Kid(s)

Kid(s)

She held Alexi's hand as they crossed the street. He pouted all the way, blowing up his cheeks, his blue eyes narrowed. Lux frowned, trying to balance a large Nordstrom bag in one hand while pulling her brother with the other. Walking in heeled boots and a thick pea coat from her condo in Greenwich out to a town house in Brooklyn was not her idea of a fun afternoon. Public transportation was a pain with Alexi squirming the whole way. “Alexi, please stop.”

“No!”

She pulled him into the nearest store and knelt down. She looked him straight in his wet eyes. He wiped them on the sleeve of his wool jacket. “Alexi Etienne Graham, stop this right now. I did not drive to Pennsylvania to pick you up in order to spend three days with a naughty little boy.” She held out a tissue over his nose. “Blow.” Lux cleaned up his face and led him out onto the Brooklyn streets again.

They stopped in front of a town house with rust-colored brick and a faded green door with an elegant white frame. The ivy weaved down the banister, trailing down the metal and onto the brick steps. They climbed the stairs, Alexi tugging at Lux's pea coat. “I want to leave. I don't like him.”

“You haven't even met him yet.” She quickly checked her bright blue eyes in her compact mirror for any smeared eyeliner, her lips for any coral pink imperfections.

She knocked on the door, and it opened almost immediately. A man with messy, curly hair smiled sheepishly. His antifreeze green eyes were still slightly inflamed from waking up, their usual alertness missing. “Oh, hey. C'mon in.” Lux and Alexi stepped inside; Alexi held onto Lux's leg. The living room was a light gray; a settee covered in white damask with elegant curled legs rested against the wall under a red and white zig zag rug. A dark coffee table with some worn copies of The New Yorker sat in the middle, a mounted flat screen television facing the settee and two handsome, paisley armchairs. Deejay equipment was shoved in a corner, a vast collection of records ranging from old hip hop to Radiohead messily arranged in a nearby bookshelf. Alexi jumped onto the settee and curled up, his dark eyebrows furrowed.

“Alexi, come here and say hello to Andrew,” Lux said. Alexi wiped his eyes and shook his head. “Sorry about him. He's really upset that I missed his birthday,” she murmured as they stood in the kitchen area, divided by a half wall.

Andrew sighed. “I really thought we could have fun playing trucks or something; the little guy won't even look at me.” He slipped on his moccasins, biting his lower lip. “I know you just got here, but I gotta go before the snow picks up again; I have to pick up a package.” Andrew grabbed his keys, but before he could open the door, Lux held him back. “What's up?”

“You're dressed in Flintstones pajamas, blue moccasins, and an undershirt. It's about to snow outside,” she said, reaching for the scarf on the spiral staircase.

He playfully rolled his eyes and pulled on his black pea coat. “Gosh, Mom. I'll be back soon.” Andrew smiled sadly. “Sorry. UPS just called me this morning; I think it's my new guitar.”

“Oh.” Lux nodded. She walked all the way out here with an uncooperative six year old only to have her friend leave. “I'll try to cheer him up.”

“I'll pick up lunch or something on the way back.” Andrew patted her on the back. “Good luck with Alexi.”

“Thanks.”

As Andrew left to pick up his package, Lux sat down on the settee next to her little brother. From the depths of the large Nordstrom bag, she pulled out a box wrapped in blue paper. “I'm really sorry, Alexi, but there was a blizzard; none of the planes were flying last week.” She sighed, rubbing her pixie-short hair. “It's not like I didn't want to be there; I just couldn't.”

Alexi wiped his eyes with his palms.

“But, I found this. I thought you'd like it.” She placed the box in his lap.

With a suspicious look, Alexi slowly ripped the gift wrap, revealing the box piece by piece. Lux collected the pieces in the bag, making sure not to make a mess. Alexi opened the box and pulled out a spotted horse on a checkered platform with wooden wheels. Lux unraveled the string and gently laid the horse on the ground. She handed Alexi the string. He pulled it slowly, letting the horse follow him at a steady pace. He looked behind him, watching the little plush toy roll to his feet. Alexi smiled. “I like him. I'm gonna name him Bulls-Eye.”

