Status: Complete

Pure-Blood? I'm B Positive

Grieving

God knows how long it had been since that morning. Each day melted into the next. I rarely slept, but I never left my bed either. Neville and Draco came to see me every day; sometimes I welcomed their presence, other times I just wanted them to leave. Today I wanted to be alone.
I stepped out of bed, the cold air hit my chest and took my breath with it. I put on my slipper boots and wrapped my robe around my body. I slid out of my dorm and through the empty common room. (It was Tuesday morning... I think, everybody would already be in their first lesson). I slid through the empty but warm corridors, working my way towards my destination. A place nobody would think to look. I stood still in front of the empty wall knowing soon enough a door would appear and I'd be exactly where I needed to be.
The door slowly appeared in front of me, groaning and creaking as it grew. As soon as the venerable handle manifested I grabbed hold of the cold metal and pushed the door open. I stepped inside, not caring to notice if anybody had seen me. The room wasn't the usual cluttered mess full of hiding places and trinkets. It was all empty except for a large fireplace on the far wall, and a large ornate mirror covered roughly with a dust sheet. I slowly walked over to the mirror and pulled the dust sheet off, the mirror rocked slightly as a wave of dust and cobwebs fell onto me. I coughed and spluttered as it settled, brushing it off of myself. I put the dust sheet behind the mirror and took my robe off, putting it on the floor in front of the mirror; I found I no longer needed it with the heat of the fire.

It wasn't until then that I actually glanced at the mirror, at first I thought I was seeing things but then I sat down, inching myself closer to the mirrors surface. There was definitely a little girl stood behind me, too far away to determine who it was. I turned my head slowly to glance behind, but the room was empty. I turned back and she was still stood there, then two other people joined her - her parents I assumed. They both held a hand of hers each and they all looked so happy. They began to walk towards me, the adults swinging the young girl as they went, making her giggle - not that I could hear her through the glass. I'd never heard of a spell that would trap people in mirrors, I was curious how and why they were here. I felt sorry for them at first, but I was soon overcome by envy, then longing. The girl was running around in circles around me as her father chased her playfully. The lady stood next to me smiling and watching them play. I looked up at her, studying her features. She was quite young, and beautiful. She had dark brown hair and steel blue eyes, they looked grey in certain lights. Her skin was pale, but it suited her that way. She was curvy and wore a knee length purple dress that had a black peter pan collar and cuffs. Her hair was wavy and a little out of control in places but most of it was pinned back out of her face. Her daughter looked similar to her, only her hair was a few shades lighter and a lot more out of control. The ladies attention diverted from the young girl to me, as if she had just noticed me sitting there. She looked sad and hurt, she knelt down beside me and put her hand on my cheek. Not that I could feel it. A few tears left her eyes and I was so confused at first, but then it clicked. As I looked at her face at the side of mine, it clicked. The resemblance was uncanny, her eyes, her pale lips. She was my mother.
"Mum?" I questioned in a whisper. She nodded silently, smiling through her tears. I began to cry also, big ugly tears. Not at all in the same way as she was weeping. Then the door clicked.

