Status: Complete

Pure-Blood? I'm B Positive

Amortentia

Another weekend had passed and it was back to the normal routine of lessons and homework - although we're not at home, so I guess it's just school work. The air however, seemed more crisp and cold than before; exiting the castle left our fingers numb, winter was coming. Snow was yet to fall but with the white sky above and the cold temperatures leaving us craving for firewhiskey and soup we knew it was just a matter of time before the first snow flake touched the ground.
"I hate this cold weather, do you know how many layers I have to put on if I have a Care of Magical Creatures lesson? I'm running out of socks and jumpers." Isobel opened the top of her robe to reveal several knitted cardigans and jumpers in-between her school shirt and jumper.
"It's the same for everybody Is, you just have to deal with it. Spring will be along in no time." We hurried along to the greenhouses, with our scarf’s dancing in the wind behind us as the icy winds picked up and made us breathless.
"Personally, I can't wait to get home - I imagine it'll be a bit warmer down south. Oh, that reminds me, what are you doing for Christmas break?" Isobel re-wrapped her scarf around her neck as we reached the door to greenhouse two, waiting upon our Professor to open the door and let us in.
"Well, uh I've never really thought about it. I suppose I'll have to stay here, I'm kind of homeless..."
"I thought you had been staying with Professor Longbottom."
"Shh! We were staying in the leaky cauldron - not his house. I doubt he's gonna pack me in his suitcase and take me with him."
"Hmmm." Isobel tilted her head to the side. For the first time I eagerly awaiting the opening of the door in order to get indoors, my nose was dripping and my feet and hands were entirely numb.
"Well, I could send owl to my parents. Ask them if you can stay with us." Isobel suggested this with an enthusiastic voice yet her eyes seemed to not hold the same desire.
"I uhm, It's fine. You don't need to go to any trouble. I'll just stay here - it'll be nice to have the common room pretty much to myself." I gave an encouraging smile toward Isobel who was hiding her face behind her Herbology book.

The door opened with a creak and we were in. Small flames were dotted around the room (well away from any plants) keeping the small greenhouse relatively warmer than the outdoors. Isobel and I welcomed the heat and immediately began to unravel the long scarf’s we had around our necks. Sitting down in our usual spots we put down our books and awaited for the remainder of the students to arrive in order to start another week of lessons. The lesson awkwardly drolled on as ever, although I must admit it was getting easier. The constant worry I was going to get kicked out for something I didn't even do because the Ministry are scared and need someone to blame meant that Neville was at the bottom of my list of priorities; but he was still on it. I just couldn't grasp how he made it all seem so easy, did he just forget everything that happened in the summer weeks? I mean, I know he doesn't feel the same way about me but we were friends, at least I thought we were. There was nothing wrong about us being friends, it wasn't harming anybody; and Neville blocking me out and pretending i'm another nameless student was hurting me. There I said it, I'm emotionally wounded. The truth is, I didn't know if I should be angry or upset; I didn't even know if I had the right to feel anything, maybe I was blowing this all out of proportion? Knowing me, I probably am being a tad dramatic, like not Isobel dramatic, but dramatic all the same. With a blink of an eye class was over, the flames were out and people were packing their things away.
"Potions next, have you finished your potion? It's supposed to be ready this period." Isobel raised her left eyebrow.
"Do I ever hand any work in late? Just because you haven't seen me working on it doesn't mean I haven't done it." I threw my satchel over my shoulder and set off down to potions, meeting Meredith along the way.
"So, what potion did you make?" Isobel's question was for Meredith who clearly had done a simple potion that would take less than an hour to brew - Isobel was transparent, using this to brag about whatever complex elixir she had conjured up.
"Uhh, I forgot the name. The one that makes you sleepy."
"A sleeping draught?" Isobel's look on her face said it all.
"Yea, that one." Meredith seemed to not notice, or just not care. Isobel was still itching to share the potion she was making with Meredith and as neither myself or Meredith asked the questioned she turned very silent all the way until we reached the dungeons where the Potions classroom was situated - that's a long walk.

