Status: Complete

Pure-Blood? I'm B Positive

A Merry Christmas

I decided to sleep on the decision, I went to bed with a heavy head and as soon as my head touched the silk pillow I fell into a deep, dreamless sleep. I awoke the next morning, and began repeating yesterdays routine. I just stepped out of my bath when there was a soft rapping at the oak door.
"Hello?" I rubbed my hair with a small towel, expelling some of the moisture.
"It's Dee-Dee, I have a present for you." The door muffled the house elves voice but I still managed to understand her words.
"Come in Dee-Dee, shut the door behind you please." I grabbed my bath robe and secured it around myself as Dee-Dee closed the door behind her.
"I feel terrible - I didn't get you a gift." I sat on my bed and offered Dee-Dee to shit down beside her, she seemed a little shocked by the offer but jumped onto the bed, placing the small box into my lap.
"It's fine Miss. It's just something me and Linny made for you, to say thankyou." Dee-Dee's feet dangled off of the edge of the bed as she sat there, propping herself up with her arms, she seemed like a small child, yet I dare say she was probably older than me.

I opened the small box and inside was a small white silk parcel that was secured with a piece of green ribbon. I picked up the parcel and smelt it, inside must be filled with a selection of herbs and flowers as I couldn't distinguish the scent it emitted.
"Thankyou." I continued to smell the silk package, aiming to detect what was causing it's unique and pleasant smell.
"It's got flowers from the garden, and a few herbs from the kitchen in it, Linny picked what to put in, and I tied the bow." Dee-Dee pointed to the ribbon which was keeping all of the components inside.
"It's really nice Dee-Dee, thankyou so much." I put the parcel onto my pillow and gave Dee-Dee a hug, thanking her for the thoughtful homemade gift.
"Put it inside your pillow cover, it'll help you sleep." Dee-Dee climbed off of the bed and began to walk out of the room. "When you're dressed, come downstairs for breakfast." I nodded, and Dee-Dee left the room, shutting the door behind her.
I opened my set of drawers and looked at the array of dull clothes I possessed; greys, navy blues, blacks, the occasional violet - they were all so dark. I dug through my tops, trying to find something brighter and happier, a white blouse seemed to be the only thing I could find. I put the white blouse on, along with a black pair of shorts, tights and brogues before heading downstairs to breakfast. I dare say this suited me more than yesterdays outfit. The shorts and blouse were loose and comfortable whilst making me look mature and stylish.

Draco was already at the table, eating his toast and reading the paper like usual.
"Merry Christmas." I said as I sat beside him, he put down his paper and smiled at me.
"Merry Christmas, Ariana." Draco pushed a small, raven, cuboid box that was laying on the table towards me.
"Draco, I can't accept that - I didn't get you anything." I looked down at the gift, the box itself looked expensive.
"You gave me the best gift ever, you gave my head a shake." Draco smiled gently at me before sipping his morning coffee. I smiled at Draco, a little embarrassed and excited - I'd never really got personal gifts before. Christmas at Ryton Dene was very different.
I opened the box, and inside was a set of stud earrings, both containing a small cyan blue jewel which resembled the colour of my eyes.
"These are beautiful, thankyou so much." I put the earrings on and checked how they looked by looking at myself in the sugar spoon which was on the table. I'd never been one for jewelry, for one it was too expensive for me to buy, secondly - nobody else cared enough to buy it for me.
"You're welcome. Neville will be here soon, so you better get changed into something that matches those earrings."
I nodded, not exactly knowing what to wear that would compliment the beautiful piece of jewelry. I walked up the stairs, mentally going through my wardrobe trying to identify an outfit which would match the earrings.
I opened my door, and on my bed laid a casual dress which was an ice blue colour, almost white. Perfect for this time of year. I put it on, it fit to perfection reaching just above my knees. It was held up with two thin straps and the bodice of the dress was detailed finely with folded fabric which wrapped around my hips and chest. The bottom of the dress curved into a tulip shape and made the dress more comfortable that the green one I wore the day before. I put on a pair of sandals and decided to curl my hair, pinning it away from my face. I then added my everyday make-up and placed a small amount of gloss on my lips before leaving the bedroom. When I got to the bottom of the stairs, Neville was standing there, holding a small Christmas tree under his arm.
I greeted him with a smile, a smile that was hiding a secret. He was speechless as he greeted me, smiling back. Draco passed us silently, leaving us to stare at each other in silence for a minute of two.

"Araina, you look... well." Neville placed the miniature Christmas tree on the floor beside him before taking off his knitted scarf and thick coat. I stepped forward and smiled at him, thanking him for the compliment.
"It's nice to see you again Neville, it seems like it's been forever." I stared at the floor, unsure of when I should bring up what I wanted to talk with him about.
Neville walked into the kitchen, where Draco was sitting, he sat in the seat I usually sat in, I sat beside Draco, a little too shy to sit so close to Neville. Draco watched me sit down and looked on with confused eyes, I shrugged my shoulders as I tucked my chair in.
"So what are we having?" Neville joked. The Christmas feast came along with crackers and tons of treat, the three of us seemed to forget whatever happened to be on our minds when we woke up this morning, we laughed at the terrible jokes in the Christmas crackers, we spoke of embarrassing tales from our childhoods and the time seemed to fly effortlessly. I can't speak on behalf of Draco and Neville, but for me it was the best Christmas I had ever experienced. By the end of the afternoon our stomachs were bulging and I had almost forgot of what I woke up aiming to do.

