The Bruised Angel

11

The next day at school Cassie didn’t show. I waited at my locker until the last possible second before running to my first period. I made sure to pass by her locker during class switches but I never saw her. If someone was in her previous I would ask if they saw her but the answer was always the same, she’s absent. I was panicking now and before study hall I went to the guidance office.

“Alyson, what are you doing here?” Ms. Erber asked when I got there.

“I need to speak with you please.”

“Go wait in my office.”

I went in there and a few minutes later she came.

“What do you need?”

“Do you know why Cassie’s out?” I blurted out.

“Yes,” she said, shocked at my question. “She’s very sick and her mother said she’ll probably be out for a few days.”

“A few days?” I repeated.

“Yes. Cassie never said anything?”

“N-no. She was fine last night.”

“Are you alright? You look a little green. Do you think you have what she has?”

“No. I’m fine just surprised. She was just tired last night nothing bad.”

“Probably a sudden illness. Would you like to go home?”

“Yes, please.”

“Go wait in the nurse’s office while we get someone to take you home.”

I waited in the office until I was called down. Dad was waiting for me in the office.
“Are you ok?” he asked when we were in the car.

“Yeah, I just didn’t feel well.”

“You just go inside and relax; I’ll call the office and tell them I’m staying home.”
“Don’t do that. I’ll be fine by myself.”

“Alright, I trust you to not throw a party.”

“Bye.”

“Bye.”

He left and I fell onto the couch. Cassie wasn’t sick; she never got sick this quickly. Plus she was already sick this year. For as long as I’ve known her she’s gotten sick once a year no more no less unless it was just a runny nose or sore throat. Something wasn’t right here.

I got the phone and dialed Cassie’s cell. It went straight to voicemail.

“Cassie, what’s up? You’re never sick more then once a year. What’s going on? Call me back a sap.”

I hung up then dialed her house. Her dad answered.

“Hello?”

“Hi Mr. Travis? It’s Aly. Is Cassie alright? I went to school today but she wasn’t there and I went home sick, I just want to check if she’s sick like me.”

“Yes, she’s very sick. I doubt she’ll be in school this week.”

“It’s that bad?” I asked with fake shock. “Did you take her to the doctor or hospital if it’s as serious as this?”

“Of course we took her to the doctor and got her medicine. Now I have to go, she needs some soup.”

“Ok well tell her I called.”

“Of course. I’ll talk to you later Alyson.”

“Bye.”

I hung up and glared at the phone. That was very unhelpful. Now I had to think of a plan B. Ten minutes later I was in my pjs and back on the couch with no plan. I let out a screech and went up to my room. I laid on my bed with Paramore playing and tried to think of a good plan B. Nothing!

“Why is this so hard?!” I shouted. Of course no one answered me and I just got more aggravated.

I tried pacing but nothing. The only thing I thought of involved kidnapping her which included breaking and entering and some seals. Don’t ask where the seals came from. I’m such a horrible friend I can’t even think of a way to find out what’s wrong with her.

When Tam came home at 2:50 I was surrounded by books in my bed where I was trying to find at least one successful escape that I would be able to do.

“Should I ask or just leave?” she asked.

“I need to find out what’s wrong with Cassie if it’s the last thing I do!”

“Then what’s with the books?”

“I’m trying to figure out a kidnapping that I would be able to pull off and that’s not illegal.”

“I think everything you think of will be illegal.”

“There has to be something!” I said, flipping through the pages of my book furiously.

“Aly, just give it up and wait for her to come back to school.”

“I don’t want to take any chances. I-I have a bad feeling Tam.”

“You’ve been saying that for a while now.” She said before leaving my room, closing the door behind her.

“And it gets worse every day,” I muttered before going back to my books.