Status: Complete

Pure-Blood? I'm B Positive

The Beast Within

"Why have you brought me here?" Keeran inquired, his eyebrows creased with suspicion.
"We're getting this creature out of here, before it is too big and powerful. We're going to fix this mess, and you're going to tell me everything." I responded, with a power and confidence I had never had before. I knew I had no choice but to be strong and seem in charge.
"Oh, and you're going to make me are you? You've got this all wrong Araina. I tell you what to do... remember?" He smirked, stepping closer to me as he spoke. I pushed him away and turned my head so he couldn't see the worry set on my face.
"The tables have turned now. There is no going back now. This isn't a game, Keeran." I looked directly into his eyes, hoping to reach the part of him inside that knew I was right. "People have died, and more will die. And for what?" I paused, my voice quaking as I thought of all the possible things Keeran had done.
"They have died because they deserve to die!" Keeran bellowed, his face red and eyes blurry with tears.
"Because you say so? Who made you king?" I spat my words, disgusted with the person he had transformed into. "You're not king. You're a weasel - a chess piece in somebody else's plot. Whoever they are, they're using you - so their hands don't get dirty. I bet at first they made you feel powerful, special. They said you were smart, listened to your ideas..." I began, imagining all the different reasons Keeran would have been coaxed into this. "They manipulated you - don't you see that?" Keeran stood there silent, looking at the floor, silent.
"I refuse to believe this is what you really believe in. I refuse to believe you don't regret what you've done. To me, to others. What were you to gain from this?" I continued, hoping Keeran was as easy to help as Draco was.
"Well believe it!" Keeran choked, his face still red and cheeks streaked with tears. "This is who I am. This is what I wanted. Nobody had to manipulate me. Rafi wanted me, I'm his next in command - I'm to take over after him. We have a vision, we're partners."
"You're deluding yourself. You know deep down that is not how it is. I don't know what this Rafi has said or done to you, but you know he only picked you because he knew your weaknesses, he knew how to control you. He needed a student to get to me, to get into the chamber - to control the Basilisk. It's me he needed, not you." I got more aggressive. "He's not having me, ever." I shook my head at Keeran, who was wiping his face of tears. We had a moment of silence as I thought of what to say next, I was not going to give up on this.
"Tell me Keeran, does your father deserve to die too?" A sudden thought came to me, a genius thought. "Was he horrible to you? Did he abuse you? Did Daddy not give you the attention you needed?" I faked a frown, almost mocking him.
"Shut up!" Keeran screamed before sobbing. I was shocked by his outburst, a rush of guilt came over me. "My dad is a great man, the greatest man I know. He taught me everything I know about magic..." He sniffled and soon enough managed to calm down. I slowly put my hand on his should for support. We both sat down on the damp stone floor of the chamber.
"So he doesn't deserve to die? Your veins deceive you, Keeran. Your father's a mudblood." I spoke quietly, hoping the dulcet tones would soften the blow of my earlier aggression. "Stop pretending to be something you're not, it's too tiring - trust me."
"The rest of the family hate us, because of my father being muggle born. Meredith would make up rumours about me to stop me making friends, I was angry. I got bullied, they thought it was a joke I was put into Slytherin." He sniffled and sighed "I wanted to show them I was better than them, all of them. Smarter, more cunning, more powerful. Rafi was in Knockturn Alley when I first met him. I overheard him speaking to some witch called Josaphine, he was trying to rally supporters. I went to him, begged him. He took me under his wing and soon enough I was drunk on the power, he let me run things when we got enough support, whilst he was abroad searching for the Basilisk - that was my idea." He shook his head. "He boasted of killing people, innocent people. At first I didn't think too much about it, I never took it seriously. Until you." Keeran looked up at me, he looked years younger than I had ever seen him - so vulnerable and weak.
"We will fix this, I promise. You made some very bad choices, but we'll fix it." I reassured him, although I wasn't sure how much of what he had done could be un-done. I stood up and turned to face the broken statue of Salazar Slytherin. His noise and eyes were crushed and crumbling, along with parts of his beard and hair.
"Sai-a conasait" I hissed at the statue, beckoning the basilisk to come to me. Within moments I would hear the slither of the heavy snake come through the tunnel to my left, as soon as it came into the chamber I looked at the floor; not daring to chance dying at it's gaze.