We stayed in the kitchen even after the plates had been cleared away. It was most likely the smallest room in the house, and I imagine it made it feel warmer, more intimate. The conversation soon slowed and Draco soon told Dee-Dee to bring out the desert along with a bottle of red.
"Neville, can I speak to you please?" I put my napkin on the table and stood up, Draco looked up at me and gave me an encouraging smile. Neville nodded, before wiping his mouth and standing up. I walked out of the kitchen with haste, expecting Neville to follow me - once I was out of the kitchen I began to pace around the hallway until Neville appeared from the kitchen doorway.
"I know what this is about, it's the letter you sent right?" Neville put his hands in his pockets, and leaned against the wall as I stood and played with my hair nervously.
"Yes.. no, partially." I looked up at Neville, his emotion was hard to read.
"Well, I had a feeling you were going to listen in on what we were saying,; it wouldn't be the first time" He laughed. "I don't blame you - if I were you I'd want to know what was going on too. I'm really sorry I didn't tell you, I just didn't want you to get worried like before. We're going to get to the bottom of-"
"Will you just shush. I don't want to talk about that now, it doesn't matter right now. I just, I just need to tell you something else. I set out today aiming to tell you everything, and so I need to do it now, because if not I'll chicken out and won't say it at all."
Neville looked into my eyes, in attempt to decipher what I needed to say.
"Oh, fine. Go on."
The silence between us was thick like fog, blurring my vision and clogging my throat; I couldn't convey my message. He took a step towards me, in attempt to calm my nerves he placed his hand on my shoulder. I looked up at his kind and understanding face.
"Your eyes look so blue today." The silence was shattered by Neville's observation. I looked to the floor, still determined to tell Neville how I felt, to demand an explanation.

"You need to stop, it's too much." I almost shouted, leaving Neville taken back.
"What are you talking about?" Neville stood up straight awaiting my response.
"The kiss, holding hands at the hospital, the kiss on the letter? You keep telling me to stop, but it's not just me - it's you too."
"Ariana"
"No. I know it's wrong, and I'm not expecting anything from you. I just want some answers."
"So ask the questions." Neville spoke calmly, even though I was frantically pacing the hallway. His reaction put me off and made my mind go blank.
"Well... well, why are you leading me on? I know you don't like me; there is nothing much to like, but you keep giving me mixed signals, you keep giving me hope." My voice cracked while I spoke, all I could hear in my head in Neville laughing at me for even thinking that someone like him would be interested in me. But that never came. Nothing came, no words. It felt like an entire year went by as we stood in the hallway, like it was already next Christmas. The he cleared his throat, I looked up and his eyes were wide.
"I was never leading you on. Everything I ever said to you, everything we did together. It was all the truth." He sighed and rubbed his forehead with his index finger. I remained silent. "If I could give you one gift this christmas, I would give you self-confidence" I looked up, moved and shocked by his words. But I couldn't say anything, I just looked at his face; his stunning, stubbled, honest, innocent face.
"I do like you, a lot, Araina. You're beautiful and smart, and so forgiving and understanding. Those weeks we spend in the leaky cauldron..." His eyes smiled as he spoke, going over the memories we shared of the summer. "You told me I was brilliant and talented when everybody else has said otherwise. You made me feel wanted, and I..." He stopped and smiled at me, stepping closer towards me.
"Neville, how are we supposed to deal with this at school. It's so hard to not smile at you in class, calling you by your second name like you're nothing but a tutor to me." I stepped closer, reciprocating his movements.
"It's hard for me too, to treat you the same as I treat all my other students when I know you're so much more. But if people knew..." He stopped smiling and put his warm hand on my cheek. I closed my eyes and appreciated this moment, I wasn't a fool - I knew when term started it would be back to the formal greetings.
"I wish it was easier, but it isn't." Neville moved his hand from my face and looked down at the floor, sighing.
"I wasn't expecting it to be easy, I wasn't expecting anything. I just needed to know how you felt, for certain. It's been running around my head all the time, I didn't know what it was between us. Friendship? More? Nothing?"
"It's definitely more" Neville suddenly stepped forward, causing me to look up. He ran his hand through my curled hair as his warm slightly chapped lips crashed into mine. This kiss was different, it had such power and purpose. I placed my hands to either side of his neck, pulling him closer towards me. He wrapped his other arm around my waist as we continued to kiss. Neville was the first to pull away, panting for breath. I looked into his eyes, they were so alive and filled with tears. He still held me, and I him as we stood gazing at each other in silence.
My heart sank as reality set in. "We'll have to make the most of today, and summer." Neville nodded in agreeance and straightened my hair down from where he had been tussling it.
"Besides, there really are more important things we should both be worrying about than how we are going to hide our feelings. Araina, I think we're all in danger"
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it has been over a year. For some odd reason I had a spark of inspiration and have decided to start writing again.
Still not sure on the ending of this story however, so any ideas/inspiration would be useful.