Status: Complete

Pure-Blood? I'm B Positive

The Letter of Truth

I sat in the dark in my temporary bedroom, unaware of the late hour. I was still undecided about if I should tell Draco that I knew everything, or if I should remain silent. The issue was, that I didn't feel as close to Draco as I did before I came to stay at the manor, the awkward clashes in the hallways, along with the tension at the dinner table was making Christmas unbearable. Subconsciously I knew exactly what I wanted to do, unfortunately it just wasn't possible. I wanted Neville, I wanted him to tell me it was okay, and that he was going to protect me, and keep me safe. I wanted to tell Neville that I overheard the conversation, but had no way of contacting him - what rule made Wizards not have phones?
Then it hit me, I have Sammy. I grabbed some paper and began scrawling my confession onto with raven black ink, occasionally dripping and smudging words carelessly. I sent Sammy out of the window once I'd finished, hardly giving chance for the ink to dry before folding the page and slipping into the birds beak.

I eagerly waited a reply, and hardly slept thinking of Neville's reaction once he read my letter. The morning soon came, and with it came rain. I sat and wondered what had become of my letter, if the rain had ruined the inked words that spoke the truth of what I had heard. I got out of bed, stretching my legs. My feet touched the ice cold wooden floor, causing a shiver to travel through my entire body. I braved the cold and walked around the bottom of the grand four-poster bed, I grabbed the corner of the bed sheet and pulled it up into the air, making it ripple. It fell perfectly onto the bed, without a crease. I walked towards to window, opening the latch, and then the window; the sound of the rain filled the room as soon as the window was open an inch.

I left the bedroom and entered my en suite, turning on the bath tap. The hot water and steam soon filled the small bathroom, opening my pours and making me feel totally relaxed. I entered the bath and laid there for a while until all the steam had cleared and my finger tips were wrinkled. A knock came from outside my bedroom door.
"I'm in the bath, what is it?"
"It's Dee-Dee, I brought you breakfast. I'll just leave it outside the bedroom door." I heard Dee-Dee's footsteps, slowly getting fainter and fainter. I stepped out of the bath, careful not to slip, grabbing the white fluffy bathrobe which hung on the door. I wrapped myself within in and walked back into my bedroom. I opened the door a crack and pulled the tray of food in. It was at that point Sammy flew over to me, nibbling on the corner of my bacon. I ripped a small piece off and allowed him to eat it, not realising what his return meant - Neville had replied.
I turned and saw a small envelope that has soil stained on my bed pillow. I turned to face Sammy, whose underbelly feathers were slightly dirty. I smiled at the thought of Neville writing a letter on a desk that was littered with plant pots and soil.
I opened the letter, the breakfast totally leaving my mind.

"Dear Ariana," As I read the letter, my heart did somersaults, the way he wrote my name was perfect, a little dash above the 'I', The 'A' slightly tilted.

"I had a feeling you would be listening in, and I really think we should discuss this in person - it's unfair that I didn't discuss this with you, I just didn't want you worrying, especially over Christmas. I'll be seeing you soon. Neville x"

My pupils dilated as I looked at the single kiss that Neville had given me. My heart was in my throat and I wasn't entirely sure why. I mean, it was a single kiss - he probably signs all his letters like that, I was over reacting. To him it probably meant nothing, but to me it meant so much. I sat and ate my breakfast, whilst stroking Sammy in order to calm me down. I figured that Neville was either coming today or tomorrow, and I decided I was going to make him see me as Araina, and not his student.
I walked over to the oak closet and picked out an emerald green dress which was knee length and very tight, at first I thought it was a bit too much, going too far, but it didn't just give me sex appeal, it gave me sophistication and confidence. It seemed to wrap perfectly around my figure and made me look old enough settle a mortgage. I decided to make the look more casual by adding some tights, flat shoes and a charcoal cardigan. I usually don't wear green, but my outfit seemed to match this house, so it was fine. I let my hair dry naturally into it's waves. I sat at the vanity table in the bathroom and attempted to make the best of the little make-up I had, I looked at the essentials and I had and thought of how helpful Meredith would be right now. I took my blush and contoured my face slightly and then put a brown eyeshadow in the crease of my eye and blended it out making my blue eyes pop. I then applied my eyeliner and mascara. I decided to leave my lips neutral and simply applied balm before leaving my bedroom and going downstairs to see if Draco had heard of Nevilles arrival.

