Insecure

0005.

A diamond incrusted Dragonfly pendant hung from Dustyn’s neck with pride. It was her Christmas present from Zacky. The Dragonfly represented transformation and life's ever-constant process of change. Zacky had gotten her the Dragonfly pendant to remind her that in life things are always changing, whether they’re good or bad changes and that you just need to accept them instead of dwelling on them. The present was unique and special, and Dustyn was happy that Zacky had really put some thought into it, instead of just buying her something random.

“You look beautiful today,” Zacky murmured in her ear as he came up from behind her and snaked his arms around her thin waist.

Dustyn blushed, not expecting to hear that comment so many times in one day from him. “You look quite handsome yourself,” She grinned.

“I try,” He chuckled and kissed her cheek.

“Hey, Baker! Get your hands off my sister and come help us!” Brian shouted from the foyer of the Haner household.

Dustyn laughed at her brother and shook her head, while Zacky just smirked, “I’ll be back.”

She smiled and nodded before watching as he walked turned away and walked of. Dustyn drew in a breath before turning back to Michelle who was sitting beside her with a glowing smile attached to her lips. The older woman was as sweet a she could be, and Dustyn adored having such a great sister in-law that she could talk to.

“Are you and Brian announcing the news soon?”

Michelle grinned ear to ear and nodded, “As soon as we all start opening presents after dinner.”

Dustyn tucked a lock of her dark hair behind her ear, “I’m so happy for the two of you, Chelle.”

The older woman blushed ever so slightly, “Thank you, Dustyn,” She murmured.

Dustyn smiled, “Brian seems excited.”

“He is,” Michelle nodded, “It kind of surprised me at first by just how excited he is, because I wasn’t sure if this is what he wanted so soon, but much to my surprise he’s happier than he’s been in a while.”

“Of course he is! Brian has always wanted to be a dad.”

“Brian’s gonna be a dad?” McKenna questioned, popping up from behind them.

The two older women turned around and shushed the young girl, not wanting everybody to find out because she happened to overhear their conversation.

“Keep it down will yah?” Dustyn laughed.

“Sorry,” McKenna said with a shrug, “But it’s not my fault you two can’t keep your voices down.”

Michelle laughed, “Just don’t tell anyone, Kenna, okay?”

McKenna folded her arms across her chest as a Haner smirk danced across her lips, “What’s in it for me?”

Dustyn narrowed her eyes in disbelief at her younger sister, “Kenna Haner!”

“What?” She asked innocently.

“You keep that mouth of yours shut and I won’t tell mom and dad about the time I caught you sneaking out back in October.” Now it was Dustyn’s turn to smirk.

McKenna’s mouth dropped, “But you can’t! They’ll ground me!”

“Exactly,” Dustyn grinned, “Now go help mom in the kitchen and don’t say a word to anybody. This isn’t your news to share.”

“Fine!” The younger girl groaned as she rolled her eyes.

Dustyn watched McKenna turn around and head for the kitchen before turning back to Michelle who was laughing at them. Dustyn pushed a hand through her dark curls, a smile still attached to her lips.

“I can’t believe you just blackmailed her!” Michelle shook her head, “She’s only twelve, Dustyn,” She laughed.

“So?” Dustyn laughed, “Brian’s been blackmailing me for years over shit. Siblings blackmail each other; it’s just what you do.”

“I guess you’re right,” Michelle agreed, “Val and I have had our moments when we were younger.”

“And I bet Chris has done it you girls quite a few times.”

Michelle grinned, “You have no idea.

Two very long hours late, the entire family sat around the living room with their stomachs full, ready to open presents. Dustyn covered her mouth to muffle back a yawn as she leaned back against Zacky’s chest, while the two sat comfortably on the floor with the front of the couch propping them up. It had been a long day and she was pretty tired, but the day wasn’t over yet. It was only around seven, and Dustyn knew they probably wouldn’t head home until after nine, which was fine with her. She enjoyed spending time with her family, especially on Christmas.

“Someone’s tired,” Zacky murmured against her ear as he rested his hand over her thigh.

Dustyn grinned, “You have no idea.”

Zacky’s chest rumbled with laughter, vibrating her back. “You better drink some coffee or something; we still have a long night ahead of us.”

“Great,” She laughed softly.

The couple then stopped talking and kept quiet as Brian and Michelle stood to tell everyone their good news. As soon as the words ‘I’m pregnant’ slipped from Michelle’s lips, excitement burst through air and congratulations were praised to the future parents.

“A grandchild is just what we need around here!” Suzy smiled, pulling Michelle into a tight hug.

“Yeah, just what we need,” Papa Gates smirked, “A miniature Syn running around.”

“Oh great,” Zacky shook his head, “That kid is gonna be hell,” He joked as he stood up from the floor before helping Dustyn to her feet.

With narrowed eyes, Dustyn slapped Zacky’s arm. “We all know that every person in this room is excited about the baby.”

Papa Gates grinned, “You’re right, I am excited. It’s about time we get some damn grandkids.”

Brian chuckled, “Well it’s finally happening.”

“Okay, I hate to ruin the moment and all, but I am done being blackmailed?” McKenna directed her question to Dustyn with an innocent smirk.

Papa Gates, Brian, Brent and Zacky turned to Dustyn with raised eyebrows, while Suzy and Michelle stood aside talking about how her pregnancy had been going so far, and what was to come in the future.

“What is she talking about?” Papa Gates asked his eldest daughter.

“Nothing that concerns you,” Dustyn simply said, “And yes, McKenna, you’re done being blackmailed.”

“You know what,” He said, “I don’t even want to know,” He shook his head.

-x-

“Oh my God!” Dustyn groaned as she fell backwards onto her and Zacky’s large comfortable bed, “Today was long.”

Zacky chuckled as he kicked off his shoes. “Too long,” He agreed.

Dustyn looked over at him and patted the spot beside her, “Come lay with me.”

“We’re gonna do more than just lay,” He teased, climbing onto the bed before settling next to her.

Dustyn rolled over onto her stomach, smiled, and then leaned over and pressed her lips against Zacky’s. His cold metal snakebites brushed against Dustyn’s lips and she started to laugh softly as she pulled away.

Zacky raised an eyebrow at her, “What?”

“Nothing,” She breathed once her laughing had subsided.

“C’mon, tell me,” He murmured.

“It’s really nothing,” She said, “I just—I really love you, and I feel so lucky to have you and all of our friends and family.”

Zacky grinned, “I love you too, baby.”

“I know,” Dustyn smiled softly before saying, “It’s strange though.”

“What is?” His eyebrows knitted together.

“After everything that happened back in high school and everything we’ve been through, we’re lucky enough to still be in love and to still want to be married.”

Zacky sighed out just at the thought of high school, “Dustyn,” He muttered.

“Zacky, I know you don’t like talking about high school, and hell, I don’t really either. But there’s no changing what happened,” She licked over her bottom lip, “All I’m saying is that I guess I’m lucky I have someone like you who has chosen to love me and stick by my side even with all the baggage I carry.”

“I never chose to fall in love with you,” He corrected me, “That was on accident.”

Dustyn laughed, “Well accident or not, I’m glad you did fall in love with me.”

Zacky chuckled and kissed the top of her forehead, “I am too, baby.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback is always appreciated. (: