Status: Complete

Pure-Blood? I'm B Positive

The Morning After

I woke up, dizzy with headache and thirst. I almost felt hungover; which I had the pleasure the experience once of twice when I was at Ryton Dene, sneaking whiskey from the top cabinets, on particularly hard nights. I opened my heavy eyes and looked around. This wasn't my dorm. I wracked my brain trying to think of what had happened yesterday after I had left McGonagall's office. The thinking just made my brain hurt. I sat up and discovered I was still in my uniform from yesterday, my shoes, socks and wand were on the floor beside me, neatly put together with thought. I put them on and looked around the room, not bothering to make the bed. I had no idea what time it was, all I knew I was in a slytherin dorm, the green and silver forever dominating the walls and furnishing. I looked at the bedside table, there was a family photo - revealing whose bed I had been in last night. A young boy was stood between his mother and father, I studied his face and could tell it was Keeran; the dark hair and pale skin, the honey eyes and stern lip. I left the dorm and made my way down the stairs to the common room, it was dark indicating it was still too early for everybody else to be awake. I looked up at the old ebony clock that sat in the corner of the room ticking rhymically. It was 6:30. I made my way to the couch and sunk into the soft old leather. I pointed my wand towards to fireplace "Incendio" A small spark came from my wand and fell into the fire that instantly set ablaze as if it had been burning for hours. The smell of the burning wood and the irregular crackle of the flames comforted me as I sat alone in the dark trying to remember what had happened yesterday.

No matter how hard I tried to piece everything together the last thing I could remember was running, continuously running down corridors. I was angry and upset at Neville, and all I could do was run. How did I end up in Keerans bed? Did I collapse and he bring me here? Did I go to him to find solace? I had no idea, and nothing seemed to trigger a memory within me. I would have to ask him.
It did worry me that I was in his bed, what if something happened? I was never the type of girl to jump from boy to boy - I'd only had one boyfriend in my whole life and that was when I was 14. We dated for a few months until I accidently made his bedroom mirror explode, he never spoke to me after that - nobody at school did. Just as I was trapped in thought I heard the common room painting creak and moan as it moved to let someone in. I turned my head to see Keeran walk through the door, head down and hands in pockets.
"Keeran. What happened, please tell me - I, I don't remember anything." I was frantic, jumping up from the couch and running toward Keeran. He backed away, as if I was going to attack him. I stopped a few inches in front of him and looked pleadingly into his eyes, asking for answers. He stood silent for a moment, the little colour he had in his face drained from him as if he had just seen somebody die.
"You were running through the corridors and ran into me, you fell backwards and banged your head. I took you to the hospital wing and they said you had concussion, they gave you a sleeping draught to help you sleep it off, I took you to my dorm so I could keep an eye on you." He looked at his feet as he spoke, his voice was flat and lifeless, he must be so tired from looking after me.
"Really? I guess that explains the headache. Thankyou, Keeran." I lifted his head gently with my hand so he could see how grateful I was for him taking care of me. He froze as if I was Meduza and has turned him to stone. I stepped back, shocked by his response. After a moment of silence that was only interrupted by the cracking of the fire behind us, the life returned to him.
"Well don't do it again. It was a pain looking after you. Nobody likes a helpless damsel." He pushed past me and walked up to his dorm with hast, never looking back.

I stood there for a moment, inanimate with shock. I didn't understand boys, and I guess I never would. I brushed it off and decided to make my way to my dorm so I could get ready for another day. I didn't bother going to the great hall, I wanted to avoid seeing Neville for as long as possible, even though I had Herbology first period.
I was in class first, the empty Herbology class was cold, the wind blowing furiously, rattling the glass panes. The door opened and Neville walked in.
"Araina." He looked at me, as if he was looking at an injured animal. He opened his mouth to say something else but he was interrupted as more students piled in and took their seats for the lesson. He shook his head and began preparing the lesson. I listened and took notes, as I had never done in his class. I listened as I would listen to Professor Murphy or Professor Malfoy. I began putting my books away and I knew what was coming.

