Embrace

lights out

That night I was out lookin’ for someone to hold, I had grown tired of lying down alone, waking up cold. He seemed nice enough not a bad choice if I dare say so. Easy on the eyes and good at whispering lies, he wouldn’t mind me skipping out on him in the morn. So I made like a bird and preened with grace, dancing ever closer to his face. My dark eyes catching the light and I knew he had me in his sights. I breathed out and watched my breath dance in the air, flipped my head ever so, telling him to come along. Always be coy, forget kind and they’ll like you more. Simple words that have kept me ever safe thus far…

Like a moth to the flame he drew closer to me still, brushed his lips against my ear. My body releases an automatic sigh. I cut my eyes at him a warning that he shouldn’t push any further at least not yet. I had yet to have my fill I was nowhere near being decently drunk. My mind was too clear. I couldn’t lie with a stranger in such a state. He seemed to sense for he offered to buy me a drink or two or three…wasn’t this boy nice? I liked it when they were generous. I bobbed my head in the place of a yes. His grin split his face, wrinkles curling cruelly around his eyes. I blinked. And he returned to normal...was that distorted image, in my head only a trick of the light or did I have reason to worry. The drink slid across the moist surface right into my hand as if it had always been there. I threw it back without thought, desperate for the burn, the loss of control. “Ah, I see you favor your drink then?” He said into my hair and I shivered of somthin’ sinister.

I mumbled something nonsensical and he ordered me another and another until I could hardly tell which way was up and which way was down. I had reached that place where I couldn’t be found. He could be my embrace now. I felt his arm heavy on my shoulder as he steered me away from the bar. His breath sure and steady in my ears, I knew what would come next. My heart constricted in my chest and the pulse of the room dulled to nothing at all. He was telling me something, something I didn’t care about…something I couldn’t be assed to pretend to listen about.

Didn’t he know the rules? Speech ends once the liquor runs and fills. In the dark of his room I screamed and I cried - it was no surprise at all. He had to be a lousy lay, didn’t he? They were all lousy lays. No surprise at all when in the morn she was no were to be found. It wasn’t smart the way she walked the streets in the dead of night reeking of sex and drink. Had she, no class about herself, must have wondered everyone she passed.

Not that she cared by the time she vanished around the corner she’d be someone new. For this girl only lived in clubs and bars she did not exist in the light of day. As that was how it was always meant to stay. So as some other girl tumbled in bed with strange dreams in her head a hand outstretched to some unknown figure as rays of a new day shone through her window. That girl known in shadows faded and withered away.