The basilisk opened it's mouth, revealing it's sharp yellowing fangs, wet with saliva and venom.
"Araina! Get back!" Neville screamed, running into the heart of the chamber, with Draco close behind him.
"No Neville, it's okay" I turned to face Neville, who was looking at this feet as he ran. "I control it. It won't hurt anybody unless I tell it to." Neville and Draco stopped a foot in front of me. Draco walked towards Keeran who was still knelt on the wet stone floor. He instantly put his arm around Keeran neck, holding him tight in a headlock. Keeran didn't fight or argue, he simply sat there staring at me with pleading eyes.
"Neville please..." I began. "Keeran was the one who erased my memories, he used me to get the basilisk into the chamber - the plan was to rid Hogwarts of Muggleborns, to strike fear back into this place. He's working for someone, someone called Rafi. He can tell you more. We need to send word to the order - we can stop them." I rushed my words, knowing I had plenty of time afterwards to explain properly, right now we had to get rid of the basilisk.
"Right. Let's kill it." Neville nodded, pulling his wand from his pocket. The basilisk was behind us, silent and obedient, waiting for my command.
"No! Please." I begged. "It's not it's fault - it didn't ask for this. It doesn't deserve to be killed because somebody decided to use it for evil." I looked at Nevilles eyes hoping they would warm to the idea.
"I'll send an owl to Charlie Weasley, he'll have somewhere fit for it." Neville begrudgingly agreed.
"What about him?" Draco spat, pulling Keeran up by his neck. "Dementors?"
"Draco." I said sternly. "He's just a boy. He made a mistake, put his trust in the wrong person." I pleaded, hoping he would understand.
"Remind you of anybody?" Neville spoke softly, raising his eyebrows. Dracos grip slackened and his face softened.
"We'll let the order question him. He'll give the information willingly - he can help us." I looked at both Neville and Draco.
"I will. I'm so sorry. I didn't realise how serious this all was until it was too late. I'll tell you everything I know." Keeran looked at Neville, his face pale and ears full of fear and regret. Neville nodded.
"Araina. Let's get out of here - tell the basilisk to follow behind, with it's eyes closed." Neville put his wand away and walked towards to entrance of the chamber, Draco followed close behind, pulling Keeran by the scruff of his shirt.
"Sai-caha-esh. Sithenesh, si-si asha. Karash." I spoke to the basilisk, it did as I asked, following serenely behind, eyes closed listening for our foot steps.

We were back in Myrtles Bathroom, the basilisk great body breaking a toilet booth or two in order to fit.
"Yai-she" I instructed the snake to stay as we left the bathroom, heading towards Nevilles empty greenhouse.
Draco sat Keeran into a chair as the three of us stood over him.
"I don't trust him. This could be part of his plan." Draco spoke first, Keeran didn't respond.
"Keeran tell them. Tell them the plans..." I spoke, pleading for him to be more active.
"He wanted me to plant the snake in Hogwarts, to use Araina to kill the muggleborns. He wanted her on his side. He used me to try and get her on his team. He knows shes powerful and having someone with Voldemorts blood will strike fear and loyalty in many wizards hearts. He wants to finish his work. Pureblood supremacy. He wants to take over the ministry, cause a revolution." Keeran spoke, looking at the floor the entire time.
"Well thats obvious. Any specifics." Draco pleaded, getting impatient.
"Not to me. He only spoke in depth about the plans I were involved in. I'm sorry. I don't know what his next move is after the basilisk. He only ever told me to plant the basilisk and get Araina on our side. I know where he holds meetings, I know a few names and faces - if that helps." Keeran pleaded, finally looking up to face us all. As Draco stared down at Keeran, Neville sat at a desk scribbling on bits of parchment.
"Araina. Take these to the owlrey. One is to the order, and the other to Charlie - we need him to come take this basilisk." Neville pushed the letters to me and notioned for me to leave.
"Are you trying to get rid of me? Why? What are you going to do to him?!" I screamed, fearing for Keerans safety - I felt he was my responsibility, I had persuaded him to help us.
"Nothing. I promise, I swear to you. We can't do anything with him until the Order gets here and they make a decision." Neville nodded. I smiled weakly before leaving.

*** Nevilles P.O.V ***

"Well it's obvious she cares for the boy." Draco turned to me, whispering so he couldn't hear. I could feel my face turning red, despite myself.
"Well shes a caring person." I responded, looking at the young man sat in the chair, defeated. What did she see in him? Why did he matter so much? He hurt her. I didn't trust him, not yet.
"What do you think of him, honestly?" Draco asked, seeing me observe the Keeran.
"I don't trust him, not yet. He's going to have to prove himself to us, to the order. If he lies, or hides information just once that's it. The ministry can have him."
"Maybe that's not the best idea - what if they have already got into the ministry?" Draco spoke honestly, his pale grey eyes glazing over.
"True. The Order will think of something." I crossed my arms. "What a day."

The next day the order arrived. Me, Draco and Arainas stood outside McGonagalls office as they questioned him. It felt like hours had passed as we stood there, awaiting their sentence. I could see the worry in Arainas face. She fidgeted and sighed. No matter how many times I said 'It's okay'.
The door finally opened, Ron was there, his face tired.
"Hi, mate. I've got an update for you. They're going to use Keeran as double agent. He wants to. He's confirmed a few names and places that were already under suspicion and told us everything that happened here. Charlie is coming for the basilisk isn't he?" Ron raised his brow.
"Thanks man. Yes; we've got it blindfolded in a create ready for him."
"Can you keep an eye on Keeran here? Report everything to us. Most of the others are still suspicious of him..." Ron added, his face close to mine.
"I'll keep an eye on him. I'll stay close to him, I promise." Arain butted in, obviously eavesdropping on our conversation. Ron simply nodded politely before going back into McGonagalls office.
"So it's begun." Draco sighed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another chapter. Not my best I know. I've really been lacking inspiration and motivation recently :(

Thankyou for reading anyway :D
xxx