"Good morning sixth years, I hope all of you are ready with your prepared potions. I'm really excited to see them, I want to be blown away - but only figuratively!" Professor Malfoy gave one of his signature smirks and rubbed his hands together.
"Who wants to go first?" Professor Malfoys grey eyes were set on the table me, Isobel and Meredith were situated at. Isobel was about to open her mouth and volunteer when-
"I don't mind going first." Meredith beat her too it.
"Sure, Miss Stoker." Professor Malfoy nodded before making his way closer to the table. Meredith revealed her small copper cauldron that was half full with a dull very viscous liquid which, if I know Meredith (and I do) was made by somebody else.
"A simple sleeping draught, by the looks of things it has been made exactly to specifications - however, the same results can be created by listening to one of Professor Binns lectures." Malfoy grinned to himself, as did most of the class, I seemed to be the only one not in on the joke.
"W-who is Professor Binns?" I directed the question to Isobel, in a whisper.
"He was the old History of Magic teacher, he was a ghost - but last year at his death day party one of his old friends turned up and apparently they're traveling around the world visiting all the famous wizard historical landmarks." Isobel whispered back but her eyes were still focused on Professor Malfoy who was now inspecting another students potion.
"Araina, why don't we have a look at yours?" I sighed as the room went silent.
"I guess." I huffed and lifted the lid off of my cauldron and the smell of soil and earth hit me, once that had subsided the smell of old books filled my nostrils.
"Amortentia?" Professor Malfoy nodded with approval.
"The strongest love potion in the world, It's one of the few potions I haven't attempted making yet, or at least read about in-depth - so I thought I'd try it." this was my poor attempt at giving reason to why I chose such an infamous potion. Merediths eyes lit up as I spoke, her mouth slowly opened.
"Hmmm, I would test it, but if it works as well as it looks then it may cause a bit of embarrassment." Professor Malfoy turned to face the entire class.
"Amortentia is, as Araina said - the strongest love potion in the world, of course it only creates an unhealthy obsession, but still very dangerous. And for that reason..." Professor Malfoy flicked his wand at the cauldron and as the blue spark landed on the surface of the dark liquid it simply drained out of the cauldron - the potion, was gone. The class looked on in awe, we were all aware that Professor Malfoy was a skilled wizard but, to perform a spell with such style and suavity made it seem all the more impressive. I turned to look at Isobel, who wore a stern expression and had her arms crossed. I sighed and shook my head; I was beginning to get tired of this crush she had on our potions master - she was taking it too far!

"What is your problem? Am I not permitted to make a potion without confronting you first to make sure it doesn't steal your limelight or draw Malfoys gaze away from you?" Isobel was walking in front of me, head held high, scoffing as I spoke. I hurried to keep up, attempting to get through to her how ridiculous she was being.
"He's a teacher, you have a school girl crush on him. You're not engaged to be married - get over yourself, Isobel." She stopped in her tracks, her shoulders lowered and her face softened.
"It's not that, you don't understand. It's so much more bigger..." Isobel sighed and shook her head as if I was in the wrong.
"So what is it? What exactly have I done that had hurt your feelings Isobel, is it because for once you have someone who is on the same level as you. Can you no longer look down at everybody and feel superior because you're teachers pet?" The words just seemed to flow, however hurtful and false they were, they just happened. Isobels eyes filled with tears as I realised what damage I had done. She began to walk.
"Isobel! Isobel, wait! I'm sorry - I didn't mean it!" I ran after her, but she kept on walking, faster and faster, heading up towards the Ravenclaw common room - the only place I couldn't get to her.

***
"I can't believe you said that. Araina, that is such a 'me-thing' to say." Meredith chuckled as I re-told her about my argument with Isobel.
"I didn't mean it! I just, I was mad."
"Well you should have meant it! Look, everything you said, however mean - it was true." Meredith chewed on the end of a liquorice wand as she spoke.
"D'you think it was bad of me, to say those things?" Guilt flowed through me and seemed to radiate my entire being, Isobel didn't deserve to be treat like that, she was my best friend and I should have asked her why she was upset, instead of just accusing.
"Yes, I do. But, we're in Slytherin - it's just how we are. We're passionate, opinionated, resourceful, determined-"
"Cunning, selfish, oh and arrogant." I looked at Meredith who was still eating her liquorice wand.
"You're none of those things. You lost your temper, everybody does - even the badgers. But, the hat shoved you here for a reason, a reason other than the fact you have family issues." Meredith smiled encouragingly, and at that point I realised I had got her wrong. She wasn't just a high school hotty, she was a good friend - and she cared.
"I just hope Isobel can forgive me."
"She will; just make sure she gets a higher score than you in the next charms quiz and it'll be like today never happened." Meredith laughed and climbed off of my bed and into her own.
"Night Meredith." I lowered myself down onto my pillow and closed my eyes.
"Night" Meredith sung the word and with a wave of my wand the light in our dormitory was extinguished.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's a short chapter, please forgive me :)
I've been getting a few new readers and subcribers these past few chapters, so thankyou everybody who has continued to read from the beginning, and welcome to those who have just started. Hope you're enjoying the story so far :)
xxx