"Araina?" I heard someone call from behind me, but all of me attention was on this scene in the mirror. Then all of a sudden it all disappeared, Draco standing where my mother was once knelt.
"Where did they go? Bring her back! What have you done?" I shrieked through sobs.
"It wasn't real, Araina. Whatever you saw... I'm sorry." Draco spoke, sitting down beside me before passing me his handkerchief.
"It was my parents, I know it was. And a little girl...I think I have a little sister. Why are they trapped in there? Can't we get them out, please?!" I begged Draco, he looked on me with such pity and sorrow.
"They're not trapped in there, your parents are dead; you know that. The mirror of Erised, it shows you your desires, whatever your heart wants. It's showing you the childhood you want, the family you want." Draco spoke softly and slowly. I understood now, the mirror was a tease, another deception in this world. This mirror was very dangerous to a broken soul. I stood up and distanced myself from it, walking towards the fire place, leaning against the wooden frame surrounding it.
"What are you doing here?" Draco asked. "Me and Neville have been looking for you, as soon as I saw your bed was empty I had a feeling you'd be here."
"I wanted to be alone." I spoke quietly, my voice breaking slightly as it was the first words I had properly spoke in days.
"It's my fault." I began to sob again, my mind floating towards Isobel.
"No, no, no. Don't you start with that. What happened was not your fault. Isobel, was not your fault." Draco walked over to me and put his arms around me as I sobbed and fought against him. "If we chose to not take action, a lot more people will have died. He would have had this castle, this world and Isobel would have been a victim of him in that way, just as the rest of the students would have been. We hoped nobody would have been hurt, and it's very hard that the person who paid for this was your best friend. Isobel has a good soul, she would have wanted you to stop him, she would have wanted justice. Rafi is in Azkaban with his fellow death eaters now, thanks to you, and the risk and sacrifice you made." Draco paused.
"But that doesn't change anything - she's still dead because of my plan."
"No. Shes dead because a death eater shot the killing curse out and she just happened to be there leading the younger students away. She was a hero in this too. It was pure chance that she died that day. Even if we changed out plan or gone back, there is no guarantee we could have stopped her being there and dying; and if we did, that curse would have just hit somebody else. It's tragic, yes - and we are all mourning the loss of a brilliant student, and I'm sure a brilliant friend." He paused again, I think to give me a chance to respond, but I was silent.
"Sitting here and giving up each day isn't going to bring her back, nothing is. Self-hatred isn't exactly a good way to remember her by. She wouldn't have wanted this for you. She would want you to live your life like she were still here. Don't tell me that's not the truth."
"I know what you're saying. But it's hard. I feel guilty for not being able to tell her how much she meant to me, or how thankful I am for our friendship." I said, looking at the floor.
"I know, there is always something you wish you had done, or said. Always. Regardless of what you said, she knew you cared, and she cared greatly for you. I'm not asking you to pretend this never happened, or act normal - but just grieve with us; let us help you, please." Draco pleaded, his grip on me strong yet not forceful. I nodded in response and he lead me out of the room of requirement.
"Where are you taking me?" I asked, hoping I wasn't going to be carted to class, or anywhere public - I was still in my Pj's and bathrobe.
"There's somebody who wants to see you. You've had him crawling the walls the past few weeks." Draco smiled slightly and lead me through the castle towards Neville's office.

The office was empty when we entered, as I assumed Neville was teaching. It seemed that Draco would teach when Neville was watching me, and vice versa. I stood around inspecting all of the items and books I'd seen numerous times before. I was in two minds whether or not I wanted to see Neville. I had missed him, even before Isobel - but I didn't want to see him like this, under these circumstances. I wanted our meeting to be a happy and uncomplicated one.
The door clicked open just as I was pulling my hair out of my face and into a loose braid to hide it's unwashed quality. Despite my appearance and clear uncomfortable expression Nevilles eyes lit up when he saw me standing there - instead of laid unresponsive amid a pile of blankets and dirty clothes.
"Hi." I managed a meek greeting to the man I had once been so passionate towards.
He ran towards me and grasped me tight in his arms, breathing a sigh of relief. I couldn't see the expression on his face, but his arms were shaking and ever tightening around my body. We stood there; the only noise coming from Nevilles erratic breathing and occasional sighs. He pulled away, his eyes slightly red but smiling.
"Araina." He whispered my name managing to compose himself in the process. I nodded in response, managing a faint smile for him. But my lips still quivered, and soon enough my cheeks were streaked and wet with my tears. He gripped me tighter than before, almost lifting me off of the ground as he held me.
"I know." He said softly as he stroked the top of my head and rubbed my back with his other hand. Neville's checkered shirt was soaked with my tears by the time I'd stopped crying. I opened my eyes and lifted my head slightly, my head was pounding and I felt quite light headed from all the crying and lack of eating.
Neville didn't say a word, he didn't need to. He held me and never once told me to stop crying. He laid there with me for the entire day letting me grieve, grieving with me. Then when the light dimmed from the windows and I laid in his arms as we sat in his large leather chair I actually felt that maybe somebody everything might be okay.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this chapter is a bit late, but I found it very difficult to write. I thankfully have not lost anybody close to me in this manor, only when I was very little and didn't truly understand death. So I found it very difficult to accurately portray what Araina was going through.
I hope you enjoy it none the less.

Thankyou for reading <3