Descending Angel

Chapter 25

“I think we need to talk.” I turned to see the doctor from my first death. It was weird seeing the angel of your death.

“O-okay...” I walked to him, looking up at the doctor.

“You can’t change the rules. The rules are rules for a reason.” You either screw up once in your life, or you screw up your whole fucking life. I had screwed up my first life, second life and Bob’s life. And, as it seems, the devil was not fucking happy.

“I-I’m not trying to change anything. We had a conversation and decided that-”

“You don’t make those decisions.” He boomed above me, breaking my sentence in half.

“Okay... but we thought-”

“I don’t care what you thought. You made up your mind. You wanted to die. We’re giving you that, and now you’re going to kill off someone we planned on killing well into his future?” I’m sure Bob let out a nigh content sigh, knowing that he would have lived a long and healthy life well into his later years.

“Okay, but Gerard and I are in love and-”

“Death doesn’t stop for love. Either you die, or Gerard does.” I just stopped, frozen in thought. Wither me or Gerard? But that wasn’t fair! If he knew the future, he would have known I would have fallen in love with Gerard and this would have come up.

“I know it doesn’t. But we were hoping-”

“It doesn’t matter what you hope. Death comes. It’s part of life and you’re screwing with mother nature.” I was getting really pissed, he had to stop interrupting me!

“Stop interrupting me!” He just stood back, giving me some space. I was getting pissed, nothing was going the way it was supposed to. “Gerard and I love each other. Bob is in love with Gerard enough to give his life for what Gerard wants. Gerard wants me.” I turned back to a weeping Gerard and Bob. “I don’t mean anything by it guys...” I felt horrible that they had to listen to this.

“So what do you want me to do? Change Bob’s whole future, including the whole future of all his friends, family, and anyone else he meets?” I nodded. It was digging deep into my heart. I felt like I was killing Bob myself, telling the devil to take Bob instead of me. “He’s not even supposed to go to Hell Adrienne. What the fuck am I supposed to do with him?” I was at a loss. It was either me or Gerard. Might as well be me right?

I heard a shuffle from behind me. I turned to see Bob struggling out of Gerard’s grasp before coming towards us. He stood next to me, looking up at the doctor.

“I chose to give my life for their love. If you don’t let me I will kill myself either way. I swear to god I will.” For a second no one moved, the whole room was silent. I couldn’t help but think how heroic Bob was being.

The doctor chuckled suddenly, crossing his arms. He looked at us all for a moment before shaking his head.

“I have no reason to doubt you. I do know the future.” He then stood back, letting his arms go before swaying them a bit around him. “So how are you going to go about this Robert?” Everyone focussed on Bob. He faltered, not really understanding.

“Wait...I have to go through...death?” The doctor laughed out right then, his heart laugh filling the tense room.

“Of course! You didn’t think I would give up a chance to watch suffering, now would you?” He was sick. But what would you expect from the devil himself?

“I...I don’t know, I just thought you would take me with you or something to the other side.” The doctor shook his head.

“It doesn’t work like that. You need to die.” Bob looked around, I could feel the hesitation from where I was standing, yet he persisted in trying to find something to kill himself. Gerard then came to me, holding onto my side while Bob searched around the room. He eventually went upstairs. I stretched my neck up, straining to feel Gerard’s comforting lips against mine. He followed my lead and gave me that reassuring kiss. Suddenly I felt calmer, knowing that Bob will never be forgotten and we will always love him for what he is going to do for us.

Bob came back downstairs, a razor in hand. He looked up at all of us from the tool in his hands. “Nah, I’m not that emo.” Gerard chuckled through his tears and rested his head on top of mine. He was a great deal taller than me, and his head was able to take refuge on top of my own. Bob left us again, going into the kitchen.

“Come on, I don’t have all afterlife.” The doctor rolled his eyes, he wasn’t amused anymore.
Bob came back, a large knife of some sort in his hand. I was never a great cook, but I would describe it as large... defiantly not a butchers knife. At least I knew something about kitchen utensils. He stood between Gerard and I and the doctor before sighing.

“Before I go, know that I love you two. Gerard, more that life it’s self. Frank, like a little brother. A very little, little brother.” I knew Gerard wanted to say something, but he was clutching my tightly to his chest, restricting both our abilities of talking.

“Th-thank you, Bob.” I tried to choke out. I was dying inside... I was starting to feel empty... what was happening?

Bob smiled, bringing the knife to his throat and slashing it. Gerard screamed, his wails making me shut my eyes. We held onto each other, letting the swirling wind and bright lights pass as Gerard clung to me for life. I held on just as tight, letting out tears of grievance. We both dropped to the ground, still bound together by our arms. We must have sat there on the ground for a good half hour, clutching to each other, not opening our eyes. Gerard was the first one to speak.

“Bob...oh my god...Bob...what have I done?