Status: Complete

Pure-Blood? I'm B Positive

The Suspect

I had been at school for almost a month now and Professor Malfoy still hadn't agreed a time or date for our lessons. I was beginning to think he had lied to me. I was sat in Charms lazily jotting down notes as I daydreamed - usually I was assertive and active in class but lately I had other things on my mind. Isobel was in the middle of answering Professor Flitwicks questions when there was a strong knock at the door followed by Neville entering.
"Good morning Professor, can I steal Araina from your class please?" His eyes darted from Professors Flitwicks to mine. I closed my books and gathered them into my bag as Professor Flitwick nodded in response. I quietly left the room following Neville.
"What is it? It is about Me and Draco? Because he never made good on his end of our deal - so you have nothing to be mad about." I spoke quietly and quickly, looking up at Neville. He didn't look at me, but instead looked ahead. His face was pale and his jaw clenched. I followed him in silence to McGonagalls office. He closed the door behind me and before me stood several wizards and witches, only a few I recognised.
My stomach filled with dread as I realised this was something very serious.
"What is going on?" I asked the room, afraid on the answer. Neville stood behind me with his arms crossed, remaining silent.

"Miss Riddle, this is Harry Potter, Ronald Weasley and Kingsley Shacklebolt." Professor McGonagall spoke. Harry and Kingsley stood together in the centre in front of McGonaglls desk. Hermione and Ronald stood together with McGonagall a little to the left of them. Draco stood in the corner on his own, arms crossed like Neville.
I nodded showing I understand.
"What has happened? Did you catch them?" I asked, looking at Draco.
"One, yes. We questioned a death eater at the ministry last night and he gave us information adding to the case of this mystery dark lord." Harry spoke, pushing his glasses up his nose as he spoke. His eyes were soft and he looked young, yet very important and wise. I nodded again.
"They told us who was in charge of their operation." Kingsley signed stepping towards me. "They provided your name. You have to come with us to the ministry for questioning." He grabbed my wrist softly, but I flung him away.
"No. It's a lie! Whoever you spoke to - they lied. Somebody lied." I was frantic, my face turned red and my entire body was shaking. "I haven't done anything." I began to cry against my own will.
Draco approached me and held my shoulders as I shook.
"Come on, we know you didn't do anything - but they can't ignore what they've been told."
"Do we?" Ronald spoke. Hermione nudged him. "Well, we don't know her - we have to question her properly and if we suspect her she needs to go to Azkaban with the rest of them." Ronald crossed his arms and looked at me with a stern face.
"She's just a child!" Hermione argued. Looking up at her husband.
"I don't see that. I just see Fred." Ronald spoke. I didn't understand what it meant, but the entire room went silent after he spoke.
"Well we question her here and then take her?" Draco argued, pleading my case. Neville was being suspiciously quiet.
"Fine. But the slightest hint of trouble and we have to take her, sorry." Harry added.
"There won't be any trouble, I haven't done anything." I whimpered, getting my emotions in control.

I sat down in a chair when Harry, Ronald, Hermione and Kinglsey surrounding me. They reeled off a list of names that meant nothing to me asking if I knew them. They asked me questions but I couldn't answer any of them. They asked if I was working with anyone, if anybody had recruited me. I just kept repeating myself "No."
"I don't believe her. She isn't giving us anything."
"We have no proof - just her word against the snatchers."
"We have to take every pre-caution."
They all argued until they were blue in the face, not really getting anywhere.
"What do you think Neville? You have spent the most time with her and arguably know her the best." Harry asked. Neville looked up from the floor and looked at me.
"I don't think she's capable of doing this. She doesn't know enough of what happened to want vengeance or have a motive. " He spoke very matter of fact.
"Agreed - but she could be putting on a facade. She seemed very interested in the comings and goings of the order and the progress we've made. Undoubtedly she's a very smart girl. She could be playing you." Kingsley spoke. They all continued to argue and I felt hope leave me. They were going to take me no matter what I said, that was soon becoming apparent.
"I guess I can't say. You're the experts. You'll have to take her, just don't hurt her." Neville said after Kingsley's little speech.
That secured their opinions. They tied my hands behind my back and were ready to take me to the ministry.
"You can't do this. I'm innocent. You're letting them win!" I screamed through violent sobs. Neville had betrayed me, and despite Draco's best efforts they didn't trust him enough to vouch for me.
"Veritaserum!" Draco screamed. "Use it on her. Let her prove herself to you. She deserves a chance. You're judging her on her family line just as I judged you for your blood status. You're just as bad as I was." Draco spoke. The room was silent and then Kingsley nodded. Draco quickly left the room to go to his stores to retrieve the vile of truth serum.

The room was silent and I stared at Neville, who seemed deflated. I felt betrayed and abandoned. I had trusted him to take care of me, and trust me back - but it appears he never did.
Draco returned with a small glass vile in his hand. It was filled with a clear liquid.
They sat me back on the chair - my arms still tied, my eyes red and sore and my throat scratchy from my screams and sobs. Draco tipped the vile into my mouth and I swallowed. It didn't taste like anything, thankfully - it was just cold.
They started by asking some basic questions - to test it was working. Then they began the interrogation.
"Where were you over Christmas?" Kingsley asked.
"I was with Draco at his manor, he has invited me to stay over - Neville visited too." Neville looked up at the mention of his name. They continued to ask questions. I spared no details, telling them everything they asked. I even managed to slip about my feelings for Neville. But thankfully I didn't share the kiss. Making it seem like a little crush, keeping Neville in the clear.
After over an hour of questions they were satisfied. Ronald apologised and I was asked the leave. Neville soon followed.
"I don't want to talk to you." I shouted back, quickening my pace to avoid him.
"I'm sorry, Araina. I didn't know what to do."
"Obviously. You were just going to let them take me. Did you really think it was true? That I was the one doing all of this bad stuff?" I had stopped crying and spat my words at him like venom. "Leave."
Neville slowly backed away from me, before turning and walking back towards McGonagalls office.

I stormed through the empty corridors, unsure of where I was heading. I wanted to be alone, I wanted to be able to scream at the top of my lungs without judgment. I wanted to beat my fists on the stone walls until they bled. I was burning with fury and I needed to let it escape. My eyes are blurred but I soon blink back the tears. I had done enough crying today, in front of a lot of people. They broke me and nobody had my back. I suppose I was wrong, I was as alone in this world as I was in the last. My walk soon turned into a jog, which in turn became a sprint. I'm not sure exactly why or when I started running. The grey stone walls and torches passed me in blurs, as did the paintings and portraits. Suddenly I hit something with my left shoulder, knocking both myself and it down. I was laid on my side panting, I didn't get up.
"Watch where you're going!" A sharp voice shouted at me, I could hear the person scrambling to stand up.
"Araina?" The voice was now softer, I recognised it. It was Keeran. I didn't look up out of shame, I faced the floor studying every grain and spec I could see in the cold stone. I could feel his hands grab my arms and try pull me up. It takes him a few tries before he manages to grab me in a way that allows him to pull me up my feet. I stand there limp, still looking at the floor - not wanting him to see my red swollen face.
"Come with me." He put his arm around my back, forcing me to follow him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another chapter.

Any comments would really be appreciated. Feedback is the only way I can improve

Thank you for reading <3