The Bruised Angel

16

I walked to Cassie’s house Saturday afternoon at about one. We were supposed to go to the library to work on a science essay. It was chilly out and the clouds were getting darker. Hopefully we would make it to the library before it started to pour. When I got to her house both her parent’s cars were in the driveway. I was about to knock when there was a shriek that came from upstairs. I tried opening the door but it was locked. I banged on the door but the shrieks drowned it out. Of course today I forget my phone and they don’t have neighbors. The nearest people are about ten minutes away.

I took off running down the street. I had to get help. There was no one at the nearest houses so I ran to my house. I made it there faster then I ever did before. I grabbed the phone and quickly dialed 911.

“911, please state your emergency.” The lady said calmly.

“I was just at my friends house and there was a very loud shriek the doors are locked and no one answered. I think something’s wrong!”

“What leads you to believe that?” she asked, I heard her typing on a keyboard.

“She has a lot of bruises all over her and she’s always punished.”

“Do you think she might be abused?”

“Yes!” I was trying not to scream or cry.

“Alright what is the address?” she sounded more urgent now.

“85 Maywood Drive.”

“Thank you.”

She hung up and grabbed my cell phone from the living room and ran back to Cassie’s house. All I could think while I ran was please let her still be alive.

When I got to the house there were police cars in front of it. Some officers were banging on the door while others were trying to find another way in. Finally Mr. and Mrs. Travis answered the door. They were dressed all in black and looked like they had just taken a shower.

“Can we help you?” she asked.

“Yes we got a call saying there was screaming and suspicions that a child was being abused.”

Mrs. Travis locked eyes with me and glared. Then she smiled at the officers.

“There must be some mistake. Our daughter is out for the weekend. She’s staying at her grandmother’s.”

“That’s a lie!” I yelled, running up to them. I ignored the officers yelling at me. “Her grandma died three years ago! And we were supposed to go to the library today.”

“Ma’am, we’re going to have to take a look around.”

“I’m telling you she’s not here.”

“It’s just procedure.”

“Fine.”

The Travis’ let four police officers. One officer pulled me over to the side to question me. I was distracted kept glancing at the door. A few minutes later one of the officers came out looking upset.

“She’s dead.” She said before going back in.

“What? No!” I yelled.

“Miss, please,” the one talking to me said.

“No, no, no.” was all I could sob.