’t reply. But everything is good. How’s everything with the band and stuff?

Alesha x

It was all a lie. I couldn’t believe I hadn’t told them. This was something I just wanted to keep for myself. I couldn’t tell them because they would want to do something about it. I couldn’t deal with any of them getting hurt.

I pushed away my laptop in frustration and curled up under my doona. I lay in bed for what felt like hours just thinking over everything; my parents, Trey, meeting All Time Low. A tear slid down my cheek and I slowly drifted off into a deep sleep.

I tossed and turned as images of past events flashed through my mind. The first time Trey hit me, the last time Trey hit me and the other day when he showed up here, at my house. Then it flashed to the All Time Low show where I met the band. This was all so confusing. Then there was a loud knocking. It got faster and harder.

I jolted awake to find the knocking sound was coming from downstairs. Who would be coming to see me? I made my way downstairs not caring how I looked. I opened the front door to find Jason standing on the front porch.

“Did I wake you up?” He asked stepping closer to me.

“Can’t you tell?” I said smiling. “Come in. It’s freezing out there.”

“Thanks.” He smiled stepping inside. I quickly shut the front door.

“Make yourself at home. I’ll be back in a sec.” I said and headed for the stairs.

I ran to the bathroom and splashed my face with water and tied my hair back. I quickly threw on a pair of jeans, a t-shirt and a hoodie. I went back downstairs to find Jason watching the TV. I sat down beside him and stared absently at the TV. I could feel Jason’s eyes on me. I turned to look at him. He just smiled.

“So...” I started.

“Oh, right. I was just wondering whether you wanted to go out with me.” He said.

“Go out?”

“Yeah, as friends, you know?”

“Oh, yeah, sure. What did you have in mind?” I asked.

“Uh, I don’t really know.” He laughed.

“Fair enough. Well let’s go and we’ll see where the road takes us.” I smiled getting up and helping him up too. We headed across the street to his house where his car was parked.

“Hop in.” He said. “I’ll be back in a sec.” Jason unlocked his car and ran inside. I got into the passenger seat and did up my seat belt just as Jason came back outside and got in the driver’s seat.

“Hungry?” He asked.

“Definitely.”

We drove around for a bit looking for a nice cafe or something to have lunch. We eventually found one. Once we were seated inside I grabbed the menu and began scanning the list. Just then a waitress came over.

“What can I get you?” She asked.

“Uh, I’ll have the double cheeseburger and fries with a large chocolate milkshake.” I said. Jason just looked at me.

“I’ll get the same.” He said waving away the waitress.

“What?” I said.

“You can eat all that?” He asked.

“Sure can.” I smiled. I don’t know what it was about Jason but I felt comfortable around him, like I could just be myself.

“So, tell me all about yourself.” I gulped. I didn’t want to tell him about my depressing, boring life.

“Well, umm, well-” The waitress came back with our food then. Yes! Saved. I grabbed a fry and popped it in my mouth. “You first.” I said.

“Okay, well, I’m 21 and single. I just moved here from Sydney. I moved out of home when I was 17 because my mum was a drunk and my dad took off when I was 12. I have two brothers, both are older than me. I think that’s pretty much it.” Wow. I took a sip of my drink. He really meant everything. “It’s your turn.” He said taking a bite of his burger.

“Well, I’m 20 and single and not really looking for a relationship. About two years ago my dad died of a drug overdose, a few months later I found my mum dead on the bathroom floor, she suicided.” Jason’s face fell. I continued. “I’m an only child and you know about Trey. After everything that happened I pushed all my friends and family away. I just couldn’t handle it. I’ve been by myself ever since. ” I finished.

“Wow.” Was all he could say. “I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t worry about it.” I said. “It’s their fault.”

We finished our food, paid and left. We drove around for a bit longer and then went home.

“Well, thanks for today.” I said.

“No problem.” He smiled. “Remember I’m just across the street if you need me.”

“I will.” I smiled. Jason turned to walk back across the street. “Wait.”

“Yeah?” He turned around. I walked over and wrapped my arms around his middle. He returned the hug.

“Thanks.” I said again. I turned and walked inside.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry it's late, i'm just not motivated to do anything at the moment.
let me know what you think! :)