Status: Complete

Pure-Blood? I'm B Positive

The Journey

It was morning, the birds outside were singing as usual and the street below was silent and empty. Today was the day. The day I left this dull room, that i'd grown to love. The day I left the kind young man who told me he was a doctor. I wasn't sure if I wanted this day to come, but now it's here - I have no choice. It was still quite dark, so I could tell it was only just reaching dawn, yet I couldn't close my eyes and sleep. For a moment, I laid there, worrying about sitting alone on the train, worrying about what house i'd be in, worrying about if my lessons at Hogwarts would be anything like the lessons I had in the muggle world. immersed in my thoughts, I was unaware of the time ticking and the world outside becoming more alive. It was 7:30. I kicked the covers off and looked over to Neville bed, he was still slumberous. I slowly, and quietly got out of bed and began to get myself ready, by 8 I was done, and Neville was still sleeping.
"Neville..." I whispered, I wanted to wake him, but at the same time he looked so peaceful and I didn't want to disturb that, it wasn't often he looked peaceful.
"Neville. You need to wake up." Again, there was no response, he slept on. I touched his bare shoulder, which was warm to the touch and gently shook the sleeping beauty.
"Wakey wakey. Neville, get up." I giggled as Neville seemed to squirm under his covers and finally wake.
"I'm awake." He mumbled as he opened his eyes and stretched, showing how tired he still was.
"What time were you up packing until" I looked around at the various boxes and trunks dotted around the room.
"Around midnight, I lost track of time." Neville walked over to the bathroom like a zombie in order to perform his morning ritual.
"I'll go get us breakfast!" I shouted through the door then headed out of our room at the Leaky Cauldron in order to find some food. I'd jut got down the stairs when I realised I had no money, running back upstairs I grabbed a few sickles that were laying on the desk, and began my mission once more, hopefully this time I will be more successful.

I returned with two sausage sarnies and two pumpkin pasties. I was gone a good 15 minutes and still Neville was in the bathroom, I placed the food on the desk and sat myself on Neville's bed, which was still slightly warm from Neville sleeping in it.
"Hurry up, you've been in there ages. The food will be getting cold!" I shouted through the door, I heard the door unlock and Neville stood, in his usual attire - grey slacks and a questionable cardigan - although his clothes were clean, his unkempt facial hair made me unable to see him as Professor Longbottom.
"Pumpkin Pasties? For breakfast" I shrugged as he bit into the sandwich and began eating, we sat in silence eating the now cold breakfast. We were ready before 9 and thus set off into London with our trunks.
"This is your ticket, make sure you keep it safe." Neville passed me a train ticket, I almost didn't believe what i was seeing.
"Platform 9 and 3/4, I've been to Kings Cross Station before - there is no such thing." I handed Neville the ticket back and he simply scoffed.
"Not for Muggles."
"How am I supposed to find it, Neville!" I was panicing, I didn't want to not be able to get the train due to my lack of knowledge.
"Stop worrying. I'll take you onto the platform, then leave." Neville took my trunk and put it onto a trolley once we entered the station. I nodded and took the trolley, pushing it through the massive train station that was filled with people in suits carrying cases, heading to work. Families giggling boarding trains to go on holiday, no wizards of witches as of yet.
We walked down platform 9, and I still searched for Platform 9 3/4, unable to find it.
"Neville, will you please tell me what is going on?" He laughed at me and stopped in front of a barrier between platform 9 and 10.
"We're here." Neville winked, grabbed my hand and dragged me into the brick-wall. I closed my eyes; bracing myself for a painful stop, but it never came. I opened my eyes, and saw a whole new platform, the train wasn't there yet, it was just me and Neville and a sign post that read 'Platform 9 3/4'.
"Wow, this is.."
"Magic." Neville nudged me and as we both stared at the empty platform, which was surreal to say we were in Kings Cross.
"I'm gonna head off now, will you be okay on your own?" Neville put his hand on my shoulder, this will be the first time we're properly left each other ever since we first met. I wasn't ready.
"I'll be fine, don't worry about me. Have a safe journey." I smiled at Neville and turned to watch him disappear through the barrier, back onto platform 9 and 10. I was alone, truly alone. Not even a bird fluttered by as I sat on my trunk admiring the platform. And hour passed and I could vaguely here the sound of a train on the tracks up ahead, after a few moments of the platform vibrating an old steam train appeared in the distance. Scarlet with gold lettering, it was beautiful.
'So this is my ride?' I thought to myself, still I was the only person here. It had just got quart past 10 as the train pulled into the station. I stood up and took my trunk on the train and got a seat. (I had a lot of choice) Getting comfortable I watched out of the window as teenagers gradually began to appear through the wall and run to the train with their trunks and owls. Parents hugged their children and saying goodbye, there were tears, and smiles as children met their friends on the platform and scrambled aboard to find a remaining compartment to sit it, again I was alone in mine.

