Status: Complete

Pure-Blood? I'm B Positive

The Night Before

"We had word from the Order come this morning, and an owl has just delivered Rafi's response." Draco stood over me as he spoke, before shutting the few open books I had sprawled around me at the Library. I rolled up my parchment and grabbed my bag before following him, he had my books in hand.
"So what is going to happen?" I asked, slinging my bag over my shoulder.
"Follow me and I'll tell you everything, Keeran is already there." Draco warned me, he seemed to know I'd been avoiding him since our last meeting. We walked up towards McGonagalls office and after a single knock Draco opened the door and closed it behind me. I put my bag on the floor beside the door as Draco placed my books beside it. The room was silent, everybody turned to greet us with nervous smiles. I walked towards them, consciously holding my head high; I wanted to seem confident, mature and able.
"Miss Riddle, Malfoy. Finally." McGonagall said whilst pushing her spectacles up the bridge of her nose. I nodded in response and stood among the other adults in the room, distancing myself from Keeran.

"Lets begin." Kingsley spoke, walking towards McGonagalls desk standing beside her as she sat in her arm chair looking up at him. "Rafi has set a date for the meeting. It will be the second weekend of May. Just over a week from now. That gives us just enough time to prepare and think ahead. The Order and the Ministry have discussed this in length and have agreed to go ahead with your plan, but on the Orders terms." Kingleys eyes shot briefly in my direction, I nodded in understanding. "A group of Aurors who are members of the Order will be travelling to Hogwarts in the next few days - they have all been briefed on what we know."
"Me, Harry and Ron will be with you at all times, disguised as students." Hermione spoke on behalf of the trio, as Harry and Ron weren't present.
"A disguise? He'll see right through it!" Keeran spoke up.
"Not with Polyjuice Potion. Trust us, we've been doing this a lot longer than you." Another woman spoke, I wasn't sure who she was - just an Auror. I liked her attitude and ability to shut down Keerans whining.
"Rafi has asked to meet both you at the Three Broomsticks. As soon as Rafi is seated, Keeran will leave you, to confirm it is him, not a decoy or follower. Then we will-" Kingsley began.
"No. I'm not going to leave her alone with him. Not even for a second." Keeran argued once more.
"Oh, and you're going to be able to protect me from him, are you?" I shouted sarcastically. "I can take care of myself, and I won't be alone. I wouldn't trust you to take care of my owl, but I trust these Aurors with my life." My word was final. Keerans face was red and his hands were held in fists at his side.
Kingsley cleared his throat before continuing. "One Keeran has left we surround Rafi when he believes he has the upper hand. Araina, you must be calm at all times and don't look around for us, it will make him suspicious. Seem trusting and ignorant, that's how Rafi wants to see you. Within seconds he'll be stunned and the Order will have him whisked away for questioning. We're also going to put a spell on the Three Broomsticks to stop him from apparating, and more members of the Order and Auror will be in the surrounding area just in case he brings any... friends." Kinglsey crossed his arms behind him back, signaling that he had finished.
"I understand. I'll do everything you tell me. This is too important to screw up." I said in response, first looking at Kingsley and then towards the others stood inside the office.

For the next week we met daily, double checking details and training. We even did mock conversations for me and Rafi, things I could and couldn't say. Neville never showed up to any of them. I regrettably had spent more time thinking of him than I should have. I should be 100% focused on Rafi and the coming weekend; but a part of me just couldn't face it without seeing him and trying to make amends. Just in case.
It was the night before the plan would be put into motion, I laid in bed my heart thumping and racing with nerves. I needed to see Neville, I needed him to give me strength, like he had so many times before.
I made my way out of the dorm quietly, not bothering to put on my shoes. I slipped on my dark grey dressing gown that had the Slytherin crest embroidered on the chest and grabbed my wand before carefully tip-toeing down the stairs into the dark abandoned common room. I quickly left the room, not wanting to linger.
"Lumos" I whispered, holding my wand just below my face, to light my way. I quickly, but silently made my way towards where I thought Neville might be. My lack of shoes meant I could make good speed with little noise or friction. I slowed down once I was outside his office door. I rose my left hand to knock but I hesitated, in case I woke other teachers.
"Nox." The white light coming from my wand extinguished and I was engulfed in darkness. I stood there for a moment until my vision improved. I could see the outline of the door and felt for the cold metal handle. I lifted the latch to gladly find it wasn't locked. I opened the door quickly, and took one step inside, before slowly closing it behind me, being careful not to slam it shut.

"Neville?" I whispered. Silence answered back. I guess he wasn't here. I guess I could wait for him here, perhaps he has just gone to the bathroom. Or maybe he had gone to bed already, it was nearing 11pm. I turned back around and reached out for the handle of the door when suddenly it flew open. I jumped back instantly.
"What are you doing here?" Neville asked as he saw me stood there, mouth open in shock.
"I came to see you." I said meekly, he walked straight past me and sat down at his desk, before lighting the candles in the room with his wand. The light was soft and welcoming.
"Why?" Neville looked up at me, I could tell he was still hurting.
"I needed to see you before tomorrow. It...It happens tomorrow." I said, walking slowly towards Neville. His mouth dropped and he stood up walking towards me. He stood before me and wrapped his arms tightly around me, not saying a word. I held him equally as tight and could feel myself shaking as the reality set in or how serious tomorrow was. Neville drew away, brushing my messy hair out of my face.
"I'm glad you came to see me." Neville spoke, giving a weak smile.
"I know you're not happy with what we're doing, but it's the only chance we have. This is much bigger than just you and me. This might be our best chance to stop him. If we stop him it means I can have a normal life, and perhaps the only thing I'll worry about then is my feelings for you." I raised my hand up and rested it on his warm stubbled cheek. He put his hand over mine and sighed deeply.
"I know that everything you're saying makes sense, and I can't argue with you. I just can't see you get hurt. If I were there trying to protect you tomorrow, I'd just endanger you even more. It's not that I don't care, or that I don't think you're capable of pulling this off. It's..." Neville gulped and pulled my hand away from his cheek. He grabbed my other hand and held them both between his, bending down slightly to look me straight in the eyes. "I care too much about you. When it comes to your safety, I would put that before stopping Rafi. That is why I can't be a part of this." He brought my hands up to his mouth and kissed them before letting them drop.
"I understand. I also understand how dangerous this is, but it needs to happen." I spoke softly, leaving a long silence before continuing. "If it doesn't go the way we plan tomorrow, and I get hurt or... killed. I want you to know that it was my decision. Don't blame any of the others, and do not blame yourself. I love you Neville, and I need you to be okay after this." The words flowed so freely that it took me a minute to realise what I had said. My stomach churned more than it had all day, and my throat instantly went dry. I just told my professor that I loved him, and he was going to think I was a complete idiot.

Before I could protest or take back what I had said Neville's lips crashed clumsily into mine. The force itself pushed my back slightly but I found that Nevilles arms were around my waist holding me upright. After the initial shock I raised my arms up and wrapped them around his neck, my fingers tussling his already dishevelled hair. Neville pulled away, I stared at his plump lips before pulling him back towards me for another kiss, this one was just as forceful as the first. I bit his bottom lip lightly and kissed repeatedly moving from his lips, to his cheek to his neck. My mind was void of all of my previous thoughts. I was stuck completely in this moment, and I didn't want it to end. This is what I needed. I needed a spark of happiness before the oncoming storm.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you enjoy this chapter. As always comments etc are always welcome. I always want to improve this story, and make sure it's to your liking.

Thankyou for reading. <3