"Miss Riddle, could you please stay behind after class, I wish to talk about your last homework assignment." He shuffled things around on his desk as everybody else left. I remained in my seat, silent as the grave. He walked over to the door to close it, before returning to my desk sitting next to me.
"I feel terrible about yesterday. I should have stood by you like Draco did. I-I just, back when Voldemort was here, it was hard to trust people. Teachers turned out to be death eaters, parents of students ended up trying to kill you in battle. It was insane, and it leaves you having a twisted view of strangers intentions, especially when everybody else is whispering things in your ears." Neville spoke quietly, staring at me. My eyes remained fixated on the desk.
"What does this have to do with me? I wasn't a stranger. For a long time you were the only friend I had, and I thought you cared about me, knew me. Instead you were just watching me closely, to decide if I was the bad guy?" I shook my head and scoffed.
"No! Araina, that is not true. It was a dangerous decision to bring you here, but you deserved to come here, to be yourself and know the truth. I wanted to make sure you weren't used or got influenced by the wrong people. I was afraid that might have happened when they brought you into that office. I decided at that moment that I would take a step back to stop myself getting hurt if it was true. It was a move I had for self preservation. It was selfish and I feel terrible for thinking you were involved in any of this." I remained silent, he sighed. "The truth is Araina. Ever since Christmas I have been thinking about why you would be interested. Why you would kiss me, or confess all of these feelings. I didn't think it was real, I thought there was some catch. So when Harrys patronus delivered me the message saying they needed to come question you, it seemed like that was the catch." He looked at the table, ashamed.
"How old are you? You sound like a teenage girl - like me. I was thinking the same thing about you. That I would never even cross your mind. But I still stood by you, and trusted you." I spoke bitterly, thinking he was making all of this up - just saying what he thought I wanted to hear.
"I know. That's because you're a better person than I am. Everything I have said is the truth, and I just need you to give me a chance to show you that you mean everything to me. I lost my parents through dark wizards and Voldemort's regime. I never want to see that happen again, to people I care about. This is bigger than just you and me. If we start fighting and hating each other, then we have truly lost this war, before the battles have even begun." He sighed again, before raising his head and waiting for my response. He was right, he always was. I sat pondering this from his point of view, the worst thing was I understood everything he had said and done up until this point.
"Neville, you ever doubt me, or my intentions again - and that is it." I turned to look at him, and he nodded attentively. "And do not ever question my feelings for you, they are mine." My face was serious, but he just smiled at me. It was a smile that showed relief, longing. I think it said 'I love you' but I wasn't going to expect that just to be let down by normal smiles in the future.

There was a moment of silence before Neville spoke again.
"Where did you go anyway. I was running around all night looking for you." He looked concerned.
"I...I don't remember. But Keeran told me I got concussion running into him and he took me to the hospital wing and then back to his dorm." I felt a little embarrassed, telling Neville I had spent the night with Keeran.
"I checked the hospital wing, over and over." Neville's concern turned to worry and rage, all in one.
"What are you saying?" His worry infected me as I sat thinking of the possibilities. All I had to go on was Keerans story, and after this outburst this morning - who knows what really happened.
"I'm sure it's nothing. I'm sorry to worry you. Just me being over-protective."He smiled at me, but I could see the worry still in his eyes.

***

The following weeks I tried to avoid Keeran. It wasn't hard considering he was hardly ever anywhere. When I did see him, it was only for a second. He would dart away as soon as our eyes met. I often asked Meredith about him, she wouldn't say much - only her warped opinions. I could see he was becoming more and more estranged. The more weeks that passed the more he seemed to snap at people, his hair was flat to his head and his clothes always crumpled. He was alienating people against him and insulting anybody who dare look at him. But not me, just seemed to pretend I didn't exist at all. After weeks of him rotting my brain I decided it was best to treat him the same way. He wasn't my responsibility and his problems were obviously very personal. We never spoke. Just glaces that lasted less than a second. Each time he would look more and more ill and frail.
It was a Saturday and I decided to get up early and head to the owlrey.
"Araina!" Neville cried out, scaring several owls. I turned, confused by his urgency.
"What's wrong?" I turned to look at him, his eyes were red and he hadn't shaved.
"Where have you been?" Nobody has seen you since Friday. "Isobel came to me after you never met her at the Library and she couldn't find you. Me and Draco have been looking everywhere."
"What are you talking about, I was supposed to meet Isobel in the Library at 11, it's only 9:30." I was even more confused.
"It's Sunday." He walked across towards me, putting his hands on my shoulders for support.
"What. No. I remember going to sleep, and just waking up." My voice began to break as I held back tears of fear. "What is happening to me?" I whispered before falling into Nevilles chest.
"I don't know, but we're going to find out, okay? I'm going to take care of you." Neville's finger ran through my hair as he comforted me.
Who knows how many times I have lost time. People had been telling me I'd been skipping classes, late for classes for ages and I never understood why - I brushed it off, my mind already too full with thought. Now it all made sense. God knows what I was doing in that time, forgetting everything I had done.
"Neville. I'm terrified." I sobbed into his scarf and grasped it tight, the only reality I had.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another chapter. Admittedly this is very rushed, but I wanted to get something out as I won't be posted next weekend.

As always please comment and give me feedback. It is appreciated.

Thankyou for reading.