The time quickly passed as I people watched, the train smoothly left the station and towns and houses soon became fields and greenery. It was peaceful, so peaceful I feel asleep once or twice. The door to my compartment opened, I looked up. A girl who was about the same age as me, with tanned skin and blonde hair which was up in a messy bun was stood in the entrance.
"Do you mind if I sit here, I've been trying to find somewhere for ages but it seems everywhere else is full." She smiled, so I nodded and she came to sit down. I looked at her, she dressed quite smart, and although her hair was a mess, she seemed to care about her appearance, sporting a tightly fitted top and jeans that seemed were made just for her. She looked at me, wearing my old skinny jeans, a vest top and cardigan (not Nevilles). I expected her to be disgusted by my boyish style and lack of make-up, but she continued to smile.
"I'm Araina." I spoke first. She nodded and pointed to herself.
"I'm Isobel. What year are you in?"
"Uhh, this may sound stupid, but I'm not sure - This is my first year." I smiled nervously, I wasn't used to these sort of situations.
"Oh! Well you'll love it here, it's great!" She seemed really enthusiastic.
"I'm in Ravenclaw, sixth year." I nodded as she explained how her mother is muggle born, which made it easier for me since I didn't know I was a witch until a month ago. I explained how they didn't know I was a witch because I was an orphan, but didn't share much more, dreading when she would ask me what my last name was. The train ride, even though it took until the late evening, seemed to fly by as we shared taste in music, and as unlikely a pair we may seem, became good friends. Which, I must admit, was a big relief. The wall surrounding me, making me seem invisible was made of paper, and no matter how much I pretend, I can't do everything alone. A friend is what I needed, especially here.

The train began to slow down and the surroundings no longer were a green and blue blur. We were pulling up into Hogsmeade station. I got out and followed Isobel.
"Erm, you'll have to be sorted, so follow the first years." She winked and waved going down a forest path which lead to some carriages where I were able to see in the distance. I began walking in the other direction, feeling like an idiot, surrounded by people who were half my size.
"This way!" We were guided into boats which took us to the castle. The castle was breathtakingly beautiful; the lights, the grandness of it all was like nothing I had ever seen. We approached the entrance to the castle and was lined up, ready to be sorted. I had no idea who I was with, I hadn't seen Isobel since the train stopped and not heard from Neville since we were in London. The rest of the evening seemed to be blur, up until the point I heard my name called. I looked up, and walked to the front of the hall in which the entire school was situated. I sat down on the old stool and the big dusty hat was placed on me, I had no idea what was happening but this wasn't a time to ask questions.
"Interesting..." Apparently this hat spoke!
"Yes I do... Now, which house? I can see into your mind, it is sharp and would do well in Ravenclaw, it is also cunning, and with your family history i'm sure Slytherin will do well for you also. The Bravery you may not possess is compensated by these veins of yours..." The whole room was silent, all eyes on me. All I ever wanted was the blend in, and this hat goes and makes a big speech about me, making that task impossible.
"Slytherin!" Great. I walked down towards one of the four long tables that were situated in the centre of the hall, eyes were still on me as I walked over to the table, sitting next to a small boy with mousy brown hair who seemed quite intimidated by me. The ceremony soon continued and after the first years were sorted food of all kinds appeared on each of the four tables, and on the teachers table and the front of the hall. The noise in the room grew as conversations about holidays and summer sparked, to my relief - eyes were no longer on me. I looked at the teachers table, Neville was sat eating, not really socialising with everybody, he definitely seemed to be the youngest on the table, the only one not having grey hair by the looks of things; I was sat at the end of the Slytherin table, I couldn't see too well. I looked back to the plates of food and decided to eat, with no company and unable to sit with Isobel due to the sorting hats ability to make your years here a living hell, I could tell this was going to be a very dull evening.
"Hi, I'm Meredith." A girl with long thin straight chocolate brown hair and olive skin sat herself beside me.
"Uhm, hi. I'm Araina." I turned back to my food, for some reason this girl looked like she didn't exactly want to be friendly.
"Well, you're new, so I thought I would introduce myself." She grinned through gritted teeth, it seemed bitchy queen be's exist in every high school, magic or muggle.
"That's nice." I really had no time for this girl, and no clue how to talk to her.
"I see you keep looking over to the teachers table, you have a soft spot for Professor Malfoy already? You're not the only one." She took a drink from my goblet and winked at me.
"Professor Malfoy? Who is that?" I looked over to the teachers table and squinted attempting to get a better view.
"The blonde one, he's sat next to Professor Murphy - the woman." She pointed to the left of the table.
"Oh, I see now. What does he teach?" I turned back to her, she was now also eating my food.
"Potions. And Professor Murphy teachers History of Magic, she came last year." I nodded as she went from left to right of all the teachers and what they taught.
"What year are you in?" I hoped she wasn't going to be in any of my classes
"Last year, and I'm telling you - it's going to be a blast!" She giggled in a way that made me cringe. She was exactly the type of person I attempt to stay away from. Fake, conceited and self-centred. I wish I was in Ravenclaw...

