The Paranoid

1. We are the Scientists

Believe it or not, Explosion of Ends was an absolutely nothing when it was first discovered.

Even with all the verbal bullshit the MOH section kept voicing into the microphones of their cameras, no one really tried to bring attention to Explosion of Ends. MOH was known to be full of overdramatic and failed excitement, and no one but themselves paid any attention to their thinkers or test dummies, not even the VVAs wanted anything to do with them.

Besides, back then, Explosion of Ends was just a probably in the labs. Just an idea no one really cared to notice. But with any idea, even the most ignored and outrageous, comes ‘what if’s and ‘expirementation’s. Which is actually just a mothers choice of words when explaining to her child why they would never have a family of their own, but at least it holds some truth of the tales of our own deaths.

It started with some kids from the LM section. They had to do a project for their AP - Biology class, consisting of a poster with an interputation of our future Earth and System of Stars in twenty years. They had to focus the whole project on a violent rebellion, kind of like the one in 2017, that would theoretically happen now, the year 2032, and put the most likely answer for what the universe would succumb to afterwards. Of course, it had to make sense. And, of course, they had to have real life explanations of why the rebellion happened in the first place. Etcetera, etcetera.

Apparently, the five kids had heard the basics of Explosion of Ends right after the project was assigned, and thought it was pretty cool. (One of the kids’ aunt lived in the MOH section, and she had told him in an awkward hour long SeeVoice call about the possibility of the end of worlds.) Anyways, long story short, the group had basically based their whole project on the idea that no one wanted to pay any mind towards, and just like that, it became a scientific exploration. It actually ended up becoming a contendent of a 8 Leveled Competition, thanks to their teachers insane enthusiasm. Soon after the competition it was heard by The Leader of their section, who thought it was a very doable cause. He told the rest of The Leaders, and Explosion of Ends landed its way on everyone’s SeeScreen. It had become a freaking phenomenon, just because of five teenagers in a school center.

The first time I had ever heard of Explosion of Ends, I was head first in some accented punks rented toilet. The accented punk was holding a party at the abandoned warehouse down the street of the school center, and everyone, no!, EVERYONE, was invited. Still, two years later, I have no idea how that punk had established how he knew those people at his party weren’t Eyes. He probably didn’t. But if I keep thinking that, then I’ll probably do something ridiculous and so unmanly that everyone in section AAE would want to ship me off to section WOH. And like hell that was happening.

Included in the party population, were twins from CCD on a family vacation, who made sure to bring their fair share of alcohol and illegal substances. Which was the reason for me being head first in that accented punks toilet the first place. Let me tell you, those CCD folks? They’re very generous when it comes to spreading the free - high - falling feeling.

Anyways, Hani - the accented punk holding the party? He was sitting right next to me, arm to arm, on the polished white floor, threading a hand through his bright blue hair, and grinning. Not just a smirk, not just a smile. But grinning, with teeth showing, lips stretching thin and disappearing at the edges were they met. He kept grinning, and looked me right into my red circled eyes and said, “Here I was all along waiting for the damn Explosion of Ends, when all I had to do was fill you up with some coke and rum, and wait for you to start throwing shit my way.”

I had my head right back in the polished toilet right when he was done, trying my best to ignore the shakes his giggles had caused. An intoxicated Hani wasn’t the best thing to listen to, especially when you’re at my state in mind.

Why, exactly?

Because an intoxicated Hani would make you jump off the highest cliff nearby if he knew you were listening, while a sober Hani would just tell you the alaphabet in Latin backwards. Hani was the best contradiction of himself. Hani was also my best friend.

A couple days later, a tiny elf girl with impossibly white teeth and a light blue mist around her, named Enyo, had walked up to me. She asked, “What is the Explosion of Ends?”

A simple question that had me blindsided.

I had looked at her. And kept looking. And still kept looking. She was kind of attractive, for a hobbits daughter. “What?”

She pushed some of her impossibly blonde hair out of her face, annoyance making her look less attractive and more repulsing. I can see the quick vibration running against her blue mist, before settling again. “The Explosion of Ends. I heard you and Dovev talking about it at the party.” Dovev? Oh. Hani’s last name. The name everyone, except for me and his mother, was suppose to ‘refer’ him to.

What a douche bag.

“What is it?” She continued to push some more of her blonde blonde blonde hair out of her face, and into a ponytail? Yeah, defiantly a ponytail.

“I have no idea, Enyo.”

She stuck her bottom lip out in a pout. “Liar,” she said. She crossed her arms, and stood straight, as if to make herself taller. Almost reaching my chin.

“I honestly have no clue.“ I held both my hands up in defense. “Promise.”

She had stared at me and my raised hands a few more seconds before sighing, the blue around her rippling. She then turned on her heel and walked away, not even waving a goodbye. What a joy that girl was.

When I had told Hani what had happened, his orange air that had surrounded both of us had sizzled, making a slight hissing noise. Then he had laughed, and the air we shared seemed to hug tighter between the two of us. He then proceeded to grab my face and just hold me in between his two slighty sweaty palms. It wasn’t Heaven, but it wasn’t Hell either. But everything was like that with Hani, anyways.

He then frowned before smiling again, and said, “Ciro, my dear friend. We are going to die.”