"Morning." Draco didn't lift his head from the Daily Prophet as he sat at the kitchen table and ate his perfectly golden toast.
"Morning." I stood to the left of him, and as soon as he lifted his head his jaw stopped chewing the food in his mouth, and instead froze - his mouth opened slightly, almost gawping.
"You going somewhere?" Draco lifted his brow.
"No, why?" I acted clueless.
"Well, you're wearing a silk party dress - is this a special occasion?" Draco continued eating his toast, the initial shock of my choice of outfit leaving him.
"No, I just thought I'd get dressed up - I never wear this sort of stuff, so I thought i'd give it a try." I sat down, the dress restricting my movement, now I remembered exactly why I was always in trousers or shorts. Draco continued reading the paper.
"You heard anything from Neville?" I placed my elbows on the table and rested my head on top of my hands.
"Well actually... I get it now. Your attire, someone to impress?" Draco sighed and folded the paper and put it down. He then placed his elbows on the table, mimicking me. "He's not coming today, he's coming tomorrow, he's going to spend Christmas with us." Draco grinned. "Looks like you got dressed up for nothing. And for future reference, you'd look better in blue."
I looked down at the table, blushing. Was it that obvious?
"What makes you think I dressed like this for Neville?" I didn't lift my head, and instead directed my voice to the table.
"Well, the first sign was when you kissed him." My head shot up with shock, my mouth was open and my eyes wide, I almost looked like an owl.
"He told me. Look, you were just people then, I get it. Your 17, nearly 18 it's okay he's only 21. But he's your teacher now, it's not right and I know it's not fair but you can't go chasing him, not yet anyway." Draco spoke softly, sympathising with my situation.
"But... but I don't want to wait." My eyes filled with tears, it took every inch of me to hold them back.
"I'm afraid you have no choice." Draco slouched into the chair.
"So I'm supposed to wait for another year and a half until I'm done with school, having to see him everyday? I'm supposed to wait, wait on what? He's never confessed any feelings for me, what if he doesn't want me? What if that kiss was a mistake and I'm just a kid to him?" The tears flew, taking my mascara and eyeliner with them. My face was streaked and my eyes black.
Draco remained silent, allowing me to weep away the pressure and emotions which I've stifled for many months. Draco handed me a napkin for my to wipe away my tears, leaving my face red and sore.

"You know you're not the only one finding this situation difficult. We've never had to deal with this before, yes we dealt with a war, but we've never dealt with real life issues." Draco let out a single laugh. I smiled at him, appreciating his comfort.
"I think you should tell him, and talk to him about this - the only people who can deal with this is you and him." Draco looked into my eyes with concern.
"I can't, I wouldn't be able to get the words out." I played with the corner of the napkin.
"Would you rather like the next year of your life wondering, with it always on your mind?"
"No." I sulked, realising Draco spoke the truth, it was just difficult to take - like drinking medicine. I stood up and thanked Draco before turning on my heel and walking back up to my bedroom. I needed to think this through before decided what to do, I would have wrote it in a letter but I felt that action was cowardly and I didn't want to be that type of person who was afraid of rejection. I wanted to prove myself to him, and I couldn't do that in a letter.
♠ ♠ ♠
A short update to keep you doing, now exams are over I might be able to focus on this story a little more - I'm not promising anything though because I have a lot of other commitments with school and everything.
I also just wrote a one shot story, so if you want to check that out - feel free. :)