The feast finally ended and I followed the rest of the Slytherins down into our common room which was located in the dungeons, giving it a dark and secluded feel. The common room itself however was decorated with the most beautiful shades of jade and emerald green, leather sofas and arm chairs, an old fire with a onyx fireplace. I was lead up a small staircase to find the girls dormitories, which were relatively free of people. My trunk was sat at the bottom of a four poster bed which had covers and curtains that matched the common room decorations. Slytherin robes were laid across the trunk, folded neatly - I'm guessing they were mine. There were two other beds with two other trunks sad at the end of them. Room-mates, great. However much I wanted to stay away from the loud crowd which had filled the common room, it was too early to sleep and I had nothing else to do. Venturing down the stair case I managed to sneak past groups of people chatting and laughing and found a chair out of the way where I was able to sit and read. That was the plan anyway...
"Tales of Beedle the Bard. That's a kids book." I stopped focusing on the words on the page and looked up, a pair of familiar eyes glared back at me.
"Keeran. It's nice to see a friendly face." I closed the book as he pulled up a chair beside me and however friendly he acted something in me told me this wasn't him.
"How you liking it here so far?" Keeran smiled, curling the edges of his pale lips - but his eyes remained stern.
"it's, different to anything I've ever seen before. It's beautiful. I just wish..." I stopped, I didn't know what I wished.
"That you knew more people?" Keeran budged closer to me suddenly, as if he was going to whisper something, yet he said nothing.
"I guess. I'm not much of a socialiser."
"Me neither, it won't be so hard adjusting - trust me. A few weeks, and you'll be calling it home."
"Y'know, you're not the first person to have told me that. I hope you're right; I've never had a home." My life before Neville came rushing to the surface, all the secrets, being anonymous. I smiled at Keeran encouragingly as I saw the expression on his face change as I got lost in thought.
"I'm here for you. If you need, anything. A friend, a tour guide... a shoulder. I'm here." For the first time the words Keeran said seemed like the truth, something I've been deprived of all my life. Maybe I was wrong about Keeran, my insecurities and inability to trust people might be making me paranoid. He was a nice guy, he's done nothing wrong to me. I smiled at him.
"Thankyou, I really appreciate it." He stood up and walked up into the boys dormitories.
"Was that Keeran I just saw leaving?" Was it impossible for me to get some peace around here?
"Yes Meredith, why?" I turned to face her and she seemed disgusted at the thought.
"I know he's totally hot and everything, but he's weird. Seriously Araina, he has like no friends and just sulks around brooding all the time - total loner. You start talking to him and you'll go the same way." she raised her eyebrows and left. Maybe me and Keeran had more in common than I thought...
♠ ♠ ♠
Thankyou for reading, I hope this chapter is awesome, i loved writing it.
I'll hopefully be posting again soon and thankyou to all of my readers and subscribers, I love you all, you're brilliant :D
ALSOOO! Pottermore?!?!?! Who else managed to get registered, I was too excited :')