Lux pulled out a cowboy hat, a blue bandana, and a sheriff pin. Alexi pulled the horse around the kitchen, whispering how he was going to save the town. He jumped out from behind the kitchen half wall, pointing his index fingers out and thumbs up. “Pew, pew!” he shouted.

Lux fell, one leg draping the arm of the settee. Alexi gasped and ran to his sister. “Lux! Lux!” he shouted. He brought his face close to hers, examining her expression. She jumped up from the chair, and Alexi ran up the stairs. Lux chased him around this way and that, down the stairs, around the kitchen, around the living room, and eventually into Andrew's room, where they discovered several bookshelves crammed with novels and vinyl records, an unmade bed, a hollow-body electric guitar sitting on a stand, and an immaculate mahogany desk with a Macbook,. The window overlooking the street showed sheets of snow covering the asphalt and sidewalk.

Andrew was surprisingly clean for a guy who looked like he could care less. And she loved him for that.

Lux frowned. What if he caught a cold in this weather? “C'mon, buddy. I don't think Andrew wants us in here,” she said, picking Alexi up.

As they slowly descended the stairs, the front door opened. Andrew shivered as he slipped off his wet moccasins, brushing the snow out of his dark, curly hair. His Roman nose and full lips were tinged red. He hung his pea coat on the rack, carrying two boxes.

“Did your guitar come in?” Lux asked, looking at the boxes. Neither of them seemed long and slender enough for a guitar.

“Actually...” Andrew placed the small box onto the white breakfast table and turned to Alexi. “Hey, Alexi, you gotta close your eyes. No peeking.” Lux took off the blue bandana around Alexi's neck and tied it over his eyes. Andrew pulled out a round cake with Buzz Lightyear and Woody. He stuck a big number six candle in the center, lighting the wick slowly for it to catch fire. “Okay.”

Lux untied the bandana.

“Happy birthday!” Andrew shouted, throwing his arms in the air.

“Wow!” Alexi yelled, leaning toward the cake and trying to absorb every detail. Lux smiled. “I like Buzz. He's so cool; he can fly and shoot lasers and he can talk!”

“Lux and I have to sing first before you can have your cake.” He held three fingers.

Two.

One.

“Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday, dear Alexi
Happy birthday to you.”


Lux and Andrew clapped as Alexi blew out the candles. Lux cut the cake as Andrew searched for forks, serving Alexi first. While Alexi dug into his slice, Andrew put the cake back into the box and placed the other box on the table. “Time to open your present,” Andrew said. Alexi tore into the ordinary paper to reveal a Toy Story Train from Lego. Lux's eyes widened, and Alexi grabbed the box, hugging it.

Toy Story 3 was my favorite movie ever,” he said, jumping up and down.

“Alexi, what do you say to Andrew?”

“Um...thank you!”

“You're welcome, buddy. D'you want me to help you build it?” Andrew ruffled Alexi's light brown hair.

“Yeah!” Andrew carried the box to the living room under one arm, his fingers holding onto Alexi's little hand.

Together, they spent hours constructing the toy train, Andrew guiding Alexi, helping him figure out this piece and that. After finishing the train, the three of them played together, pretending the train was running off a cliff and Buzz, Woody, and Jessie had to save everyone inside.

Alexi yawned. Lux carried him to the settee as Andrew looked for an extra blanket and pillow. They tucked Alexi in, watching him curl up and nestle into the plush pillow.

“He's the cutest little kid,” Andrew whispered as they sat on the zig zag rug. “I really love him.”

“Me too.” Lux patted Andrew on the back. “Thanks for everything. You did a great job.”

He lifted her chin and pressed his lips against hers gently. He pulled away, his cheeks flushing. “Lux...”

She reached for his hand, and they laced their fingers. They looked out the window, watching the snow slip down the dark New York sky, together.